Suggestion to get the Chivas deal done, and make most folks happy?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by jri, Oct 20, 2003.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Here's a suggestion to get the Chivas deal done, and make everyone (mostly) happy:

(1) Let Chivas have LA (2nd team in LA), but they have to play in Colisseum and/or build a 2nd soccer specific stadium (!) a certain number of miles from HDD

(2) Have a clause in contract, stating that if Chivas "harms" Galaxy attendence/revenue by x, then they will owe x in compensatory damages...keep this in effect for several years

I like Chivas idea in LA..they will draw gangbusters....I also don't think they'll effect Galaxy that much (attendence wise), and derby days would be amazing, real events, and great TV...

As far as rules, no. of Mexicans......who really cares (except for a hard-core few here)...the benefits of having another big $$ owner to the table, and have a great attendence franchise, a franchise that can even help attendence in OTHER cities (surely games in Colorado and Dallas will draw 10k more than other games on average), and having a team everyone can hate, and increases league awareness, etc.....outweighs problems created by having one team have too many foreignors/Mexicans..

If nothing else, MLS can put in contract ("for first 5-7 years, we'll do it your way....but if it starts materially harming league or reputation, you will have to switch to league rules, etc...).

Let's make money first boys and girls and get MLS on the map....before we get all so anal about rules...

2. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a second team in LA is not the best idea for MLS quite yet. There are too many other markets out there without a team and the league would benefit more having a team there then they would with another in LA. Not that I think San Diego is one of those markets. I would prefer Houston, Portland, Rochester or Philly more. As far as I'm concerned San Diego sucks as a sports market.

3. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Wow jri-- we actually agree.

I too think that San Diego would be better than LA, but the Coliseum would be fine with me-- I would like to see the HDC remain aligned closely with the US nats. I think your idea about having an agreement to pay compensatory damages might undermine MLS's single entity status, but I'm sure something could be worked out behind closed doors.

As for foreigners-- I don't really care what the limit is as long as competitive balance is maintained and no laws are broken. MLS's current competitive balance already includes a certain lack of transparency, so hopefully nothing Chivas does will outstrip that in outrageousness. I'd really like Chivas USA to make an commitment to develop Mexican-American players-- even if there aren't that many who will eventually be professionals.

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I nominate you for the committee KP....

5. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Chivas should be under the same rules as the other teams in MLS. Simple as that.

6. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    We all want to see expansion in MLS, but at what price. If Chivas is allowed to bypass MLS rules, then what precident does that set for the rest of the league and potential investors? To me, This seems like a short term solution in order to bring new blood in to the league, but it is also something that could be potentially detrimental to both MLS and American player development. This isnt the Mexican league, and as an Americanfan, I have no interest in watching a team of mexicans play in my league every week. This shortsighted deal equates to money, nothing more and nothing less, and thats a sad thing. This could signal the crack in the foundation of MLS, which could potentially open NASLike floodgates. This league is advertised as a basis for the development of the "American" player, the addition of a primarily foriegn team seems a bit counter productive in this regard. MLS should be ashamed.

7. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, just because the teams suck doesn't make the city a bad market. The Padres drew more than 2 million people this season once again which is amazing concidering they were in last place.

8. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    1. Allow slight adjustments for roster changes.
    2. DONT allow Spanish to be the main language of the team... If it ends up happening, let it, but dont make it "official."

3. If he wants to play games with the location, force him to pay more $$ for the team, or commit to a SSS.....

In other words, Even if the are desparate to get the deal done, dont simply keel over at every request...

I Actually like the idea I read in another thread about having the team in New Mexico....