Steubenville

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chesco United, Jan 5, 2013.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Setting aside alcohol and wanking, is fondling the feet of a child a crime? A friend wants to know.

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Depends on whether she was asking for it or not?:unsure:

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Suppose. Let's say I have a hankering for your feet, pin you down, and rub them. What's the crime? There surely is one, since I restrained you and did a nonconsenting act, but what it is?

And would that crime be more severe if you were underage?

My friend is curious.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had class discusions in which a rape-type situation came up. And each time, several of the guys would voice the "she was behaving like she wanted it" so it was okay to have sex with her. And in every discussion that was co-ed, at least 1 female voiced the same opinion. I even had 1 student who voiced the opinion that if a girl gets drunk, she should expect that she will be raped. What was amazing was that a few guys in that same class rebuked her.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.
    http://www.livescience.com/33525-foot-fetishes-toe-suck-fairy.html
    Ramachandran said he solved the mystery of foot fetishes whilestudying[​IMG] the brain malfunctions that lead to phantom limb syndrome, a condition where amputees feel as if their missing limbs are still attached to their bodies, and that they can move those limbs. He found that the syndrome resulted when a person's "body image map" the brain's map of the body, in which different body parts are associated with and controlled by different brain regions failed to erase the part of the map that corresponded to the amputated limb.
    Long before Ramachandran began his work on phantom limb syndrome, it had been noted that the brain areas associated with genitalia and feet are adjacent to each other in the brain's body image map. But no one else had put 2 and 2 together and realized that foot fetishes could possibly result from cross-wiring in the brain between the foot and the genital parts.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You were amazed that a few men were not idiots?

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an inner-city high school class. And I was amazed not that they guys said something (I work very hard on getting them socially-conscious) but that they spoke up about that girl being in the wrong and other girls in the class did not. It was a good-amazing, not a surprise-amazing.

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    FYP
    The problem is determining when sexual freedom becomes sexual assault. In theory, it's "No means No". In reality, it's hard to prove what was said, and when. It's amazing that sometimes there is video of these incidents, but that's uncommon.
    I'm not defending rapist-athletes in the least. But, all accused are entitled to the same rights, and if someone was to accuse you of sexual misconduct after an incident, you would certainly question their veracity, as well as their sobriety and their history. While rape shield statutes exist, they are not impermeable, and the facts surrounding an actual incident often cause more problems for accusers & investigators, than previous incidents.

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like, but worse. Pretty hard to read that story. Why those guys would do such things, and why they derived pleasure from the experience ... man I just don't know. Shaking my head.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just sick. And, like JohnR said, hard to read.

But no, this isn't a Steubenville story, where shit got covered up by school officials because the perps were football players. It's just one of thousands of stories of people who felt like they could just do whatever they wanted to someone else. And the class val just watched. I don't know what kind of school a val from bumf**k Gilmer County, Georgia gets into, but I sure wouldn't want to call him a college classmate. Anyhow... sorry, not tabloid-y enough, with no real sports angle involved, to get the ink Steubenville got.

What organization or institution needs to be "taken down a peg" (Penn State reference) because of this incident and the hundreds of others like it that happen every year?

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well the objectification of women is pretty central to this kind of behavior I would say. It is probably much easier to do such things if you do not perceive the victim as a real person.

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Not far off, though:
    http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/jun/12/calhoun-suspect-loses-his-scholarship/
    "All three men arrested on May 28 were athletes at Calhoun High School. Chapman and Haynes played quarterback and wide receiver for the powerhouse Yellow Jackets football team, which has competed in the state championship in five of the past six years. In the weeks between the prom and the arrests of Chapman, Johnson and Haynes, a group began to protest in Calhoun. The group's leaders said all three men came from well-connected families who could try to influence investigators. The protesters also said the suspects' high school athletic careers might have dissuaded police from investigating them in this small city of 15,000 people. "The school did try to keep it quiet because they were athletes and very-well-known students," said Dakota Mashburn, one of the protesters. "They tried to keep it quiet because it would hurt the reputation of the Calhoun school system. We didn't want the school to avoid this matter because they were athletes.""

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Split the diffy.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #1640 JBigjake, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  16. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chesco United repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They probably could have told him no, but it would have been contested, and he'd likely have played while the decision was being looked at. I don't know for sure that they could have kept him off the squad if there are no rules regarding extracurriculars for HS students who have done time in Juvie.

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    In related football rape-y news, an FSU "Ask Jameis Winston something" went horribly wrong

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston is famous for a lot things. He won the Heisman trophy and the BCS title game last season, for instance. He's also been accused of rape in a casebungled by the Tallahassee police department and got busted for stealing crab legs. So, when FSU inexplicably started an #AskJameis hashtag on Twitter and asked folks to submit questions, which topics do you think the festering cesspool of Twitter wanted to talk about?

http://deadspin.com/florida-states-ask-jameis-hashtag-was-a-predictable-m-1619082266

dapip repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm imagining a big-ass Whack-a-Mole table with Jameis sticking his head out for, like, eight seconds at a time. I don't know that he raped anyone, but he lost me at "crab legs". I'm sure he didn't come up with this idea. Whoever did needs to be shot in the leg, at least.

20. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Chesco United and msilverstein47 repped this.
  21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He lied repeatedly on the Internet, inciting readers to action based on false information. Maybe his heart was in the right place. Or maybe not ... maybe he didn't care a bit about the victim, but was enjoying stirring up a response. Matters not to me. Book him.

Otherwise, we're being Trump -- leaks are great! because they help me, ooh leaks! are awful because they hurt me. Pick a side. But just one.

NORML repped this.
  22. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I bet Reno SOCKOTCH voted for Trump.

Chesco United repped this.
  23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium