Strikers: Miami MLS thread

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by brentgoulet, May 29, 2013.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm just making the comparison of a larger, more well known market(like New England run by an NFL owner) that has struggled to a smaller(in fact the smallest) market that has been successful. You even have a team like Red Bull, in the largest market, who's ownership has done everything possible to help the team be successful - building a palace for the game, signing so-called star MLS players, etc. etc.) but still has trouble filling even the lower bowl of their stadium.

Quote me on this and come back if/when MLS puts a team in Miami. It will be closer to the Revs performance in local relevance and fan support than the Salt Lakes, Portlands, Montréals etc. out there.

Miami is the New York/LA/Chicago/Dallas choice for a South Florida team. Fort Lauderdale is closer to the Salt Lake/Portland/Montréal/KC end of the spectrum.

The best advertisements for MLS and it's product are not in it's bigger markets. Sponsors & TV execs are looking at the wrong things if Henry and most of the Red Bull logo being visible in the stands is what's selling them.

2. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think the info in this piece dates back to July. I think what he said was there has been no change in the stadium situation for a possible Miami team since July. That makes sense, because if the league says FIU and Sun Life are not acceptable, then they have a big problem...

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T
    that's assuming FIU and Sun Life were on the table in July...

5. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's too bad for the Srikers. A mis-step like that woulda helped them some I think. Though I still think they'll survive.

8. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be a hint as to what the name might be....:cool:

I also think the Strikers will survive. Especially if the Schlitterbahn water park & Lockhart Stadium upgrade/rebuild is OK'd by the FAA.

brentgoulet and Smoke & Mirrors repped this.
  9. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like that whole area will be revitalized. Should be pretty cool for Strikers fans.

Smoke & Mirrors and Antique repped this.
  10. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good for all of Broward and South Florida, IMO. We don't have a water park here. This is something that could be of value for all of us if we care to take advantage of it. It certainly falls into the general plan that the City of Ft Lauderdale has for the area. Here' hoping the FAA does the right thing.

Of course, it could help Strikers attendance, too, but that's only a side issue....:rolleyes:

Smoke & Mirrors and TerminusFooty repped this.
  11. LosYunai

LosYunai Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Miami/Cartagena
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    if for some reason the ft lauderdale strikers would go into the mls i would be super happy, id drive to up to ft lauderdale every game (ive only done it a couple of times) and it would def be "my team." in fact right now it is my team, but i would much rather have a team closer to my "part of the city", and yes ''part of the city" because c'mon i dont even know if im in miami or ft lauderdale sometimes. and i hope you all feel this way, i know you prob dont, but its really important to get behind a south florida team weather its the strikers or the miami whatever.
    and i think fans could help a bit more specially in the miami side when and if the team does come along, we could really try to make people from ft lauderdale feel like its their club just as much as it would be ours.

Antique repped this.
  12. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the vote of confidence in the Strikers & Ft Lauderdale making it in MLS. I agree. It would work, but, MLS wants a team in downtown Miami. They want the glitter and glamor of South Beach. Ft Lauderdale simply does not measure up to their standards.

Add to that the simple fact that the Strikers ownership does not want MLS. They dislike the single entity approach that MLS is using & has made it the longest lasting upper division in out history. They feel that a different model based on individual ownership with no salary cap & each team flying solo is better. This, of course, is the same model that has failed for over a century & led the NASL to bankruptcy in it's original try.

Be that as it may, we have our team. Our only hope to survive the arrival of MLS in the next few years is to make the Strikers an MLS powerhouse. We will see if the ownership & FO respond to the challenge or try to continue on as the youngest, most inexperienced and lowest paid team in D-2. They only have 2 or 3 years to make up their minds. I hope they make the right decision.

13. LosYunai

LosYunai Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Miami/Cartagena
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    but i think nasal has its own beauty, it fells less corporate, more grassroots and you know with tampa, the cosmos and now jacksonville it sounds exiting, but i fear that an mls team in miami might kill the strikers, whatever happens i hope not, for what its woth it think the strikers are a great brand.
    but ive been waiting forever for mls to come back in miami and the right way, with a great stadium, and the team targeted at the right audience.

14. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seeing as an announcement seems imminent on MLS Miami, I wanted some info from Strikers fans on which of the following rumoured sites would be best for a Miami MLS stadium from the point of view of the Strikers organization's long term survival :

Watson Island (Port of Miami),
    Downtown Miami,
    Midtown Miami,
    Miami Beach and
    possibly a location further west.

Not sure which would be the farthest from Fort Lauderdale, maybe someone can clue me in on it.

15. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    You know, this is an honest and good question. But the truth is there is a misconception that the new MLS team in Miami, if granted, automatically spells trouble for the Strikers who are in a different league and city, have a different fan base, are miles away, and have 40 years of history in the sport of soccer. I think if the Strikers have survived this long it's because they aren't going anywhere. They just keep on going for the fans. And hopefully with a new stadium of their own they will be just fine.

Antique repped this.
  16. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Honestly, it's tough to gauge specifics when all but one of those is just mentioning a general area. The first four would all be perfectly fine in the eyes of most Strikers fans I think. Far enough away, and frustrating enough to get to that most in Broward, and probably just about all in Palm Beach wouldn't make the trip more than maybe once. There isn't going to be any super star players on Becks FC anymore than there are on any other MLS team. It's going to be a tough go for them after the first game or two.

Not sure where you're from, but it seems you're definitely not a local Strikers fan. Yes your sentiments about the history of the Strikers is meaningful for some fans like myself, but the reality is that Traffic needs to be doing much more if they want this team to survive. Having Becks FC in the heart of Miami mitigates the impact on the Strikers. But if Traffic doesn't step up its game now, eventually some north of the 305 might get more and more curious about what's down south.

17. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    I can only say that during 2014, there will be some good things for the Strikers. So it tight. :thumbsup:

Antique repped this.
  18. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You can say this because...? You work for the team?

19. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been hearing about the possibility of some good stuff, over and above the water park/stadium, happening, too. I've heard from at least 2 people that could be privy to good info that Gunter will be back and that there still be a few more signings of desired "old" players. Evidently new signings will take place next year, but I've not heard when that would start or who the team would want to acquire. There are rumblings of a possible "monster" deal coming in early 2014, but I can't get anyone to even give me a hint on it. Also, Atlanta is all but gone from Traffic. I do not know when this will be announced, but it is supposed to be a done deal. I guess that Carolina will go in time. No word on that at all. The thought that Traffic wants to get out of team ownership completely has also been mentioned. Nothing is available that verifies that, either.

The bad news seems to be that, despite cutting Atlanta loose, the rumor of a budget cut could be true. No one says that this is an absolute. No one says it isn't. Some give a sick smile and shrug and turn away. I hope it isn't true. We could use some extra $$$ for new players, some marketing & getting the bathrooms working at Lockhart.

No definite word on the water park. It seems to be something that is expected to happen, but most seem to have an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude. I hope it happens.

Of note is that Tom Mulroy's community outreach to all the youth and amateur teams seems to be paying dividends. The team is better known in the tri-county and group sales improved last year and should do even better this year. It is also said that it has pulled in sponsorships that total in the 6 figures. Peanuts for ClauBecks & the Cosmos, but life savers for an underfinanced D II team.

I can not find a thing about season tickets. This is a better protected secret than some of the stuff that the NSA is doing.

The NASL announcing the 2014 Spring Championship with the Strikers playing a full 9 game schedule at least give us hope they'll be around until June. That's good. Barely.

20. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. With MLS supposedly on the near horizon for Atlanta, I wasn't sure someone would actually take over the team.

22. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Silverbacks GM said in a recent interview that they are open to being purchased by the MLS ownership group, or becoming an affiliate (I guess that would mean USL), or remaining an independent NASL club (hopefully that could last but, it may be a lot harder than FTL v MIA as our stadiums would be closer and our brand isn't as strong).

Here is the interview:
    http://www.atlantasilverbacks.com/fc/news/item/q-a-with-president-gm-andy-smith-part-ii

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Actually having the Silverbacks become the affiliate of a MLS Atlanta team can be a win win and maybe another win for everyone.
    First, the Silverbacks already have a brand name with a roster of D2 players that can be moved to the USL Pro

second, They already have a new soccer specific stadium. Capacity 5K can be expanded if needed.

Third while the MLS team may play in a multi football/Soccer specific stadium. They will need a training facility and Silverback Park already offers that and plans to expand are already there.

fourth NWSL. Silverbacks have a club in the W-League. MLS partnership or buy out of the whole Silverbacks brande could include synergy of a BWSL team as well. One big advatage to this situation is that they will already have a smaller capacity soccer specific stadium for the NWSL side.

Now while Portland is pushing for 15K per game and can use the MLS field will Houston or other teams be able to do the same or would they be better off in their own stadium built for a NWSL capacity.

Something special could really happen in Atlanta on the soccer front. Whoever just bought the club could turn out to be a genius

24. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this Sports Illustrated article is accurate, your club will definitely have the edge on the branding front:

"David Beckham really is considering naming his MLS expansion franchise the Miami Vice, The Post claimed Wednesday. There’s even a crest and uniform concept that Beckham’s group apparently showed off to local officials and potential investors. It features an aqua and black kit complete with flashes of pink.

The other two suggested monikers were Miami Current — which means nothing and could be for any team in any sport in any city in the country — and an undisclosed name tied to a corporate sponsor."

http://soccer.si.com/2014/02/12/miami-vice-beckham-mls-expansion/