Stoke/Hull: 3/29 - cameron starts

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by wixson7, Mar 29, 2014.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    SCFC XI v Hull (4-2-3-1): Begovic; Pieters, Wilson, Shawcross, Cameron; Arnautivic, Nzonzi, Whelan; Ireland, Odemwingie, Crouch.

No Shea.

SCFC subs v Hull: Sorensen; Muniesa, Palacios, Adam, Guidetti, Wilkinson, Etherington

ImaPuppy and bungadiri repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Wow, no love for our starting RB... Shame on all of you. :)

First half, pretty good for geoff. Had a very lovely play 5' in, gets forward, cuts it, does the old pull back "v" thing to find and overlapper. Was very nice. Hes moving the ball around and looking to play square/forward first. One bad moment was him with ball at midfield and sorta froze, arne/whelan was yelling for the ball wide open in the middle. You could hear everyone yelling "geoff".... but he chose differently on that play. Otherwise hes been good.

Defensively hes been aggressive and tight. Couple times on a cross he seems to have lost his man, but nothing came if it.

Will watch 2nd half later...

DiscoWarrior11 and Winoman repped this.
  3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to but... flippin' wife and kid have come back from holiday, and now I get "one game" of telly :(

waitin' it out for Arsenal vs. City

chad repped this.
  4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    1-0 Stoke in the 80th minute. Odemwingie scored in the 62nd, Geoff was not involved and I'm not watching so I'm not sure how he's playing.

5. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full time, Stoke City 1-0 Hull City. As one of the announcers put it, it was a functional performance by Stoke, but not exactly inspiring. Cameron was his usual steady self, and he looks more and more comfortable as a right back, to the point that Stoke doesn't even think about moving him out of that role.

6. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol, it's amazing to see the difference in the number of posts regarding Jozy and Cameron. Awww poor Geoff.

7. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with you, even though I think a new natural RB would be for the best. We've been linked with a RB called Trippier, would love to sign a good attacking RB and have Cam play in CM, that would be pretty sexy. He might even be needed to replace Huth, I still don't think Wilson is the answer in CD.

Sergei_Shtaniuk repped this.
  8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty hilarious that when Geoff was first playing as an RB at Stoke, US fans kept calling for him to be moved to his "natural" central position where he was expected to play for the NT, while Stoke fans wanted to keep him at RB. Now that we have accepted Geoff as the best option at RB (mostly), Stoke fans want a new RB and to move Geoff inside.

9. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whilst this is true I'd argue it's down to Stoke now having a stronger team rather than Cam's form changing. Every fan of every team whether they be Bayern Munich or Kidderminster Harriers have 2 or 3 positions they feel should be addressed, and for years with Stoke fans LB and CM were appalling, so a good player playing out of position at RB was no issue. Now those areas have been addressed it is only sensible to worry about other areas (it is what fans do).

10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Can I just say that shawcross is so very good. Such a typical English CB, but damn do I enjoy watching him. was always just a notch below for the national team, but I'd take that guy any day of the week. Huth is the bruiser, but not sure geoff can supplant him. And whelan/nzonzi are both playing very good at that defensive CM role. not sure gcam fits in anywhere but RB.

11. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Just watched 2nd half, he played good as well. Couple turnovers that drive crazy, one in 54' that he just flat out kicked out of bounds. And hit another of his patented crosses that always concern me the driven backspin floater...he just does not want to put in the curling inswinger....those are the balls that strikers score on. Not the floaters.

With that said, he played solid, couple nice plays and fairly solid defense.