News: SuperDraft 2013

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Oct 9, 2012.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said in another thread ... enough.

2. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The MLS wesbite has released a list of their 19 top SuperDraft Prospects.

Interesting points:
    - Revs homegrown player Scott Caldwell comes in at number 7 on the list.
    - 5 players most likely will be assigned to a team as a homegrown player.
    - 3 UConn players on the list (including 2 in the top 4). I'm assuming Heaps should has and will scout these players thoroughly due to proximity.
    - 9 underclassmen on the list, meaning they'd have to sign Generation Adidas contracts with the league.

3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I think we're looking at Caldwell as a HG. After that, we could trade down a couple spaces, and potentially still pick up the best CB in the draft. I assume that one of the second rounders would be used to pick up a GK. The other two picks could be projects, an outside back and center midfielder.

Also, if Feilhaber is put on the trading block, we could easily get a high first round pick and snag a promising attacking midfielder.

4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think I'd like to see our draft day go as follows:

- Pick up Caldwell as a homegrown player
    - Draft Andre Blake at 2/3
    - Use some combination of our second rounders (21, 22, and DC's pick) to trade up into the first round.
    - Trade Benny for anything (draft picks, allocation money that we won't use, players, etc.)

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Benny's worth more a fair amount, IMO. His big salary is a problem, but on a good team, he could really shine - at a position that's tough to fill, particularly with a domestic player. I'd look for a quality left back for him.

If Blake went that high, he'd probably be the highest gk taken ever. A lot will change between now and draft day, but at this point you'd think he'd be available mid first round.

6. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Defenders and GKs tend to go lower in the draft. Which is why it might make sense to trade down. Maybe we could get both of Houstons picks (Houston's natural + Portland's natural) in a bundle in exchange for our first rounder and our second rounder. Something along those lines.

7. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Benny's value is at an all-time low. His value isn't even close to what you're imagining. I'd expect we'd get something similar to what Portland got for Kenny Cooper, allocation money and draft picks.

Brad Guzan went 2nd overall to Chivas. I'd expect that we'd be drafting third, so if we were to select Blake he wouldn't be the highest GK ever taken. There's no way this kid will get past fifth IMO. We've seen three GKs taken in the top 5 in recent memory (Guzan, Seitz, and MacMath) and I think Blake is probably the best GK to enter the draft since El Guzano.

8. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Simply not true. We've seen plenty of defenders taken early. The first ten picks is usually at least 1/3 to 1/2 defenders.

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like 1/4. But still, we're talking about trading down just a couple picks.

Also, if Colorado and Portland fail to win their remaining games and the Revs beat Montreal, we could be looking at the 5th pick. I really hope that doesn't happen. One game isn't worth losing a #2 draft selection.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    For whatever reason, there are few player for player trades - and for that reason, you may end up being right about allocation money and/or picks.

I think Benny is a classic case of a guy in the wrong situation. There shouldn't be any denying that he's got skills and composure on the ball that are hard to find in MLS. And, it's also clear that what he's doing isn't that effective here - and that the Revs lineup doesn't provide him any protection from the constant hacking he gets.

A quality team and experienced coach could do wonders with him, a la Kyle Beckerman or Andy Williams. As for a supposed bad attitude, that's pure b.s. He's frustrated, as he should be, being locked in the prime of his career in a rebuilding project.

What value he has will be determined by how many smart coaches/GMs see the opportunity he represents.

abecedarian repped this.
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly I agree. I feel (and obviously, it's just my feeling) him with a better coach and a good group of players around him, I think he'll be very good in this league.

12. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think it has to do with available resources. In leagues with fixed player pools, like most American professional leagues, the necessity to trade for players is strong, because it is one of only 3 avenues to get players. You can also draft, and/or sign potential players out of contract. So you want to trade players for other players, because the pool is fixed.

However, even in American leagues, if you look at the NFL, player turnover is so quick, that the necessity to trade is not often there. Draft picks are literally more valuable than trading in most cases.

In the case of MLS, you have the American player pool of course, but you also have hundreds of thousands of professional players to chose from throughout the world. Of course that pool is somewhat limited to budgets and other factors, but it drives down the necessity to trade for players. In this system, especially where there is a salary "cap", cap space and cost controlled young players are more valuable than marginal veteran players.

It's all about value within the given league, and what team receive in compensation. In MLS, specific players aren't as valuable as INT roster slots, DP slots, allocation and salary cap space.

13. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the general opinion of him around the league. His value might be at an all time low, but I don't think its as much:

"Wow, Benny sucks now, he isn't worth anything"

as it is

"Benny has sucked for the Revs because they suck: let's low ball them because they are paying him too much, want to unload him, and need draft picks. He also seems to not like it there".

I'm fairly confident that surrounded by quality players and a competent coaching staff, on a team with a good system, he would bounce right back. Similar to an EJ in Seattle situation.

revolution1776 repped this.
  14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, I'm sure that will happen. Unless/until a 2nd team also has interest.

Then it becomes how much he's worth to you, rather than fishing for a bargain. And, IMO, to the right team, he's worth a lot (and even more if the Revs are willing to eat some of his salary).

15. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is what matters. Presumably, more than one team would want him. That drives up the price. I could easily see LA, or NY, or Seattle going after him.

16. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is Benny can't handle adversity and this is often the difference between players who "make it" and those who don't. It's not so much that he as a bad attitude it's just he can't handle it when things don't go his way. I think the last game in Philly said a lot, two dumb yellows at a key point in the game and sadly that seamed to be more the rule then the expectation.

I do agree that he is in the wrong situation, he needs to be on a team where he is a role player and not expected to be a key player, he is much more Andy Williams then Kyle Beckermen.

17. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ehhh... those teams would have cap issues, I'd think.

If the Revs want a substantial return, I'd think they'd have to eat a good portion of Benny's contract.

If they just want to get him off the books (...which wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing in the world, IMO) then they're not gonna get much.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think they have a lot of flexibility with cap space, so I think they are in a perfect position to keep some of his salary in order to get more value in return. I think he should be able to bring a pretty darn good left back in return, one who is going to be a much lower salary, so why not pay some money to fill a big hole. It's only be for a year or two anyway.

I hope they don't go in thinking they must trade him, rather than thinking they can trade him.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, but, but, Bilello said signing Toja put them right up against the cap! ;)

20. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Can a HG player refuse to sign with the club that "grew" them? If Caldwell is in that 7-10 range, he's likely looking at Dallas-Philly-Montreal-Columbus or something like that. I'd almost rather roll the dice there than play on turf in Foxboro in front of crickets.

21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure, but I think another team would have to trade for his rights.

22. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Follow the Patriots lead and go defensive
    We get Caldwell straight up.
    Draft a left fullback
    Trade Benny and bring in an experienced center back
    Draft a GK but not Blake - saw him only once but was not impressed with his decisions

23. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes people think Caldwell is anything other than Rowe 2.0? A small skillful player who looks better in the college game than in MLS. This team needs a midfielder with PRESENCE on the pitch, not another gnat to line up with Rowe, Cardenas and Nguyen.

24. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't know nearly enough about Caldwell to make any assumptions about him. I've only seen him play once or twice in last year's national tournament. However, he's a player that we will be awarded at no cost. There are little to no expectations for him. What's not to like?

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? We can trade one away. He still has value. There are always other teams that need gnats.