Super Draft 2009

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Sattva, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sattva

Sattva New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    On the Road
    Now that they have put the balls and uniforms away for the winter looks like this is the best MLS game in town. :D We have seven picks and four in the first two rounds. I suspect we can mine a few MLS quality players with that many picks. Let the conjecture begin.

2. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Sattva

Sattva New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    On the Road
  5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are looking at the draft before trades,,,,scroll down further, looks to be correct

6. Sattva

Sattva New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    On the Road
    Thanks. I stand corrected.

7. Voodoo United

Voodoo United Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Easton, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You figure with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds there has to be a trade in the works. Last year we got Albright maybe this year we can get a proven striker or add some quality depth to the bench

8. Sattva

Sattva New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    On the Road
    They just might package some of their picks to a team that wants/needs extra picks (ie Seattle) in order to move up. I wonder what Seattle would want for the #1 pick? (Actually, the history on top picks hasn't been all that great. ;))

9. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the history on most picks hasn't been all that great. It's the nature of the draft.

10. Mud Grunt

Mud Grunt New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    The Pentagon

----but, the vast majority of MLS players come through the draft. The key is drafting smart.

11. Sattva

Sattva New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    On the Road
    Mods may want to Sticky so we won't have to go digging as things heat up. Final Four happening this weekend and 3rd degree GA list building.

12. Sports Cactus

Sports Cactus New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I want Toni Stahl

watched him play a bunch when I would go up to UConn for games

GREAT midfielder, directs really well, not bad coming back to help on defense, good vision with his passes

"Prior to UConn: Played for Finnish power HJK, helping lead the U17 squad to the 2001 and 2002 National Championships before becoming a member of the U18 team in 2002 ... trained with FC Espoo during the 2004 and 2005 training sessions ... played and started in every match with the Men’s 2 Division during the 2004 season, tallying six goals and 11 assists."

13. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the players in the draft become weaker and weaker each season as more and more of the most talented players are forgoing college and mls for european contracts. other than 4 or 5 players per draft, the superdraft is reletively useless.

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen them play twice this year and Preistley was the one that stood out to me. I thought Stahl was just average

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Only a freshman.

On the other hand, Omar Gonzalez from Maryland would be a nice pick-up if he comes out early as a Generation Adidas player.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of today, here's a list of our SuperDraft picks. I'm a bit confused on the second round pick from LA, as 3rd Degree says that FCD owns it, but I know we traded for LA's second round pick with the Franchino trade. So ... ?

• 1st Round -- Pick 9
    • 1st Round -- Pick 15 (From Columbus for Noonan)
    • 2nd Round -- Pick 18 (From LA for Franchino)??
    • 2nd Round -- Pick 24
    • 3rd Round -- Pick 38 (From KC for Cristman)
    • 3rd Round -- Pick 39
    • 4th Round -- Pick 54

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    With this year's depth amongst those players who should be available we should be able to get a pretty decent prospect at #9.

18. untowardbehavior

Jun 28, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Does anyone know if there's going to be a Supplemental Draft in 2009 despite the demise of the Reserve League and the cuts to the roster?)

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that's still the plan.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I checked with Buzz over at 3rddegree, and he noted that FCD's told him that they have LA's second round pick (their natural pick). So I'm not sure as to what's going on there.

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Toni Stahl just finished his junior year at UConn.

22. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Does anyone know why names like Alejandro Bedoya and O'Brian White were left off this list? I know White was hurt, but I thought he would be ready for the combine. Does it mean Bedoya is heading over seas?

23. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    MLS Draft Combine Invitee List (courtesy of Ives Galarcep):

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/12/mls-announces-draft-combine-invitees.html#more

GOALKEEPERS (7): Chris Brown (Boston College); Evan Bush (University of Akron); Steward Ceus (University of Albany); Alec Dufty (University of Evansville); Neal Kitson (St. John’s University); Milos Kocic (Loyola College); Sean Milligan (Dartmouth College)

DEFENDERS (20): Lyle Adams (Wake Forest University); Calum Angus (Saint Louis University); Trevor Banks (Old Dominion University); Darius Barnes (Duke University); Rhett Bernstein (Brown University); Matt Besler (Notre Dame University); Evan Brown (Wake Forest University); Oscar Castillo (University of Connecticut); Chris Clements (University of Tulsa); AJ Delagarza (University of Maryland); Paul Gerstenberger (Boston College); David Hertel (Michigan State University); Wes Knight (College of Charleston); Otto Loewy (Winthrop University); Yohance Marshall (University of South Florida); Ryan Mirsky (Southern Methodist University); Babjide Ogunbiyi (Santa Clara University); Kyle Russell (Coastal Carolina University); Seth Sinovic (Creighton University); Jack Traynor (Notre Dame University)

MIDFIELDERS/FORWARDS (39): Kwame Adjeman-Pamboe (George Mason University); Quincy Amarikwa (University of California-Davis); Brandon Barklage (Saint Louis University); Josh Boateng (Liberty University); Graciano Brito (Quinnipiac University); Pav Castenada (Duke University); Aaron Clapham (University of Louisville); Raphael Cox (University of Washington); Sam Cronin (Wake Forest University); Dylan Curtis (University of California-Davis); Doug DeMartin (Michigan State University); Jokul Elisabetarson (University of North Carolina-Greensboro); Michael Fucito (Harvard University); Andrei Gotsmanov (Creighton University); Mike Grella (Duke University); Alex Grendi (University of Pennsylvania); Juan Guerra (Florida International University); Jeffrey Harwell (Southern Methodist University); Bryan Irwin (University of Portland); Richard Jata (Campbell University); George John (University of Washington); Keum Sung Kim (Loyola University); Michael Lahoud (Wake Forest University); Ryan Maduro (Providence College); Patrick Murray (Furman University); Kyle Patterson (Saint Louis University); Nick Perra (University of California-Santa Barbara); Chris Pontius (University of California-Santa Barbara); Matt Poole (University of Virginia); Akeem Priestley (University of Connecticut); Daniel Revivo (Winthrop University); Tosaint Ricketts (University of Wisconsin-Green Bay); Brad Ring (Indiana University); Chris Salvaggionne (University of North Carolina-Charlotte); Jordan Seabrook (University of South Florida); Marcus Tracy (Wake Forest University); Nick Zimmerman (James Madison University); Graham Zusi (University of Maryland)

24. Mud Grunt

Mud Grunt New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    The Pentagon
    From our recent draft history other a local or two I guess we can cross off most of those on the above list except those from Duke and WF. ;)

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could this be the first combine in MLS history without even one UCLA player (unless I'm missing someone's name)?