Stuart Holden - back by end of January

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Had little hope for OBrien or Gibbs ever returning to form. Never even considered it for Davies.

For some reason I think this guy can do it.

Don't know why...just do.

The guy just makes u believe.

CeltTexan, sXeWesley, La Diva and 3 others repped this.
  2. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Fingers crossed. One step at a time and we'll see what kind of form he can recover.

3. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the interviews he's given, Holden seems to be unflappable in his resolve to return to past form. He definitely has the patience of a saint or possibly Buddha.

4. jhw1

jhw1 Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Gibbs and especially O'Brien were naturally injury-prone; you kind of knew they were going to get reinjured. Holden is actually quite sturdy, which would seem to bode well. But it's all a question of how much mobility/speed/quickness the injury cost him, and at the moment we just don't know.

5. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Here's hoping the old adage about non-contact injuries being more serious in the long term holds true. Tough way to prove it though....

Marko72 repped this.
  6. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    It took Jones 3 years to return to as close as possible to the dominating form he had in (2008/2009), which he is somewhat showing right now in the (2012/2013 season) with the assists and goals he is now getting.

HartwickFan and Marko72 repped this.
  7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it will take Stu time, if it ever happens. Fingers crossed.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. kickingdead

kickingdead Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden is a seemingly nice and likeable guy which makes most root for his return. Also, he is a positive and determined guy which makes people feel the same way about his return. I hope he can return.

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Stu would definitely be in the running for "most likeable" major American player since 1994 and the age of MLS. In fact, off the top of my head, he'd probably get my vote. (Edit: Or at least give Frankie Hejduk a damn good run for his money.)

And after his playing days are over (and I hope that's not for a number of years yet), his personality is going to be an asset to him if he chooses to stay in soccer, whether as a manager, a pundit, an administrator, whatever. He has a definite talent for attracting fans and getting people on his side, and that's an excellent talent to have. (In fact, come to think of it, it's a talent not unlike that of our current USMNT manager...)

sXeWesley and NatsTeamFan repped this.
  10. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, really?

11. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

I don't disagree but the mayor of Hanover deserves honorable mention for the great love they have for him.

Scotty repped this.
  12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are after all talking about a Scot Texan! Stuie will return to EPL starter. He doesn't know how to be any other way.

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  13. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As does Brian McBride.

14. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Best of luck to Stu. Hope he gets well and can have a nice career. Asking any more is not impossible, but may be wishful thinking. Holden's attitude and desire are top class, but I doubt O'Brien's (or Gibbs's) attitude or desire is what held them back. At some point, the body is just a little different after a long term injury, and that small margin can be critical to professional athletes. So I am hoping for, but not expecting, a major contribution to the Nats from Stu.

15. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. QuakePride18

QuakePride18 Member

Nov 27, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden played for 60 minutes today! Hopefully all is well and he is on the way back. Poor Bolton has had so many injured players from last year and into this season.

Marko72 and HartwickFan repped this.
  17. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    God they lost Wheater, Stu, and Davies? No wonder they aren't doing well. Wasn't Lee Chung-Yong out for an extended period as well?

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell yea that's good news hopefully he can stay healthy

19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Stuart's YA thread:

Winoman and SamsArmySam repped this.
  20. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    wow...unbelievable...something idk what it is, tells me we're going to see Holden in a USMNT jersey in the Gold Cup...even if he's just 75% of what he was before (who knows if he recovered properly he could be 95%) he still gets a spot come Rio

bornsteinforlife repped this.
  21. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Holden has a solid chance at returning because his skills weren't based around his athleticism. I think everyone (himself, trainers, doctors, manager) are in no rush to get him on the field. This seems to be a story of everyone taking their time to make sure it's right. Shanahan should've approached the RGIII situation in the same way.

I think if Holden is showing the same form, or that he is progressing toward his old form, that he'll get a call up for GC.

bornsteinforlife repped this.
  22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

23. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh look, someone has grouped apples and oranges together so that we can more easily compare them...

;)

24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say, seeing them side-by-side, they're a lot more similar than people would have you think...

25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolton was relegated in 2012 and currently in 16th place, really no chance to get to EPL before WC.