Stuart Holden - back by end of January

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once his knee shows it is holding up, I would not be surprised if Holden is invited to camp prior to a recovery in form. My guess is Klinsmann will want to acclimate Stuart to the team and how things are run early, anticipating Stuart will be ready down the line.

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    If he continues to play for Bolton, I expect him back sooner rather than later as well. Maybe February 6th, or maybe the March matches.

3. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feb 6 is way too soon IMO.

4. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    ^^^
    Indeed too early. If he were a center back, perhaps, but he's playing at a position that's not a real US need right now so Klinsmann'll let him work back into shape.

5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    It's nice that he plays in a spot where we already have some options that can get the job done. We don't have to rush him back if he's still easing into things.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feb?

No way.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Still hoping he comes back for the National Team in the Fall. Hate seeing guys--Beez, Gooch, Gibbs, Bobby Wood, or even Donovan come to mind--pushing too hard, too soon to play international ball. Kyle Martino had a nice article about this and in particular how constantly coming back too soon ruined his career.

Minutes for Bolton this season. If he needs to showcase himself for a move then a couple of International games would make sense.

8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May be Gold Cup this summer. No qualifications. Evaluate in the fall...

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  9. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to rush. If he comes back and picks up where he was when he left off he'll be number 2 in the central midfield whenever he comes back. Give him all year and let him get matches in the run up to the World Cup.

10. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16 months is a long long time off due to injuries, no matter what age, what level.
    Kudos to Stu and the physios at Bolton for bringing him back slowly & steadily. His greatly positive attitude is one key to him being where he is today. Patience from Bolton management is another. The USMNT ought to show a similar patience. A healthy, fit and properly tested Holden is a major addition to look forward to having in CM. let him play week to week for a spell before even thinking about bringing him in for the Nats.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let it be known throughout the land......that Stuart Holden is back

12. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    gold cup is safe, how do we know the top level for stu now, id rather have hm available the end of the hex

i'd not like we dot have options

stud for brasil is what i care more about

13. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gold Cup at the earliest, and that's a good tourney to get him in since it's meaningless. If he performs well and doesn't have any issues then I would say give him a call for the next set of qualifiers after the GC.

14. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?

15. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Behind who? Donovan may not be coming back at all, and is better playing wide or as a forward. Deuce is a forward. If Stu comes back "and picks up where he left off", who on God's earth would be relegating him to #2 in central midfield?

16. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Michael Bradley?

DiscoWarrior11 repped this.
  17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, you guys are overrating Holden.

18. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overraters gonna overrate.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to see Stuie back!

He was an. EPL starter, World Cup veteran and true #10 under Bradley's era. If he just returns as Championship starter, Qualifying veteran and once again our best #10 there is no over rating that quality.

20. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    ??? I guess it depends what you mean.

I would concede that a lot of people are probably overrating the possibility that the player of 2010-11 returns.** But *if* that player does, I can't see how he's not a peer of Bradley and Jones, a notch above guys like Williams or Edu. That player was one of the better midfielders in a top league. The US doesn't have endless guys of that description.

**As has been noted, he has all the qualities to be a fan favorite: a good, team-oriented player who played in MLS, is extremely likable, and has had terrible luck. So I think there are rose-colored glasses, but in terms of optimism about a full recovery. If the Stu Holden of February 2011 were to magically appear, that's a starting-quality US Nat.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  21. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was an EPL starter over a year ago, World Cup substitute, and a winger or #8 under Bradley's era. If he just returns as Championship starter, Qualifying veteran and once again a very good #8 there is no over rating that quality.

:D

And those corrections should not be seen as hating on Holden. I rate him very highly and if he returns to his top form he will become a starter for the USA.

Knock on wood.

22. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    After his Premier League play in 2010-2011, Bradley and Klinsmann were among his overraters. Bradley said, "he's a player we see as being an important part of the team." Klinsmann was personally at the reserve team game when he got back from injury for about a second. He called Holden a "fantastic player," and, "exactly the type of player the national team wants."

Remember these? "Overrating" Holden was epidemic:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...g-broken-his-leg-last-year-article601619.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/dec/21/readers-premier-league-team-season-so-far

chad and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  23. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    he;s quality depth in worse case scenario..

if he shows he's healthy, we should be able to count on him

24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a very convincing argument. Thank you.

25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying Holden is nowhere the player he was before he got injured and it remains to be seen if he's gotten back to that level. I would wait until he plays about 6 months before you even think abut evaluating him for the national team.

We also have guys like Mix and Corona who are already in the team. Not to mention JJ and MB90.

There is no emergency, we don't need to get him in the team as soon as possible. By the time he returns to form (if ever) Guys like Mix and Corona might have surpassed him.

Editor In Chimp repped this.