News: Student/teacher relationships: learning curves

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by THOMA GOL, Jan 14, 2013.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    things that took place in the school never went into public view back then...my Mom went straight to the school administration but they swept it all under the rug. Listen I wasn't any angel, I was smacked more than once over the course of my school years but today somebody would be doing some serious jail time. And I'll repeat that discipline through violence just isn't worth it.

luftmensch and fatbastard repped this.
  2. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Those were the good old days. Actually it's pretty clear that you've never been through boot or any other specialized unit training...at least not in the past 30 years. Really about the only time fear came into play in the military was when discussing potential shitty outcomes in real world ops. Fear is actually a tremendous motivator and shouldn't be seen as a negative as it at some point ends up keeping people alive. Being intimidated is also a choice unless they simply lack spine.

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks Moishe, but no I'm not a military guy...but I just finished this book:

http://www.ericgreitens.com/books/the-heart-and-the-fist/

4. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've not read the book but I am more than familiar with Mr. Greitens and the work he has done. Having not read the book does he actually state in his book that the military or Navy in this case leads and trains it's fighting men under the type of fear/intimidation that you asserted in the post I quoted?

I have read books by and about David Stirling, Dick Couch, Eric Haney, Larry Vickers and several others. Met a couple of them even but one commonality amongst the US service members was the agreement that the training was intense and in your face but the whole fear piece was centered around real world scenarios we could find ourselves in. I suppose you could call it fear and intimidation but I wouldn't. That degree of intensity in training has kept more men alive than it has killed.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corporal punishment has no business in schools. Often times, schools are a respite from the corporal punishment done at home (sometimes not willingly). Bring that into school and it is risking the loss of those students.

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he described basic training...so more or less it's my interpretation of his writing...an excellent book.

Moishe repped this.
  7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll definitely check the book out. It does seem odd though that someone that graduated BUDs would describe basic/boot camp in such a manner.

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #883 JBigjake, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    My guess is with little effort this thread could last a long time.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That allegation is different, as the boy did not consent. If that account is true, that is one strange, obsessed and seemingly dangerous woman.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know whether only female teachers are busted these days or those are the only accounts being posted, but women are on quite a roll here.

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Females make better headlines and probably more link hits.

msilverstein47, luftmensch and THOMA GOL repped this.
  13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Without wishing to get too detailed, how would she 'force' him to have oral sex? I mean, wouldn't it be too.... well.... 'floppy' to put it crudely?

Yeah, there isn't really a non-crude way to put that, is there :D

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was not aware that minors could "consent" to sex with adults.

15. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    He's probably just saying this now because he is afraid her husband is going to kill him.

BTW - what you can't see in this photo, is that she is reaching back and giving the statue a hand-job at the time.

[​IMG]

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    #892 JohnR, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Actually, 17 year olds can legally consent to sex with adults almost everywhere in the developed world, including Texas*, if Texas is considered part of the developed world. So yes, 17 year olds can have consensual sex in 90%+ of the developed world, and so yes there is a legal difference in that 90%+ between forcing a 17 year old and not forcing a 17 year old.

* In Texas, 17 year olds can have sex with adults unless that adult is a teacher, so this case would fall outside of the general provision.

Which makes sense to me. I remember when I was 17, and I was quite capable of distinguishing between what I wanted to do and what I wished to avoid.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said "that allegation is different." Than what? Not every case discussed in this thread involves a 17 year old student.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By "consent", I think he's talking about sex between a female teacher and a male student who is good to go but simply not old enough to legally consent. This particular situation involves a male who, for whatever reason, did not want to have sex with the female teacher.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Than the other cases where the students were not forced. That is a clear difference. Apparently not a meaningful one to you, which is fine, we can disagree, but it certainly is a factual difference.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I should not have used the word consent because it has legal implications, and I did not intend a legal argument.
    Forced vs. not forced was the point.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that part was clear. My point was that in many of the cases we've discussed in this thread the students were under the age of 17. I thought it was clear that's what I meant, given that I typed exactly that.

There are many cases where the student was not "forced" in the sense of being physically harassed or intimidated, but was also below the age of consent.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    http://www.khou.com/news/local/Aldi...oper-relationship-with-student-256678251.html

:cautious:

THOMA GOL repped this.
  23. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    russ repped this.
  24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, you know, she's not expected to teach him to think these days, just to pass the test...:cool:

luftmensch and fatbastard repped this.