Stuart Holden - back by end of January

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Absolutely. I think the Gold Cup is the perfect opportunity to see where he's at right now. Between the different defensive options, guys like Holden and some of the younger players in MLS playing well so far, the off-year Gold Cup is turning into a real blessing this cycle.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why JK wants to see Holden at the next friendlies when the Gold Cup is coming up. Maybe he wants to rate him side by side with the first team players.

3. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Klinsmann wants him training so he'll be in form for the Gold Cup:

If Klinsmann were to leave Holden behind, he wouldn't be in rhythm for the Gold Cup. Now most players Klinsmann assumes will want a summer rest, but because Holden doesn't, calling him up for May-June will allow him to be ready for the Gold Cup in July. Makes sense to me.

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden actually said something to the same tune.

5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope he's at least close to the same player. Pre-injury he was an excellent passer. During the 2009 Gold Cup he was the best player on the field for the USMNT.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that USA team was our B team and got killed 5-0 in the finals. He has shown to be the real deal at club level, not sure how he would perform with the national team since he never was part of the usual rotation, I'm curious to see where he is at.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Stuart Holden@stuholden 16 May
    Seriously excited for the start of @ussoccer camp Tuesday! Can't wait to put on the red, white and blue again! #usmnt

Since there are 2-3 extra field players, Holden still seems like a favorite to get dropped for the qualifiers; but I expect him at least to play in one of the friendlies, especially the Belgium match with so many missing players.

Who knows - with Williams out, Bradley possibly out, Kljestan not viewed as a CM and Edu plagued by injuries that have caused him to play only 2 times (both in April) since the Mexico match, maybe Holden jumps right into the first XI against Belgium?

8. Markov41

Markov41 Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stu's preparing for USMNT camp with the Dynamo
    [​IMG]

9. NOLA

NOLA Member

Jan 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How awesome would it be to see him on the field in a Nats jersey again? I hope he gets back to form for next season and has a good run helping Bolton get back into the PL.

Tom Collingsworth and Foolishness repped this.
  10. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Stuart Holden Returns to the Men's National Team

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a BAMF. Well-spoken too. I'm certainly going to be pulling for him to do well!

soccersubjectively repped this.