Steubenville

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chesco United, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite the same ring to it as that Beatles album, eh?

Anyway, they didn't spare the rivets on that sign, did they? I'll postulate that a few of them may have disappeared before the town's elders decided to bolt the next one into place a bit more robustly.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    LMAO

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sure that is in England.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  5. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm thinking of Occupying Steubenville on February 2nd (weather permitting).

msilverstein47 and Val1 repped this.
  6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please do.

I have Christmas - gift tickets to the theater that weekend, so I really cannot be anywhere but DC. It's been a long time since I marched/demonstrated/occupied, but this would be the case that would get me off my fat ass.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Not to be a dick and all, but what would you be protesting? "Rape is wrong, small towns cover sh*t up!" :confused:

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was wondering that too. Against high school footballers for being assholes? I could do that.

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Show of support for the alleged victim?

Boloni86 and song219 repped this.
  10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If I go, I'd be protesting political corruption, the suspects being tried as juveniles, etc. I don't see why the coach still has a job.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, not to be snarky, but what is there NOT to protest about this unfortunate incident? Every aspect reeks...

soccernutter repped this.
  12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Pretend your name is "Jake," and when I tell you not to worry, change "Chinatown" to " Steubenville."

Chesco United repped this.
  13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He could be protesting against the wrongful use of the Love Boats commanding officers name for a steel town.

14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Full marks for trying, but that's one heck of a reach....

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Just wanted to point out that Steubenville gave the world Dean Martin, Ed Crawford, Wild Cherry, Rollie Fingers and Traci Lords. Strange little town.

Dyvel and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  17. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sanducky. As someone who's actually met said convicted pedophile, I like the typo.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    chaski repped this.
  19. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah, legless beggars gotta be all "you comparing us to some rape-filled sh*thole in Appalachia? Thanks a lot!"

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just got my computer back after a week and now I won't have to post from a damn mobile phone. The thread's not quite necro, so I'll bite.

You are talking about a small town populated with people who went to the local high school, still live in the town and who attend games. If they can fit into the jackets, I don't see what's scary about it.

Down here, people who have no connection whatsoever to Alabama or Auburn wear all sorts of licensed clothing to the games and no one bats an eye. They do the same for their high schools. I've never set foot on Ohio soil, but I bet Steubenville's not the only town in Ohio where this happens. And IMO alums wearing old letter jackets while watching a football game doesn't create a rape culture.

That doesn't give me pause for concern any more than it would or would not for a college program.

One of the biggest "givens" about HS athletics is that it's supposed to carry less weight than college programs. Why on Earth should glorifying the final level of amateur athletics be any more or less acceptable than glorifying the one before it- especially when the majority of Americans finish HS (that is, they have a personal connection) but not college? They're all amateurs, at least in theory, but we devote countless hours to college football. If that's because ESPN and FOX tell us it matters, fine, but there's no logic or reason beyond that.

Ismitje, Boloni86 and Chesco United repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Up until the mid-70s or so, the Crimson Tide football team gave an identity to a lot of people during the time when the rest of the country was slowly beginning a move toward desegregation. Those duties are now being handled by the head coach (inadvertently) and the administration. The Tuskegee Airmen gave an identity to a lot of people for the exact opposite reason.

Basically, you just described the feelings a lot of people have for a lot of institutions, up to and including citiszenship in a state or nation. The difference is, people don't get shot in the hundreds or thousands because of sports, and women don't get raped because the other team won a football game. We may "live and die" for our teams but we die literally (and make others do the same) for country even when our collective lives and lifestyles are not in the balance. I see no reason for people not to hang their hats on school and community if they're doing it for country and church.

Rape culture is created by rapists, period.