Steubenville

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chesco United, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Are these the students who think you're a wuss for not wanting anything to do with guns? :-D Hopefully you can get through to them a little better on this issue!

2. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah just a bit:D I still commend her, that conversation will have gotten that boys attention more than any PC bullshit "talk" between a parent and a son. The term itself has been watered down so much that I wonder how man teens these days realize what a ********ed up thing it is. Just look at this site for example and how the term is thrown about to point out one team crushing the other.

I'm getting off my soapbox before I get carried away.

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    A famous retiring middle linebacker was part of a post-Super Bowl murder a decade ago. He's gonna get a seat next to Tom Jackson on ESPN soon.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a comment on timing, not the quality.

5. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I get that, but unless my timeline is off, barely anyone at all new about this story because it was such a local story in an isolated Appalachian town, right? Some woman blogged about it because she is actually from that town... which is how the NYT eventually caught wind of it, and then wrote a story that got swamped by the Newtown massacre. Safe to say that without the NTY article, Anonymous wouldn't have known about it either. Right? Or am I muddling the chronology?

Moishe repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This case from North Jersey made national headlines in 1989:

The Glen Ridge rape was an incident in Glen Ridge, New Jersey in 1989 in which a mentally handicapped girl was raped with a broomstick and a bat by members of the Glen Ridge High School football team. This event attracted nationwide attention, mainly due to the perception that the assailants had been given special treatment by the school and local authorities due to their status as local football stars. The events were later documented in a book, TV movie, and served as the loose basis for a 1998 episode of Law & Order.

Reactions within Glen Ridge

Many Glen Ridge students characterized the victim as promiscuous, as did many parents in the town. Some Glen Ridge residents stated that they felt that the school placed too great an importance on athletics, and this led outsiders to speculate that the athletes had received special treatment by the school. People pointed out that the boys had not been punished for destroying Mary Ryan’s house two years earlier, and that they could get away with things that others could not. Some said that the athletes were being protected in order to maintain an image of Glen Ridge as a squeaky clean town, and that until the national media had picked this story up, the incident would have been swept under the rug. Many others rejected the notion that the town as a whole bore some collective guilt in the matter. Many within the town felt more sympathy for the boys and their families than for the victim. Bernard Lefkowitz's book about the incident quoted a parent as saying "It's such a tragedy...they’re such nice boys and this will scar them forever." The school responded to the charges by suspending the suspects from school for ten days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Ridge_rape

7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost. The NYT caught wind of it because the suspects were suing the blogger for defamation.

Here is a timeline from buzzfeed.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/the-definitive-timeline-of-the-steubenville-rape-s

crazypete13, Dyvel, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Here's a video of coach Reno SOCKOTCH delivering a halftime speech. I guess this is what football coaches are supposed to sound like in the locker room, but I still dislike him intensely. And then there's the way he's bastardized the pronunciation of an awesome Italian name.

Not much support for coach SOCKOTCH in the comments....

Chesco United repped this.
  9. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I hope Little Sappho makes a trip to Ohio. (Once shes off the Moon, which makes Eastern Ohio look like a cultural wasteland)

10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My reading of the site seemed to indicate they were throwing the school district under the bus.

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Wonder how many players know that Man-O-War was a horse?

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Really. Surprised he didn't bring up an ancient Greek battle. Those kids look like the studious types. :eek:

soccernutter repped this.
  13. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Hell, I didn't even know that until now... I just thought it was a Portuguese battleship! That being said, I think the players at least do know that, because they apparently have a horse Man-O-War that breathes fire at their stadium every time they score a touchdown.

14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Man-O-War win the Triple Crown? With Steubenville's history of gambling I would be surprised if the kids weren't taught about that in "school".

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No he didn't. He didn't win the Kentucky Derby.

Edit: Apparently he wasn't even entered in the Kentucky Derby.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone from the eastern shore, I have to ask....have you ever been to where he was stabled in Berlin just outside of Ocean City?

17. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hmm, never even really thought to look it up, actually. I like horse racing, I just don't like horses. But if you ever want to visit it when you next come up here, let me know...

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's also a busy road in Lexington, KY. And if I ever steal a street sign, it will be from Man O' War Boulavard

[​IMG]

19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I want the freeway sign in San Diego that reads "Cruise ships use Airport Road."

20. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Austria's most frequently stolen town sign:

[​IMG]

21. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    30 some years ago I "liberated" the Lisa Ave street sign to give my girl of the same name. She dumped me soon thereafter, but as of 10 years ago, she still had the street sign.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Penguin and Juice would really have gotten that.

23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City