Stuart Holden - back by end of January

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Dec 29, 2012.

1. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    There's no need for arbitrary 6 month time frames and speculation about players who've never shown what he has. Klinsmann will watch him continuously from now...He's probably already talking to him on the phone.

If he never gets back, he never gets back.

2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes there is. Holden has been out of the game for 16 months. He had a very bad injury. He probably won't play his first full game to around the the end of the championship season. There is no need to rush him back to the USMNT. Let him focus on his career.

You guys have yet to consider that his club that has stuck with him through this will definitely want him to stay away the the national team for a while.

Be more realistic.

3. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Would be kind of a slap in the face for bolton if he is called up and ends his career 5 minutes into the game due to a foul by some clumsy Belize or Martinique defender.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Holden has a lot to prove before we consider him for the Gold Cup.

If he isn't a player that we feel confident can actually play 90 minutes..............then I'd rather take a look at players like Diskerud, Bedoya, and company this summer.

If he proves that he can be a 90 minute player at a good level, then by all means bring him in.

5. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "No need to rush him" is nowhere even on the same planet as "you guys so overrate Holden."

But nice to see that when forced to explain yourself you are far more reasonable.

(Although I enjoy the chorus of people looking to be out in front of Holden failing. Disappointing.)

6. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    You can't be more realistic than saying base his call-up on his observed progress and how he feels. That's what is going to happen. Everything else is irrelevant. Especially Mix and Corona.

7. quinn

quinn Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    You know, I think that these statements are related, although to be sure the latter is (probably) designed to be inflammatory. It is certainly possible, indeed likely, that people want to rush him back because they think that Holden would drastically improve our midfield (i.e. overrating him).

If, however, you view him, at his best, at being roughly the level of MB and JJ, both of whom are capable of going 90 min every day, no need to call him in the minute he starts playing again. Based on this logic, only need to rush him back is if you overrate him.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug.

There were people on these boards calling for the return of Charlie Davies when he started training again.

But that's not the way the world works. You have to prove you're USMNT-ready before you can be called up. Coaches don't call players up because they were really good in 2010. Gotta prove it right now in 2013.

9. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Davies being a poor example imho but you're right. We should be happy enough that he is back with Bolton and I am. NT talk already is kind of silly, for me...

10. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    One thing I think you have to consider with Holden is that his game wasn't founded as much upon physical traits, but more so nice technique and a high mental capacity for the game. Reading the game is something that never truly goes away, and I'm in no way saying that physical tools weren't a huge part of Holden's game, because they were, but they weren't a foundation to his game, unlike charlie davies. Even if he only returns to 90% physically, I honestly don't see that being a huge detriment to his game.

11. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    I understand what you're saying, and there is a point to be made: once CD didn't have explosive speed, he didn't have nearly enough else to compensate, and Holden is a more complete player. But, compare, say, with someone like Donovan, who was blessed with good physical gifts, good ball skills and a good soccer brain. If Donovan's speed/quickness/agility decreases by (picks random figure) 15%, that still leaves him 'average' in those areas, and a +brain and + technical ability. But it's harder to compete at an elite level with below average speed/quickness/explosiveness. Holden has less room for his physical ability to diminish (than some other guys) before he's no longer an A-1 player.

12. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a big, big fan of Holden. I thought at his peak he had the potential to be the most game-changing player in the US pool. By that I mean, I thought his presence could most influence how the US plays.

Part of that was his excellent technique and ability to anticipate and make plays. But a big part of that was also his quickness. I have said this before, but Holden has the quickest feet of any US midfielder. He was also a high energy player who could force opponents into mistakes. Bradley, Jones, Williams, Kljestan, etc all bring other qualities. None of them can match Holden for quickness.

So the one thing I am watching more than any other in his recovery is whether that quickness returns. I hope so.

dwsmith1972, Craig P, Mr Martin and 3 others repped this.
  13. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does getting sub minutes for 1 game in the WC really make you a WC veteran? Also he did not play as a true #10. I hope he comes back as the player he used to be, I would like to see him play in the Gold Cup.

14. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    the more minutes holden gets in 2013, the better his chance for a 2014 sub role

he's not a bad last man on the squad option

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Personally, I think if he's back to 2010-2011 form..........then he's more than a sub.

He probably eats of lot of the minutes Graham Zusi has been getting.

So we'll see..........................

16. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    i was thinking worse case scenario, aslo the nature of other players out there changes responsibilities

no landon means a big shift in the nature of the future usa team

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    uh not really it has been no landon for a while. Anybody that was planning on him being a big part of this cycle clearly has not been paying attention.

18. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    (Cross posting from the "Rational Expectations" Thread to move the conversation where it belongs):

Last game of the Championship season is May 4, with 16 games remaining between now and then. So far, Holden has appeared in the following:

January 15- 26 minutes in FA Cup match vs. Sunderland
    January 26- 9 minutes in FA Cup match vs. Everton
    Febuary 1- Starts reserve match and comes off with slight knock (not sure when)
    February 5- 90 minutes in closed-door scrimmage
    February 11- 90 minutes in closed-door scrimmage

(According to interviews I have read, Holden has been held out of regular games and is playing in scrimmages due to them not wanting him to play in bad weather.)

Seems reasonable to me to assume he'll be back full-time by March 1 and available for the last 12 games of the Championship. Assuming that's true and he gets back in reasonable form over that 12 game stretch, why on Earth would he not be called up for Match Day 4 on June 7? I don't see why Bolton would even care at that point, their season having been over for more than a month and their preseason still on the horizon.

All signs point to Holden's return for Match Day 4!

soccersubjectively repped this.
  19. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I am with you, my man, but I will point out there is an important difference between a camp callup "return" and making the gameday bench "return." JK will want to make up his own mind in camp once he fitness tests him and sees his play with the squad in practice. When he makes the bench for the US is when I will personally mark his return to the team.

Can't come soon enough.

dcole repped this.
  20. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Lots of cautious optimism going on. I'm not generally an optimist, but I really think Holden is close. Bolton is being extremely careful with him, but even they were willing to play him 90 minutes in two games separated by only 6 days. And he's already marked his return to the first team in two FA Cup matches. The kid is back and just needs match fitness, which he will have bags of in advance of June 7. As you say, can't come soon enough!

21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has JK ever commented on him?

I think everyone is glossing over a 16 month lay-off. Mentally he has lost all the timing of what passes will get through and which should not be taken, same with tackles, etc.

I am glab he has gotten back to this point but don't expect even a call up until Gold Cup, unless we are really dropping out of qualifying or injury.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's commented on him............but basically to say that he wants him, but won't push his return.

Any discussion of Gold Cup, WCQers, etc. is extremely premature.

Stuart's gonna have to show he's healthy and match-fit to get called in. (we all hope this is the case)

If the choice comes down to a healthy/match fit Corona or Diskerud........or a questionable Holden.............then we'll probably go Corona, Diskerud, or that type of player.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    For the sake of argument, assume Holden returns to Bolton's first team on March 1, plays in all of their last 12 Championship games, starting, say, the last 10, and shows well (which happens to be exactly what I expect to happen). Championship season ends May 4. Asuming all that to be the case, do you think he should/will be called in for Match Day 4 on June 7?

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For a World Cup Qualifer? No.

I think the earliest we'll see him is the Gold Cup.

25. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    That seems kind of arbitrary and capricious, but OK.