Super Bowl vs World Cup, Viewership & Value

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by ctruppi, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drogo

Drogo New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Sweden
    I think how RichardL explains how the Super Bowl was reported in the Daily Telegraph pretty much sums up the all European newspapers.

2. To be fair, the Dutch popular press did pay attention to the Superbowl before and after the match, like the AD did in its Sport section with two or three tabloid size pages, of which a picture of the stadium almost covered tow pages.

3. vulkan02

vulkan02 New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Yes it was a joke, some of the ads could be "culturally incorrect" depending from which country you watch it in.

4. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Does the USA loose often against other countris in basketball?
    ie Argentina and Greece i think

5. MLSnets21

MLSnets21 New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Like I said, international competitions dont have ANYTHING to do with the NBA.

6. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    anyway, were getting off topic

7. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Sports Illustrated did an article on this topic last year and the true number after doing real research is 85 million worldwide watch the super bowl. The billion number they put out there is potential homes that get the game it isn't who actually watched. That Forbes article is based on a one day event. The World Cup and Olympics are far more valuable over the course of the tournaments.

8. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I would assume one source to justify such a claim would be this link.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2749584

'The NFL's Super Bowl tops Forbes' first list of the world's most valuable sporting events brands, worth $379 million. Following the Super Bowl were the Summer Olympics ($176 million) and soccer's World Cup ($103 million).'

However the calculation for the FIFA world cup was done by averaging revenues over the period of the world cup which automatically makes it at an inherent disadvantage .

Superbowl is the biggest day in American sports - its an advertizing frenzy .You can also add the fact that American football is an advertisement friendly sport .(just like the other big sports in America - basketball and baseball:rolleyes: ).So it does boost the revenue stats which is very disproportionate to its popularity as a sport.

While the American media loves to boast about a non-existent figure of 1 billion watching the game , the reality is that the number would be close to 100 million .(since America would be the only country with a substantial number of viewers)

On the contrary , football boasts a universal audience that includes every continent minus antarctica .Countries like China is crazy about football .A football crazy country with a population over one billion - sorry American football , the world cup viewership in China alone will beat the viewership of the Superbowl .

9. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    No it doesn't... but that's besides the point. And the point is, the way you are talking about the NBA now, is exactly similar to what we used to say about the our national team 5-6 years ago(the Dream Team?).
    Back then, they were almost invincible. Now, they are being bitch-slapped on a frequent basis. And they are all NBA stars.

Did any NBA champion ever compete against another country's club champion? If not, then it reeks of arrogance to come out and say that you have no problem believing the NBA winner to be a "World Champ".

It's no different than saying that Europe's Champion League winner is crowned as the "World Champ".

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think there's anything too arrogant about an NBA team declaring itself the best team in the world, but calling the NBA winners "world champions" makes the insinuation that the NBA is a world championship, which it blatantly isn't.

It's easy to say the best team from the rest of the world wouldn't beat the NBA champions, but the point is they never get the chance.

Anyone who actually gets annoyed by it though really needs to find their nearest dope dealer and buys a month's supply.

11. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Here's what we have...we have the Super Bowl being viewed by a record audience in the US this year....93 million...average...with slightly over 110 million watching at least a part of the game. The average ticket price was close to $700. The average commercial was probably close to 2.2 million dollars. So that's about 180.0 million gross right there....I don't know where the extra money comes from but rights fees are probably around 50 million in the US and who knows what outside. All and all, a great event for us in this country, but not so great outside. The WC is a great event outside the US, and on par with the NBA finals in the US.

12. ElGuapo

ElGuapo New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    MN
    saw the same article as well. I doubt more than 90 million people worldwide watch the superbowl.

13. Loco4Footie

Loco4Footie New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No way the Super Bowl draws more viewership than the world cup. Most of the world is asleep when the Super Bowl begins, and why would people who don't pay attention to football during the regular season suddenly stay up untill the early morning to watch its championship game? There are pockets of viwership, of course (England, Germany, and American expats and armed forces personnel), but I doubt the world-wide viewership is more than 20 million (U.S. figures excluded).

14. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ITALY-FRANCE = 715 million viewers ( over 600 million in home TV ). To see the sites of the INFRONT and of the FIFA.

15. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    I watched the Super Bowl on ESPN Asia in Hong Kong. And you'll be surprised on the # ads during the telecast.

There is exactly 1 commerical, by the web-site www.Asiaxpat.com. It's a resource site for American expats in Asia.

The rest of the commercial breaks, all you'll see are ESPN Asia's own promos of the upcoming weeks

- the Champions League is reaching the knock-out stage
    - upcoming game between England U-21 and Spain U-21
    - Carling Cup final between Arsenal and Chelsea
    - a big bicycle tournament in Malaysia
    - snooker, and other sports

I've seen the Champions League ads at least 30 times during the telecast. The funny thing is, there aren't too many people among the audience who know about both European soccer and the NFL. I am probably the only one, and a diehard on both. I've been around people (Chinese Americans) who don't give a hoot about Euro soccer and can only talk about the Yankees, Lakers, and Cowboys. I've been around local people and Chinese who returned from the U.K., who don't know jack about American sports.

So promoting the CL, the Carling Cup and England vs Spain to an American NFL audience would be a total waste of time. I mean, how often do you see a promo of "watch the upcoming Barcelona X Chelsea group stage game on ESPN2" during ESPN's Monday Nite Football? or vice versa?

16. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, the Nielsen Ratings do not account for people in bars, restaurants, hotels, or any other non-residence. Dorms do count now.

I watched the Super Bowl in a hotel room with my wife this year. Last year, I was with her and about 100 people at a sports bar. The Nielsen Rating only keeps track of the percentage of households in America that have the game turned on, and the share keeps track of how many TVs, out of the ones turned on at the time, are tuned to the Super Bowl. Usually, the rating and share are about the same. When a lot of TVs are off (i.e., people at other places watching) then those at home watching it spike the share.

In Indianapolis, the rating was 55.5 with a 79.4 share. Meaning 79.4 % of all televisions in that market that were turned on, were turned on to the Super Bowl, while 55.5 % of all households had at least one TV on airing the game. The huge difference? Tons of people not at home with no TV on watching at sports bars, etc.

The numbers are not so staggering when not discussing the 'home' markets of the Super Bowl teams, but the trend is still applicable.

Sykotyk

17. BigKeeper

BigKeeper Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Applying all that, can you even imagine how many real viewers there are then of the World Cup. I'm pretty sure Soccer people around the world like to have a drink or two while watching a game.
    I would even bet that the neilsen ratings make alot of assumptions on their
    numbers.;)

18. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre

Yes I think NBA teams could lose....and the US teams do have something to do with that as they are made of NBA players...further more THEY ARE NOT THE WORLD CHAMPS without playing in a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP! You are typically falling into the same bullcrap. So is the Brazilian Champ automatically the World Champ because thats where the best Soccer is brewed...no!

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's for sure!

From a quick google search, I see several references estimating the non-US based Superbowl audience at about 8 million. Or about 2 million viewers outside North America. And, yes, there are about a million Americans living in Germany or the UK alone. A total of 2.5 million living outside North America. So we know the nationality of a big chunk of those 2 million non-North American based viewers.

So in terms of viewership/popularity, the Super bowl isn't the World Cup, it isn't the olympics, it isn't the UEFA Champions League final. Heck, its not even comparable to a Liverpool - United or Barca - Madrid league match. More like the African Champions League final when its played between 2 clubs from the same nation.

20. vulkan02

vulkan02 New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Pretty much all summed up!

21. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Actually, the Super Bowl viewership tends to exceed viewership of Champions League final, per reportable figures. Of course, adding in Asia, where tracking viewership is almost impossible in some countries, would probably skew the result either even, or in favor of Champions League (a lot depends on which teams are playing - Super Bowl viewership, by comparison, is a lot more stable).

22. Did the Nielsen thing take into account the squares with giant screens with 50 000 up till 100 000 people watching:)

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But all the viewers are from one country. The Super Bowl to America is no bigger than the Cairo-derby is to Egypt. Forget about the UEFA CL final. In terms of global popularity, its the Egyptian derby... at best. :cool:

24. Warbuxx

Warbuxx Member

Jun 23, 2002
    I'd like to see a breakdown of these figures, Gosya.

But although it may be difficult to track viewership in Asia, it is a significant factor and must be emphasized. Asia's population is massive.

Both the CL Final and the Superbowl take place at inconvenient hours for many Asians, because of their time zones. But I'm willing to bet that a far greater percentage of Asians watch a replay/rebroadcast of a 90 minute CL final than watch a rebroadcast of a 3 hour plus superbowl or even an edited version thereof. Nations with significant population sizes which have a greater interest in soccer than American Football include India, China, Japan and both Koreas. Frankly, I don't think it's even close.

25. ElGuapo

ElGuapo New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    MN
    Yeah, in your dreams