News: SuperDraft 2013

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's one extra game, plus the disadvantage of playing on the road in a potential MLS Cup. You're blowing it way out of proportion.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's talking about the new playoff format, which was only implemented last year. By adding a play-in round for the 4 and 5 seeds, it puts them at a distinct disadvantage.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it is impossible for a 4/5 seed to win it all, but the new format makes it harder than it used to be.

2011:
    NY beat Dallas in one wildcard game, then lost both legs to LA (3-1 aggregate)
    COL beat CMB in the other wildcard game, then lost both legs to KC (4-0 aggregate)

3. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I understand what he's saying. I just disagree with his sentiment that a wild card team will never win the Cup given the current format.

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Challenge accepted.

Using only top 5 picks in the last 8 years (2005-2012) I found 15 players that I thought were worthy of the All-SuperDraft Team (Year Drafted, overall pick):

Darren Mattocks, F VAN (2012 - #2)
    Chad Barrett, F LAG (2005 - #3)
    Darlington Nagbe, M POR (2011 - #2)
    Sam Cronin, M SJE (2009 - #2)
    Brek Shea, M DAL (2008 - #2)
    Danny O'Rourke, M CMB (2005 - #4)
    Maurice Edu, M --- (2007 - #1)
    Ike Opara, D SJE (2010 - #3)
    Omar Gonzalez, D LAG (2009 - #3)

Tony Beltran, D RSL (2008 - #3)
    Sean Franklin, D LAG (2008 - #4)
    Bakary Soumare, D PHI (2007 - #2)
    Marvell Wynne, D COL (2006 - #1)
    Ugo Ihemelu, D DAL (2005 - #5)
    Brad Guzan, GK --- (2005 - #2)
    To be honest, this team is not as impressive as I expected it to be, None of the last five #1 picks made it.

5. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That team would beat the Revs 4-0. The Back 4 is weak, but I doubt Brettschneider would be able to even get the ball to Guzan

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying teams have an advantage is very different from saying odds are against something and saying it will never happen.

7. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate the idea of trying to tank to get a draft pick (in any sport, but especially in MLS where picks are about 30% as valuable as in leagues where most talent comes through the draft). When you don't play every match to win, you are reinforcing in your players the mindset that winning isn't all that important.

You can easily draw a parellel between that methodology and that which brought us the Joe Public debacle. I'd argue that that was the "beginning of the end" for the Nicol-era quality core.

8. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, that is what happens in leagues that reward failure.

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed completely. I've said this for a while, the willingness to forego Joe Public game and the USOC semifinal in DC in the same year ... that's where the down-fall started.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not so much the SuperDraft as it is the Allocation Order. That seems to be the only way this front office can attain decent players.

11. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's a Catch-22 -- attain decent players, say Benny, train them to fit the team, don't achieve results, don't put forth an effort to win once you're out of it, see decent players' attitude self-destruct.

12. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What's interesting, is the Allocation Order hasn't worked out that great for teams that need talent either recently- it's definitely a 50/50 proposition.

Charlie Davies - on paper a success (although a significant % of his production was through PKs), but seriously hurt his playing reputation with his diving and complaining.
    Kenny Cooper- underwhelming in Portland, solid production alongside Henry but it's tailed off.
    Benny - solid 2011 season, disaster 2012 season.
    Freddy Adu - honestly the biggest bust of the whole process, a complete nonfactor for the Union.
    Bakary Soumare - has been injured most of this season
    Luis Robles - spot starter for NYRB, nothing that impressive so far.

The successes have been Jay DeMerit and Eddie Johnson, and the jury is still out on Toja.

Revolution909 repped this.
  13. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We'll have three 2nd round picks this year. We acquired Chivas' 2nd round pick in the Shalrie trade and DC's 2nd rounder for the rights to Fred last season.

This means that our picks will be 2 or 3, 21, 22, plus DC's 2nd rounder as well. Picks 21 and 22 should be a decent enough package to trade up to the early to mid teens IMO. Should be an interesting draft from a Revs perspective.

14. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they said the USA would not beat the Soviets in 1980

They said in 2002 with the new NFL playoff format that no wild card team (#5 and #6 ) would ever win the Super Bowl by having to win 3 straight on the road. Guess what 3 of the last 7 have done that.

Crooked repped this.
  15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'd add the UConn 2011 Men's Basketball team's Big East Tournament performance to that list as well. Five days, five games, five wins. I'm sure there were plenty of people who were saying that it would never be done when they expanded the BET.

16. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would seriously consider drafting that GK from UConn. If Shuttleworth isn't the heir apparent, and nothing he's done this season or last season has indicated he is, then it's time to find the new netminder. Reis isn't getting any younger, and the flaws in his game are growing with age.

I would vote we pick up that GK, waive Shuttleworth, give the new kid a year to learn under Reis, let Reis retire at the end of 2013, and install the kid.

RevSoccerMV repped this.
  17. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I really like Blake and think he could be a stud, but do you really want to waste the second or third pick on a foreign GK? You could also argue that the Revs won't use the SI spot anyway and probably are incapable of finding a quality GK on their own.

18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    lol here we go again with nonsense draft talk

19. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You're no different that JDEsq. If you don't have anything to offer on the topic, or simply don't enjoy talking about it, then don't visit the thread. Seems easy enough.

Achowat and patfan1 repped this.
  20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling that Reis is done as of this year.

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I tend to agree, and I kind of hope it's the case. Offer him a job as a GK coach and have him mentor a young GK (not Shuttleworth).

Revolution909 repped this.
  22. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Oh, when did you become a mod?

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sweet burn, bro. Just keep on trolling, everyone enjoys it so much.

25. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    lol you are such a cry baby