Subliminal Message About Atlanta MLS Team Name...?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by FC Zanarkand Abes!, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Terminus for the fan group... hate it for the team name.

The team name must consist of Atlanta something... we are fooling ourselves otherwise.

Top Ten Picks
    1. Atlanta Legion FC
    2. Atlanta Locomotive FC
    3. Atlanta Olympic FC
    4. FC Atlas Atlanta
    5. FC Apollo Atlanta
    6. Atlanta Phoenix FC
    7. Atlanta Empire FC
    8. Atlanta Athletic Club
    9. Atlanta Vanguard FC
    10. Atlanta Crossroads FC

Honorable Mention:
    Atlanta Terminus FC
    Atlanta Chiefs FC
    Club Atletico Atlanta
    Atlanta Firebirds FC
    Atlanta Resurgens FC
    International Atlanta FC
    Atlanta Centennial 96
    Atlanta Piedmont FC
    Atlanta Railers FC
    Atlanta Walkers FC
    Atlanta Dukes FC
    Atlanta Harriers FC
    Atlanta Forest FC
    Atlanta Alliance FC
    South Hub Atlanta FC

2. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Atlanta SEC

Arid_Torpor and sawillis repped this.
  3. jmadiso1

jmadiso1 Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I just don't see why it'd need to be explained. It sounds cool. it'd be Terminus country the same way the Braves own the south. Eh. Everyone thinks its impossible to succeed here anyways. screw it, lets go all out I say!

That being said my first choice is Phoenix Atlanta (Atlanta Phoenix) .

sawillis repped this.
  4. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    He you go Atlanta Chiefs...with a Falcons twist

[​IMG]

5. danielofthedale

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #105 danielofthedale, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    I just think that for an American sports team it will be all but lock to have a city/state location in the name. In this case I think Atlanta will be in the name.

I love the Chief name, but we can't do it with an Indian in this day and age. Could go with public service chief logo along the lines of PD or FD but the Chicago Fire already have a fireman helmet as the logo so that rules that out.

I also hate the idea of FC in the name. We call it soccer, the league is called Major League SOCCER, all the media has been talking about a soccer team, and most people will tell you the football team is the Falcons.

sawillis repped this.
  6. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Look at Arsenal Ace with all the talent...looks good though I don't think Chiefs would pass muster

7. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA

The only way the Chiefs could be used is if there is some sorta approval/relationship with the Creek and Cherokee tribes. It was more or less just me messing around.

I do agree that we cannot use FC. The Atlanta Falcons are already the Atlanta Falcons Football Club. It is never said, but legally that is the name. Much like the Atlanta Braves Baseball Club.

8. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    Trust me i am only marginally talented...as in i don't use MS Paint

9. GaSouthern

GaSouthern Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I want us to keep it simple and just go with Atlanta FC and we can use the phoenix on the crest/shield and "Resurgens" can be the team name but not in the official team name, more of a mascot. Similar to Arsenal Gunners.

Dr. Dogfish repped this.
  10. ATLNewsDog01

ATLNewsDog01 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Winder, GA
    I know you mean in the US, but what about teams like Chelsea
    As much as I get that route, especially with some really good nicknames that are just confusing because of how unique they are, I want an official damn name/mascot. I don't want to try to sell this team to the casual fan with extra questions. It's difficult enough when you say Silverbacks and people want to know who the heck that is. With Atlanta FC, you're adding "What's the mascot?" "Why isn't there a mascot?" "What does FC stand for?" "I thought they played soccer."

Also, as someone who has covered a number of soccer games, just an FC moniker frustrates the heck out of me because I don't even have the mascot to use to keep from saying, for instance, Toronto FC 15,000 times.

Firebirds has grown on me since everybody else aside from the Braves is a bird, it represents the phoenix without the confusion of the city in Arizona, and it would allow for nice mascots and design stuff using fire and whatnot. Heck, maybe we can even take that Brimstone Cup away from the fools in Chicago and Dallas.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    It's a cultural thing...Euros have no issue because that started from the beginning. In the US there is 100 years of a specific way to name a professional sports team. It is all about the sporting culture in a particular country. One club that was unique but perfect at being creative while staying within the framework is Indy 11.

danielofthedale repped this.
  12. ATLNewsDog01

ATLNewsDog01 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Winder, GA
    Indy Eleven is creative? All the owners did is count the starters. Goofiest name this side of Wiz, especially for a state like Indiana with so much history in racing and basketball.

13. danielofthedale

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I think Indy 11 is named after the Indiana 11th Infantry Regiment that served in the Civil War.

14. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah but if we were to do anything at all to do with the Civil War we get labeled as bigots, racist, and hicks. Forget the fact 2 of my great great grandfathers died for a cause they believe in. Just because we lost the war doesn't mean our soldier's sacrifices were any less real.

I'm nit sure why I'm ranting about this other than we should drop any mention of the Civil War at all because most of America does not understand that while we don't agree with the reason they were fighting, we're still proud that they fought.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  15. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if that's true, we could expect a team name like Atlanta ______ SC for Soccer Club, which could be the new trend in Southern MLS expansion. We call it what it is!

Orlando City SC
    Inter Miami SC
    Atlanta ____ SC.

For my money, I'm going with official names like Atlanta Resurgens SC, Atlanta Legion SC or Atlas Atlanta SC (which would cover the whole Olympic topic without copyright problems and since Atlanta has the World Athletes Monument in Midtown).

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks really nice, but chiefs is probably a no go.

I'd like to see what you could do with these themes:

Atlanta Phoenix

Atlanta Legion

Atlanta Locomotive

Atlas Atlanta

Apollo Atlanta

Atlanta Crossroads

Atlanta Hearts

Atlanta Olympic

Atlanta Vanguard

Atlanta Empire

17. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    First design that came to mind/ was easiest to make. BTW where is the Vanguard coming from?

Here is Atlanta Vanguard SC

[​IMG]

18. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice

20. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Vanguard. Don't think it has anything to do with ATL but it sounds cool.

Isn't there a Drum Corps named Vanguard?

21. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    There is. Now we are just showing our nerd!

22. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    Now since we have colors!
    Atlanta Vanguard 2.0
    [​IMG]

23. ATLNewsDog01

ATLNewsDog01 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Winder, GA
    It was Americans fighting Americans involving one of the biggest stains on the country's history. We should honor those who fought, but I'm all for keeping it in museums and history books. I don't find the country's factions hating each other so much that we literally shot at each other being something I wan't to wear a badge about. I have relatives who fought at Gettysburg and probably elsewhere. It's just not something I would want to put front and center amongst all the things Atlanta or any other city has done.

sitruc and FC Zanarkand Abes! repped this.
  24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nothing exactly Atlanta specific... but it's what it represents. Basically states that we are a club on the cutting edge and at the forefront of the league.

There's nothing specific about United, but everyone wants to be United because of what it represents.... Therefore, I proposed Atlanta Vanguard and Atlanta Legion.

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the colors are picked out as red and gold and a name is already decided....

I'd bet the team name will be Atlanta Phoenix.

What I think the team should consider based on least amount of confusion and Atlanta specific, Atlanta Locomotive. If I could personally name the team, it would be Atlanta Legion. Again though, I bet if the color schemes are already decided and rumor has it that they already have a name then I bet it will be Atlanta Phoenix. I just can't see Blank going with Firebirds.