Strikers/Forwards Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Chicharito352, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Chicharito352

Chicharito352 Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I thought I'd make a thread to discuss Strikers/ Forwards. Who's better, the different styles and things of that nature.

So I'll start the discussion to talk about the different types of strikers

Here they are

Center Forwards "Number 9's"
    Fernando Torres
    Samuel Eto'o
    Ronaldo
    Gonzalo Higuain

Poachers
    Radamel Falcao
    Chicharito
    Mario Gomez
    Ruud Van Nistlerooy

Outside Strikers Winger-esq type of Strikers(Don't know what to call them)
    Thierry Henry
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Mario Balotelli
    Alexis Sanchez
    Neymar
    Robinho

Target Man
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    Didier Drogba
    Emile Heskey

I don't know what to call this group they usually captain the team and provide goals and assist

Raul Gonzalez
    Robin Van Persie
    David Villa
    Carlos Tevez

False 9
    Lionel Messi
    Wayne Rooney

So yeah what would you call that group second to the last? Are there any other type of Strikers and what do you think is the best group? Any other notable players that should be name or don't belong in certain group?

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Firstly, at present due to simplicity in "label" of players, most often there are 2 types as you indicated in the thread' Striker and Forwards

However, the term "FORWARD" consists of many positions and styling of players .... as most tactics formations now aday employ with 2 to 4 FORWARDS ,

whereas, the "STRIKER" position is almost DEAD since mid 2000's
    So in a sense we are going back to history of 2 3 5 and WM, with 4 or 3 or 2 "FORWARDS" to be utilized in different formation 4 2 3 1 , 4 3 3 and 4 4 1 1

We have to DIFFERENTIATE between "ROLE" and "POSITION" :

--------------- POSITION ------------ ROLE ---------------

CR7 .................Left Forward..............." free role in attack"
    Ribbery ............Left forward .............."half-playmaker" a la Zizou at Real
    Robben............ Right forward.............."half-playmaker" a la Figo Barca

Messi ..............Center forward .......... "False 9" link up MF
    Ibra ................ center forward .........."decoy 9, and link up MF"
    Rooney ........... center forward ..........."decoy 9, and link up MF"
    Gomez ............cneter forward ............"target man/striker"
    Drogba .......... center forward ............."decoy 9"
    Tevez ........... centerforward ............. "half-playmaker, linkup MF"

David silva ....... FOrward ..................."versatile in use as SS, L or R"
    Raul ................ FORARD..................."versatile in useas SS, L or R "
    Van Persie .........FORARD..................."versatile in useas SS, L or R ".

3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would also add that many of those listed have served as a variety of those positions, depending on the team makeup.

For example, Wayne has more recently played in that Suppot Striker, or decoy 9 linkup MF role as you say.

However, just 2 years ago he was exclusively used in a much more traditional #10/targetman role. He's versatile enough to play both. In fact, many United fans would love to see him back in that role for next year.

4. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[I'm just trying to get what you mean here, mate: You must be talking about Rooney lining-up as "goal-scoring" No.10 front-runner/"out-&-out"-type of striker here? Like when Capello paired him w/Heskey as a "target" striker @ SA '10?]

5. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[It's always interesting to see how different football cultures utilise the terms "No.9 centre-forward" AND "target" man/striker...]

6. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gregoriak repped this.
  7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm talking about the 09-10 season. He banged in something like 36 goals fir united before is injury at Munich. We played a 451 hyrbrid formation in all our big games when he featured as a lone striker.

When we played a more 442 with him and berba up top, he was typically the one closest to goal as berba dropped deep more often.

When he capello paired him with heskey, he was being deployed as a more support striker role, much like he is in the current united setup, and how he was deployed as a younger player.

8. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    These classifications are confusing. Higuain and Eto'o are number 9s, but Gomez is a poacher? Van Persie, Tevez and Villa in the same group because of leadership quality? Not sure about this.

9. Chicharito352

Chicharito352 Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gomez's goals come mostly from tap ins thats why I put him as a poacher where as Eto'o and Higuain can create there own goalscoring opportunities.

Not really leadership qualities but they are similar.They where their teams main goal threat. They have high work rate, help in build up play and assist.

How would you classify them?

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    To me, Higuain Gomez and Huntelaar are all "goal poacher type" or "goalscoring striker inthe box

Eto'o, Tevez, Persie, Ibra, Benzama Aguero are more talented and can create chances for themselves, or others

11. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[Are you trying to say that Gomez & Huntelaar are "out-&-out"- or "predator"-type strikers that excel in the art of poaching goals here, mate?]

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Not quite in the mould of Gerd Muller, Nisterooy ,,, but at this moment (#9 dying out) they are among the best poachers

13. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[When you say "#9 dying out": your "#9" is a "spearhead" striker or an advanced out-&-out goal-scorer, correct?]

14. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[I don't think that the "leadership quality" part enters into it much: it seems as if "Chicarito" is trying to figure out his own positional/role label for what are either "free-role" central forwards or goal-scoring "support"-type strikers IMO...]

15. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[I was talking about HESKEY lining-up as a "target"-type striker here; NOT Rooney, mate.]

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Great signature

BTW how would you classify some American strikers like Wynalda, McBride, Mathis, EJ?

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  17. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

An editorial feature on Emile Heskey as a "target-playing" centre-forward and his on-the-pitch value to Michael Owen as a strike partner for both Liverpool and England:

http://putnielsingoal.com/2014/01/16/the-striker-who-didnt-need-to-score/

Gregoriak repped this.
  18. Cisarro

Cisarro New Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Hi:

I have got a doubt, and I'm sorry if I'm confusing some "label"... if Chicharito, Inzaghi and Gerd Müller are considered as "out and out strikers"... how you call those "centre-forwards" like Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, Florian Albert, Gilbert Oswald Smith, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) etc? I mean, those players who aren't just good goal-scorers but they are good being creative and creating goal opportunities to others... linkup centre-forward? set-up centre-forward? creative centre-forward? playmaker centre-forward?

Thank you

19. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I think Mr Roy meant:
    1- Out and out striker = (goal poacher and main scoring striker) Muller, Lineker, Owen , Nistelrooy Inzaghi Crespo and lately ... Higuain, Gomez, Majukic ...

2- Spearhead - advance striker (or center Forward) in Eusebio, Romario Basten Ronaldo, Etoo Batistuta Ibramovic and lately Lewandowski, ... Giroud Torres or Suarez could be here

3- Target CF (or decoy #9) in Kluivert, Heskey, Sheva, Henry , Drogba , Benzama, and lately Suarez Torres

20. Cisarro

Cisarro New Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    #20 Cisarro, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    That distinction between out-and-out and spearhead in English lingo sounds interesting. In my country (Chile) the spearhead (punta de lanza) refers to the player (or players) responsible for being the main finisher when his team is attacking: Ronaldo, Romario, Batistuta, Müller, Ruud, Inzaghi, Chicharito, etc. So, in my culture the out-and-out striker would be a type of spearhead.

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yeah thanks to Mr Roy for the terminology ...

In older days, every attacker is called FORWARD (until 60's)
    In late 2000's era, there is a grey area (merry go round) between AM and FW and strikers .... (go back to the 50's)

Funny how the WORLD is ROUND eh?

22. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  23. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I've always liked the term "ball-playing centre-forward"...

24. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Having now seen these 50 minutes highlights in full, I saw it shows many times the trademark quality of Lineker, and one of the aspects he mastered in perfection; the off-the-shoulder runs.

It also shows an excellent Brady, Beardsley, Hysen, McGrath, Sansom, Platini and Maradona so it is a worthwhile watch for more reasons. But in terms of strikers I noticed how it shows Lineker his trademark move very well (and he was on the losing side!).

http://www.truecoloursfootballkits....pboard-football-league-centenary-classic-1987

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #25 JamesBH11, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    It's so misleading if one only looked at the line up and shirt number ...
    Lineker should wear #9 and Platini as #8 (or #11) instead ... He was playing as center forward