Steubenville

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chesco United, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Ray Lewis is insufferable. During the National Anthem last night most people were standing around looking bored or thinking about the game. Ray Lewis was practically in tears. Then he was rolling around screaming about Jesus after they won. What horrible pre-game show are we going to have this jackass on in the future?

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you seem to be saying is that people can't change. I'm not a Lewis fan or apologist, but I also don't follow the NFL so I don't know much about him.

And this idea of change also applies to programs like Stubenville. So many people are tied to that program, financially and emotionally, that it makes change difficult. But, change is possible. If people accept that change is possible.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well, he went to "the U" which is strike one in my book. He was a party to a murder and through good lawyering, his role was swept under the Astroturf..strike 2. He dances on the field in a "look at me" way which is an embarrassment to every hardass linebacker of yesteryear. A complete douchebag.

4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, people have to admit there is a problem, which most of the people from Steubenville I have heard from aren't doing.

soccernutter and Chesco United repped this.
  5. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sandusky retired after the 1999 season. Tom Bradley replaced him as defensive coordinator. Sandusky was no longer defensive coordinator when the events witnessed by Calhoun (and later McQueary) took place. When I was on campus, it was difficult to determine where the university ended and where the Second Mile began. Anyway, we should probably move Penn State discussion to the Penn State thread and leave this one for the Steubenville situation.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Come, on, man...

7. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I like Ray Lewis. He should be a first ballot Hall of Famer. He also got charged with murder, despite not having killed anyone.

minerva and fatbastard repped this.
  8. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really don't know that and neither does anyone else.

From his wiki..

9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Very good player, not as good as Butkus or LT. Will make HOF easily. Not likeable IMO

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It strikes me as naive to believe the crime will always be exposed.

bigredfutbol and Chesco United repped this.
  11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Crimes > discovered crimes > reported crimes > recorded crimes

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=245

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=4393
    • ... the highest percentages of unreported crime ... household theft (67%) and rape or sexual assault (65%)
    • ... a greater percentage of victimizations perpetrated by someone the victim knew well (62%) went unreported to police, compared to victimizations committed by a stranger (51%).

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    The military has problems at the top, and at the bottom:
    http://news.yahoo.com/sex-major-reason-military-commanders-fired-123720150.html
    http://news.yahoo.com/few-report-sex-assaults-military-academies-195038074.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/06/military-sexual-assault-defense-department_n_1834196.html
    A little light reading:
    http://www.sapr.mil/media/pdf/repor..._Report_on_Sexual_Assault_in_the_Military.pdf

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's hard to deny this, but we are talking about amateur (youth level) sports here. The fact that we are comparing that to what might happen in churches and the board rooms of companies is rather telling.

soccernutter and stanger repped this.
  14. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In the US, small towns live and die for their high school football team. If Steubenville was located in Europe, they'd probably have a lower division side. They'd still have a 10,000 seat stadium. Sports just wouldn't be mixed up with the education process.

Auriaprottu, Mattbro and Boloni86 repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Especially when the perpetrator (and his organization) were one of Bush 41's Thousand Points of Light.

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    You need to attend some meetings and view the hierarchy of some American youth-level sports organizations.

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think watching Friday Night High School games on ESPNU should do the trick.
    He's a smart guy,he'll connect the dots from there.

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant apart from the murder. I don't know anything about him since.

20. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you need to know something besides a murder?

21. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of the local sports teams in Steubenville, I prefer Franciscan U. Barons soccer, to any Steubenville Big Red side.

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Wankler and Chesco United repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm reminded of that segment of "sports" fans who love college basketball, love Duke, for example, but won't watch the NBA. When cornered, they tend to profess a love for "fundamental" ball (completely ignorant of the fact that this is athletics and they're making a virtue of the very ordinary) and "fundamental" players (who actually aren't as fundamental as the NBA guys, but look more so because they don't have anything else in the way of skills). Either that or they profess a love for guys who aren't "flashy", whatever that means, or demonstrative in a way that doesn't jibe with a narrow worldview.

I'm almost certain you're not in... that category, but why does the U trigger such knee-jerk responses from otherwise politically reasonable people?

All I ever saw when I watched Miami was a bunch of talented young men who were maybe rough around the edges. Sure, they were a bit more demonstrative than you'd see at some other places, but I was prouder of them than I've ever been of any of the players of color who suited up for the last seven B(C)S champions. I'll support a Black player who doesn't feel the need to be humble ever day over one who deliberately goes to a program where he needs to "know his role", so to speak.

24. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    msilverstein47 repped this.
  25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hey, they lost to not one but two colleges at which I used to work. I'm surprised Wash & Jeff didn't put a bigger beatdown on them. And D'Youville is not the one team I'd expect them to have beaten.

Two of my former students combined for 3 of four goals against them in one of their losses.