Steubenville

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chesco United, Jan 5, 2013.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Steubenville "Facts" page was put up by the people that allowed this to happen in the first place.

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apparently, Steubenville PD has had a history of shadiness:

http://www.cnn.com/US/9911/10/police.misconduct/index.html

msilverstein47 repped this.
  4. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All you need to take from that article is this

5. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

Good to see parents having a heart-to-heart with their kids about such an important topic.

6. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah such good memories of my early teen years.....

7. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is cases like this that demand an outside, impartial investigation take place. That this is being tried in public is really a disservice to the poor rape victim whose welfare should be first on everyone's mind. Justice for her in the way of prosecuting those who raped her and applying a proper punishment for their act is a very close second.

Dyvel, soccernutter and msilverstein47 repped this.
  8. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it wasn't brought to light by the workings of Anonymous and KnightSec, there wouldn't be any justice at all. Small towns have a way of making things go away.

The kid in the video that was on academic scholarship at OSU, the one bragging about it, would still be in class because no one would know.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  9. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think all I need to know about this case is summed up from a line in the NY Times original story: the Steubenville High football team has 19 coaches(!)

That is beyond insane.

Caring this much about the on-field exploits of young men, I think, is sick. I've been coming around to the thought that caring about a sports team must be one of the basest urges in human makeup. And I say this as a lifelong sports fan, one who has lived and died for his teams. Of course, when your teams are Arsenal, the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Cowboys, the Celtics and UVa football, I've been doing more dieing than living, but that is besides the point. By caring for sport to the extent we do, our society embues the Mario Balotellis of the world with a significance way out of proportion to his meaningfulness on this planet. And the fans of Big Red have enabled an environment of corruption, lawlessness and evil, all in the name of a winning football program.

I watched the 60 Minutes piece on Barca and La Masia and how the team inspires the entire Catalan region and gives an identity to a "downtrodden" people, and my first thought was, "Neat, a team can provide positive inspiration". And then, thinking about this disgusting episode, I find myself thinking that endowing a team with much of anything of import is just sad. It's obvious that humans need a sense of identity, but it's pathetic that the good residents of Steubenville have wrapped theirs up in the Big Red. It would be laughable if I could detach myself from the same passions, yet here I am on a soccer message board fretting about Arsenal's non-winter signings. <<<Sigh>>>

10. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I don't get it. At least three of those teams have been extraordinarily successful over the years (I don't know anything abut UVa football). Not to mention they're all from different parts of the country/world. You'd probably suffer a lot more if you chose the local teams from wherever you're from.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree. If you don't want outsiders involved in your town's affairs, clean up your own messes. But it's pretty clear no one in town was going to do anything about it.

And why would a HS football team need 19 coaches?

Dead Fingers repped this.
  12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The magnitude of the Pirates' suckage over the last 20 years counters every trophy those other teams have ever lifted.

Val1 repped this.
  13. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I meant to say "recently".:D

Mattbro repped this.
  14. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not objecting to the case coming out into the public, I just feel that now that it is so well known that an outside dept. do a complete investigation and let the process go from there. Thankfully it has been brought to light, now its time to help this girl and prosecute those responsible.

Chesco United repped this.
  15. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We are a very very sick people...

The one constant throughout human history is how poorly we act towards each other.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    On the bright side, we're slightly further along with this issue than India.

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not so much around steubenville. :(

True most places that sheet don't fly.

I can't imagine the kind of culture where somebody would think that was something to brag about. You had sex with a ruffied chick and are laughing about her lack of response in a video interview afterwards, that shows your face, I just can't get my head around that part of it at all. There is something bad wrong with the people in the town as a whole if they have these kinds of youth who do these acts and then post about them on social media and phones and such afterwards.

I know it happens every day and all that but this seems especially egregious, because of the adults who were complicit after the fact.

18. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Might of been a bit harsh but kudos to mom for having that conversation and not sugar coating the severity of rape.

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know, living in a small town suddenly with the world watching your every move, accusing you of something you might not have done...might have been over the top, but I can see somebody saying that to a well seasoned reporter or investigator.

No defending the words or actions or the general dickishness of the guy, but might consider that before executing him.

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't say much about the New York Times.

21. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    A bit? :-D

22. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rape culture is real.

Chesco United repped this.
  23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that is the point (not about you personally). Some of us get so caught up not just cheering, but full on supporting our team that we think we are part of the team, the club, the legacy. I cheer Spurs, and have a better day when they win. But I don't become despondent if they lose. I don't lose sleep, particularly if they lose to Arsenal. And I said: "they." It is not "we." It is "they." I buy jerseys and flags and other stuff because I like the team and the players. Hell, one of my favorite players EVER will be known to Spurs fans as Judas.

It is that kind of fanaticism that devotion to a team that is unhealthy. Yet we want to feel special, greater, and like some parents, live personal success though our sports teams.

I am a Laker fan (how that - Spurs and Lakers :p) but I don't care who they beat or who they lose to as long as the win the championship...if they do. But I call out bullshit when it happens. I have had several conversations with my students about Kobe being one of the greatest players ever. But I always tell them that he is an asshole off the court. I do this to make sure my students don't do the identifying that you are talking about, enabling the crap like Balotelli and Suarez spew.

A perfect concept to this is the end of this video. (Sorry if you are not a Spurs fan. Skip ahead to 3:34 if you are not.)

ToMhIlL repped this.
  24. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I don't know... keep in mind the Times released its story in the wake of the Newtown massacre, when pretty much no other news stories were gaining traction.