Stephen Hawking - "God did not create the Universe"

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by minerva, Sep 2, 2010.

1. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    funny, how the title of the book could suggest that he believes in intelligent design.

2. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I'm interested to read the book. In the reviews I've read so far, it doesn't sound like he is making the positive statement some of the headlines make it sound like. Rather, he is saying that god isn't necessary for the universe to happen.

3. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I think that is correct, but of course no one is going to read a headline that doesn't suggest something much more surprising or polemical.

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously.

Can us atheists/rationalists and faithful/believers get together and kill everyone in the media? They aren't doing any of us any favors.

5. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    "The Grand Design" in Hawking's own words:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Design-Stephen-Hawking/dp/0553805371/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283593556&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Grand Design (9780553805376): Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow: Books[/ame]

"according to quantum theory, the cosmos does not have just a single existence, or history, but rather that every possible history of the universe exists simultaneously".

Imagine the possibilities. God, I'd love to have this guy post in here!

"As we promise in our opening chapter, unlike the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life given in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, the answer we provide in The Grand Design is not, simply, "42."

Now that would get positive rep.

7. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo"]YouTube- 'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss, AAI 2009[/ame]

8. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    Misleading title. What he tried to say is that, a God is not neccesary or a universe to exist.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    In some contexts there is a big difference between "not necessary" and "did not", but in this case I think the media's dumbed-down translation of things seems appropriate. If God is not necessary for a Universe to exist then I think its fair to say that beyond a reasonable doubt God does not exist.

10. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    Can we honeslty say that the law of physics can be applied to the universe as a whole?

11. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Given the data we have gathered over the centuries, it is the most reasonable position that the laws of physics can be applied everywhere just the same.

There have always been fringe theories, claiming for example that the speed of light changes over time, but every such theory has been contradicted by the data, no matter where we look, everything seems to work just the same.

Although I've recently read an interesting article where scientists presented some evidence that the fine-structure constant varies ever so slightly over large distances, meaning that it has slightly different values depending on where in space you are. As of now, we still don't know the answer to that particular claim, but at the same time, would the fundamental constants indeed vary, then this would deal the death-blow to the fine tuning argument. In a universe with varying laws or constants, be it over space or time, you will inevitably get them right somewhere.

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another way to look at it is that the universe is the place where our laws of physics apply. Given the possibility that there are countless other universes with different laws of physics, we can't "honestly" make blanket statements like that. Which might be what you were getting at.

13. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    Which makes hawkings statement blanekt as well?....

It still does not does not answer the existence of God.

My point is that, most of these data ere gathered on earth.....

I understand that. But did we already get it right?....don't know something tells me hawkings is rushing things

14. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I just don't get why anyone cares what Stephen Hawking thinks about God. If I want to know stuff about black holes, he's my guy. If I want insight into God, I'm going elsewhere.

15. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    But oten times, His works dismiises the idea of God. Though, he might not say it straight it......I also don't care o what haw kings thinks, but athesit use him.

16. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is why should anyone use him? Who cares if he dismisses the idea of God? Is the faith of anyone - anyone at all - going to depend on what some dried-up old scientist has to say? I'm thinking probably not.

17. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    Ask atheist people why they use him.

18. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand not using him, but where are you going to look? What human being can claim any knowledge whatsoever of the existence of God?

19. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Well, it appears none of us has yet read his new book, so there is still some guessing going on here about what Hawking is saying. Nonetheless, if what one of the most renowned physicists is saying is that the physical universe does not require a god or god-like force to exist, that might be significant. There is still an inference necessary to make a positive statement that god does not exist, and one would guess that Hawking would be intellectually honest enough to recognize that and wouldn't make that statement. If you believe in god and want to investigate her nature, Hawking surely isn't the place to go. If you are interested in whether creation was spurred by god and whether god has physical effects, a physicist is a reasonable person to cite.

20. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Well, we've physically been to many places in our solar system, from the Moon, to Mars, Venus, we've even sent a lander to Titan, and we've had lot's of probes orbiting all kinds of bodies. So We can be fairly certain of the laws of nature in our Solar system.

Further, we have light coming in from far away places, both in time and space. From that we can also draw conclusions about stars and the physics within them and now we have the technology to find planes outside of our solar system and it all fits into the puzzle, giving us an image of the world that has the same laws everywhere.

A puzzle is actually a good analogy for most of science. We start out without knowing what the final picture will look like, but once we have enough pieces, we can tell what's on the picture, even if there are still holes. At that point, it's all but certain and that's where we are.
    What can of course always happen is that thanks to new technology we find new pieces and it turns out that we thought that we had a puzzle with Donald Duck, but in reality that was only part of the picture and it really is a portrait of Donald Duck sitting on a desk.
    But that doesn't mean that the previous assumption was incorrect, it was simply incomplete, and it certainly won't turn into Mickey Mouse.

Without reading the book, it appears as if Hawking said that we don't need god to explain the origin of the universe. I don't think that's rushing things, given the understanding we have of the world.

A believer can of course always go back one step and ask where the properties "nothingness" come from that allow a Universe to come into existence (because when a physicist talks about "nothing", it's different from the philosophical idea we have about it).

So this new understanding of the world is not proving that god does not exists, and it doesn't attempt to (and neither does Hawking), it rather makes it less likely (once again).

21. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    From his former books, I've gathered that Hawkins was somewhat annoyed by people somehow using the big bang theory as proof of the existance of God. I guess with this book he just intends to argue against people who argument the existence of the divine from scientific theories about the origin of the Universe.

22. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly my point.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, Hawking probably knows more than anybody else about theoretical physics, so if he theorizes about God based on physics, it probably does make for an interesting read. One problem is, I wonder how much the average reader -including myself- can understand about theoretical physics?

As I discovered with some of his earlier writings, we probably will just have to take his word for some of his assertions, and not being able to fully grasp the material probably diminishes in our mind the force of some of the points he is trying to establish.

In the end, if Hawking theorizes that God is not necessary for the Universe to exist, I think it's interesting to try to learn how he arrived at that particular point of view.

I want to read the book with an open mind, and yet I find it highly unlikely that it will affect my personal faith, because my personal faith is not dependent on theoretical applications of physics.

24. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. A responsible scientist will say "we don't know what happened before this point" or "we don't know why this happened." But he can't say "well, we don't currently we know exactly what the universe was like before the big bang therefore it must be magic."

Throughout human history, as we've learned more and more about nature and the universe, the things that required divine explanation have been pushed out further and further. Pretty much right now we're at the point of actual creation of this universe. But just because we don't understand doesn't mean that it required a god. It just means we don't undestand.

And nothing that we've learned about science rules out a god, either. I've never understood why the two can't just be part of the same thing. God creates and uses the rules of science to do it. Or not. Who the ******** knows?

25. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    The thing is that if the rules of nature are sufficient to explain everything, it's unlikely that there is some mysterious thing on top of that.

I've written that in the other thread already.
    Think of it like this:
    We have A (the laws of nature) being sufficient to explain X (our universe)
    So could write it like this: A=X

The believer however doesn't like that equation and brings in the term B (God): A+B=X
    We already know that A=X, so B is not only unnecessary, it has to have the same properties as if it wouldn't exist, so effectively B=0. It doesn't exist.

This is of course where the believer says: wait a minute, God is by definition supernatural and hence we wouldn't expect him to leave any natural traces. So for this analogy, A and X are part of the mathematical realm, while B is part of a supermathematical realm which has properties that are unimaginable to us, so that A=X, A+B=X and B=/=0 could all be true at the same time. It might not make sense to us, but we don't understand supermathematics after all.

However, since we don't know anything about supermathematics by definition (not even whether it exists at all), how could we make any statement whatsoever using supermathematics, including B=/=0?
    Especially since regular mathematics are good enough to account for both A and X. We only need supermathematics once B gets crammed in there.
    In the mathematical realm, the only thing we have access to, A+B=A. So for everything that has any bearing to us, B has exactly the same properties as 0. So for all intends and purposes, B=0 and we have absolutely no reason to think differently.