Subliminal Message About Atlanta MLS Team Name...?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by FC Zanarkand Abes!, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Resurgens

Resurgens Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Athens, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like Atlanta Locomotive FC, it's grown on me and with the launch of Terminus Legion it just drives the history and symbolism of the name to a stronger place in my mind.

Eleven Bravo and danielofthedale repped this.
  2. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need something that'll tie in with the Wing Tip seating sections in the open end of the stadium. Which come to think of it i'm sure that's where the supporters section will be.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Buffers?

Frankly, sir, we don't give those around here.

Prior to this I was under the impression the IOC maintained the rights, but this page implies the USOC maintains that within the US. (Granted, politically they're likely little more than puppets of the IOC, but I digress)

The curiosity is that the USOC may be powered to permit usage of the term where acceptable. So perhaps there's a chance they look more favorably on a sporting franchise intended to honor the spirit of the games within a city that hosted the fabled events as opposed to simply a pop band of young adult misfits! It's not hard to see how the Olympic name could be beneficial to the actual games and IOC themselves, serving as a positive reminder of the '96 games and the spirit of sporting competition.

And if Blank had to bribe the use of the name out of the IOC, well then, what more fitting tribute to the modern games than that!

ATLfirefan repped this.
  4. japeto

japeto New Member

Atlanta Brave Birds

Atlantic United

5. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    LOL. Yeah i also wonder how Olympiakos got away with it. The IOC needs to put pressure on the Greek football federation to have Olympiakos change their name.

FC Zanarkand Abes! repped this.
  6. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    Olympic has been done...If something like that was going to used I would want Centennial instead of Olympic, especially since the Atlanta Olympics were the Centennial Olympics

7. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Phoenix has to be the Firebirds....

8. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Speaking as an outsider, I feel like "Resurgens Atlanta" with no "FC" or "SC" is an AMAZING name. By using the Latin spelling, you avoid the "WNBA"-ness, but get a cool "surge" nickname. And you abbreviate it "RA" which is badass.

9. ATLNewsDog01

ATLNewsDog01 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Winder, GA
    Sorry, but if we're going Latin, we're going ablative plural. Resurgentibus.

10. a4anthony

a4anthony Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Greer
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta Metro
    Atlanta Astros
    Atlanta United
    Atletic club of Atlanta
    Atlanta FC
    Atlanta Red Stars
    Atlanta Traffic
    Atlanta Shooting Stars

11. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tricky because the Greeks invented the Olympics ;)

12. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its gonna be Tecumseh FC.

14. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA

He also said he told his 12 yr son when he asked, they will be called the Max Maulers! Blank has a few kids that play for Concord and are looking to play in college. If he is not doing it right I can imagine they will let him know.

15. ben9

ben9 Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well, since this whole thing has picked up pace, I have really come around on Terminus FC. Historically relevant, not confusing like "Phoenix", sounds ominous, ties into the location of the stadium and isn't an obvious aping of European team names.

16. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Looks like Max Maulers is the name. Not what I would have gone with, but it's not my team. I kid. I wonder if his kids are on BS?

17. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    That name would be branding suicide. It's great for a supporters group, horrible as your primary brand. Only other team to omit the city in their brand, Chivas USA.

18. Alabama Soccer

May 28, 2008
    Montgomery, AL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    International Atlanta anyone? I know I know too European. It is true though.

19. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That brand is a failure not because of the omission of LA... There are many teams around the world who are not branded for a city and they work just fine. The problem with CUSA is they are branded with the crest of ANOTHER city and were just a farm club for the MX side.

krusso repped this.
  20. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    It played a large part with the casual fan. A US team must have their city in the brand. Terminus FC would be awesome for a small group of hardcores, but would disappear to the casuals. If you have to explain your brand, you failed in creating one. Step one in branding and Atlanta team is making it Atlanta's team...That means grabbing casuals to fill the palace they will play in, and make no mistake they will have the nicest facility in MLS.

2017 The year SEC speed comes to MLS

panicfc and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  21. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Atlanta SEC, south east club. Everyone would lose it.

sawillis repped this.
  22. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Would be the greatest troll on the rest of the country ever. I am rooting for this now.

ATLNewsDog01 repped this.
  23. jmadiso1

jmadiso1 Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, Atlanta used to be names Terminus....sooooo. It actually is pretty awesome especially considering it is something that not everyone out of the south would know.

24. jmadiso1

jmadiso1 Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The greatest idea I wished I had!!!!!!

sawillis repped this.
  25. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    I know that, but having to explain a brand is a bad thing. Terminus is brilliant for a supporters group, but doesn't work for the name IMO.