News: Student/teacher relationships: learning curves

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by THOMA GOL, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Apparently, my sloppy clothes, inability to catch social cues, and rotten haircut eliminate me instantly from gaydar. Oh, and my allergy to Liza Minelli (shudder).

2. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a state's desperation for teachers is a separate subject. I don't think we should rely on that to compensate a person for ruining her life over a victimless (if it turns out to be so) sexual affair. there ought to be prosecutorial discretion as to whether such crimes need to be prosecuted (it is a rather costly affair after all).

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but those Cher and Madonna autographs make it confusing...

4. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I am not very sympathetic tot he pervs in this case. We really need to move past this poor little person was so overwhelmed with passion they could not help themselves mentality. How about not screwing minors. Just a thought, sex with a child is never victimless.

soccernutter repped this.
  5. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you think a 17 year old is a child?? technically a minor, but that's just a distinction of the law, not nature. I was being sarcastic about the teacher being a poor, lonely vulnerable woman.

6. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hmm do they pay rent or buy groceries? Get emancipated,

I get your point min really, part of my position is because I am going to be a teacher. I think teachers are professionals who are trusted with an important responsibility. I am willing to abide being held to a high standard to be thought of as a professional as opposed to a "sorry public union waste of resources ruining the children" meme we hear so often.

If part of the price of being thought of as a professional is waiting til a student graduates and is over 18 to have sex, then it really isn't that high a price. If breaking that rule is defined as unlawful carnal knowledge and results in a ruined life, I can live with that too.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Wow - you have some really disciplined hormones, dude.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    In our final two years of HS, it was the custom to go out for drinks after the final lesson on Friday.
    Often times we were joined by a young teacher who was just out of university herself (around 22 years old). Even though there were no strict rules about interactions with students outside of class, her behavior was still frowned upon by a good chunk of her colleagues.
    As far as I know, nothing untoward ever happened, but I do believe that teachers should avoid situations that make it more likely for them to cross a line in their interaction with their pupils.

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What's 18 then?

Either the teachers in South Carolina are especially horny or the authorities in SC are vigilant. I'm guessing the latter. I'm guessing that nationwide, there's a whole lot of teacher/student action going on.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Let's just say that traditionally the sexual taboos down south aren't as strict as in other places

THOMA GOL repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I knew about cousins, not about the rest. I'd whine about missing out on all this, but my Mom signed me up for Unitarian youth groups, in California no less. My first girlfriend was doing threeways by age 14, not with me of course, she had left behind her junior high school kissing friend for older guys who could deliver.

Does that make her an abuse victim too? Actually, I don't mean that as a smart-ass comment, I would certainly say No but I understand there are opposing views by reasonable people.

13. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not that I am considered reasonable :))) but it would depend on the age of the guys. The consent statutes in many states are bracketed. The idea being that a 17 year old cant have sex with a ten year old, but sex with a fifteen year old might be legal consent. I think then it goes to something like one over 18 must be over 16 and over 21 must be over 18. There are some marital exceptions I think as well, although there are limits on that in the US that prevents prepubescents from marrying old pervs. I do not know if religious exceptions are granted for Sharia practitioners in the US or not.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They weren't teachers, they were high school kids. But she was only in junior high. She moved onto adult guys a couple of years later.

15. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If she is less than fourteen and they are over sixteen I think in this state that is illegal.

16. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Blowout Comb x 4 +2

On that the related comment about the South, and not just the south/Bible belt, but more rural areas of states, it is a bit ironic considering those 24 hour adult book stores located out there. The one in Jelico, TN right across from that huge Christian cross by the highway is one I always remember.

Crimen y Castigo and Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not trying to be a smartass,either- but a 14 year old doing threeways can't be considered as having an emotionally healthy sex life IMO.

Tags such as "abuse victim" or "willing participant due to no understanding of boundaries whatsoever" or "the seniors and college kids do this so i wanna too" only matter to determine etiology.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Divorced parents, sensitive girl. She went the rebel route and looked for attention by being bad. I tend to think somebody who graduates high school, doesn't commit major crimes or attempt suicide, doesn't get pregnant, and doesn't completely alienate her parents passes the teenage emotional-health test. But again, that's just one view on the matter.

chad and fatbastard repped this.
  19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh,it's a test.I guess I'd call that a D,then.:cool:

I really hope for a little more than that for my daughter- for her sake,not mine.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Teenage girls, a tricky thing. Don't have one myself but I've learned from my friends' kids. So many have body image problems and self-destructive tendencies.

Which -- to bring us back to subject -- might argue for for a gender-based approach to teacher/student relationships. No question that female students are more prone to feeling bad about themselves and thus more open to sexual advances that boost their self-esteem. That was the case with my college girlfriend whom I mentioned before, she felt unattractive until her English teacher hit on her. Now, from what I could see, my girlfriend was done a world a good by that relationship, that it was a positive thing for her development. Which is a complicating issue for the story of predator and prey that I just spun.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree that a high school guy with a female teacher is no big deal since he is "almost" an adult.

I know a guy who has had a lifetime of struggles in a number of areas, and a large part of that started when he was 15 and had an ongoing relationship with a high school teacher. Yeah, guys usually tend to be willing, but it messed him up so many ways it isn't even funny.

I think of the years between 14-18, where over time, I evolved from an immature young knucklehead to a guy who a few girls actually wanted to go out with! Gradually kids that age learn the complexities of relationships with the opposite sex and deal with all the emotional things associated with it. It doesn't happen all at once, but over time and through experiences. My friend never had the chance to learn all that, and because of that, had a disfunctional marriage and subsequent divorce. He's in his 60s now, and this thing has haunted him his whole life.

Neuwerld and Boloni86 repped this.
  22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John, google Nick Wooster, go shopping, and your world will be rather different.

taosjohn repped this.
  23. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody's perfect.

[​IMG]

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm always amused driving 95 in North and South Carolina; the strip clubs that say "bottemless; truck parking." Cracks me up.

THOMA GOL repped this.