Suggestions To Improve The Fort

Discussion in 'New England Supporters Clubs' started by Chowda, Nov 19, 2007.

1. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped.

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Agreed.

3. revsfan44

revsfan44 Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Providence / Amherst
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm not saying don't watch the game, but I'm there to cheer or the Revs, and I'll sing for 90 minutes and wave a flag until my arm falls off. if I get too invested with what happens on the field, like at the MLS Cup, that hurts the Fort's ability to cheer for the team. If we are sucking, that's when we need to be at our loudest. But if I get really invested with the play, I'll be down and I wouldn't be able to cheer my loudest.

but that's just me, and i understand i'm just part of the group, and you all can do as you wish.

4. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: How do you know when to cheer louder/harder if you're not watching the game?

5. revsfan44

revsfan44 Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Providence / Amherst
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i try to cheer my loudest/hardest all the time.

6. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume the first we here was meant to be "the Revs", right?
    So... how do you know they're sucking if you're not watching the game?

7. thecastigador

thecastigador Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Boston (JP)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this argument is wicked awesome and intelligent

8. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Just a reminder, this thread is meant to be "suggestions to improve The Fort", not to have a discussion over whose is bigger.

So, anyone have any meaningful ideas they are interested in pursuing?

9. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And your comments are so incisive and pertinent.

10. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are, this argument is stupid. seriously, do you think that the "winner" of this little tryst is going to prove anything worth while?

11. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this argument is wicked awesome and intelligent

:rolleyes:

12. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were going to declare a winner in these unhelpful and argumentative posts?:eek:I would have come up with something better, but I am sitting up after 5 hours sleep in the last 48 hours trying to keep the furnace whose switch keeps tripping off going until morning. Sorry to be cranky.

13. Dougly

Dougly New Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Cape Neddick, Maine
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, priorities.....

14. thecastigador

thecastigador Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Boston (JP)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that the point of this thread?

15. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that the point of bigsoccer? To see who has the biggest balls behind a keyboard?

16. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found a plan for a PVC banner holder which looks really easy to put together, lightweight and easy to put up and take down. Also easy to attach the banner so when we get a new one we could display it at the tailgate, be more visible to the incoming cars.

17. NeSpazz

NeSpazz New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    Framingham
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the biggest balls behind a keyboard! Muhahahaha!!! :p

Seriously...this argument/"lively debate" will never be solved. Until everyone is the same kind of fan, supporting their team in the same kind of way.....I don't see that happening anytime soon and I am sure no one else does either.

What I can speak of is the "my seat/my row" argument. I have never heard anyone complain about people being in "their" seats, and I have been sitting in the Fort since 1999. We usually sit in the area of the 10th row, sometimes lower, so we have the ability to see what goes on all around the section. What my problem is, and a number of other people agree, is that the section is a standing section. Those folks who come into the section, place themselves in the first 20 or so rows, and then sit, are given grief, and rightfully so. Why come into a specifically named standing section and just sit? Put yourself in the top section of the Fort if you want to sit. If you are in the first 20 or so rows, you are expected to stand and cheer. Waving flags or banners or throwing streamers is your prerogative, but no one should be sitting.

I don't care what people say about sitting wherever they want, they paid for their ticket, blah blah blah. If you come into the first half of the Fort and just sit there, then you are asking for trouble. In fact, the times I have spoken to people about standing and cheering have responded by calling me names and laughing it off, which means to me they aren't there for the right reasons in the first place--to support the team.

It is as simple as this--read the sign when you come into the section. If you choose to sit, then expect to be jeered. There are seats in the rest of the stadium for you to sit in--the Fort is for standing and cheering.

Spazz :D

18. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [youtube]6iZ2gK8M86U[/youtube]

We've got the biggest balls of them all!!!

19. The Kilt

The Kilt New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Rossi
    I couldn't agree with you more about the issue of sitting in the fort. If we could eliminate that I think that it would really help the overall atmosphere of the section.
    However, I think that posting about it on bigsoccer is pointless. I highly doubt that anyone who posts here or reads these forums would sit in the fort. Everyone here, even newbies, are fully aware that the fort is the supporter's section where standing/cheering is the rule, not the exception as it is in the rest of the stadium.
    The people that come into the fort and sit down are either people who didn't read the big sign on the way in and just have no idea (understandable if it is their first time and they bought the cheap seats), are trying to start an argument to look cool to their friends (teenagers are mostly in this group) or are just stupid (end up leaving by halftime or standing up cause everyone just bashes them).
    So although it is a good suggestion, it is not viable and not something that we can fix because the people that need to get the message aren't on the boards to read it.

20. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I made the same arguement and was attacked for it. Some actually think its ok to sit in the first 20 rows of the Fort.

21. ZZZenga

ZZZenga Member

Aug 10, 2006
    CT
    I'd actually go a step further and say it's not okay to sit anywhere in the fort. There have been times where I've been in the last row or two of the standing group and I've repeatedly been told to sit down so the people sitting behind me can see better.

22. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ideally the whole Fort should stand but I know some don't want to. However if you are in the "heart" of the Fort and aren't participating or standing, and making a fuss about it, you should be rightfully thrown out of the Fort and placed in another section. To me, you are just causing trouble.

23. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what this calls for... a bigger sign at the top of the section! Make it so damn big that you could only miss it if you're blind! (And then, why would you be at a soccer game in the first place?)

:p

24. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Larger improved signage makes sense, or a roped queue at the entrance with a 3 or 4 of these ...

[​IMG]

25. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we get velvet ropes and a bouncer?