Stekelenburg drama

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by ShoelessMan, Jan 26, 2013.

1. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    highlight videos are no way to form a complete opinion on any player, let alone a goalkeeper. almost EVERY goalkeeper on the planet can have an awesome highlight video. it's the things that DON'T make the highlight video that you need to pay attention to.

while you're correct that at one time he was a promising keeper, his career has not panned out that way. he's a liability between the sticks.

plus, he was busted for using steroids... i'd never root for him if he played for roma. EVER!

2. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    was that why he wasn't picked as starting keeper for WC2010? or was it just because he sucked?

3. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Like a boss.

whill4, Gouti and Romanista89 repped this.
  5. Gouti

Gouti Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Hyderabad
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    There you go Stek haters... He now speaks Italian which is good enough for an Interview!!

6. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    This past weekend might have been his best ever performance in a Roma jersey. I hope he can continue like this and finally live up to his billing.

wm72, iGiallorossi and Deand21594 repped this.
  7. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Same. I have no problem with him if he plays like that

8. Oban14

Oban14 Member+

Jul 5, 2006
    Illinois
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    agreed, 100%. This is the kind of performance that we all expected from Stek when we signed him. A GK of his pedigree should be able to make the amazing save and keep us in games when we are not playing the best of football. He FINALLY did that last weekend.

9. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    hopefully stek can prove to us (and himself) that last week's performance wasn't just a one-off

i would like to see more consistency from him

10. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is like a big jungle cat when he wants to play.

Stekelionburge

11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Because we're playing a more balanced style he stands out as his old self. People don't seem to get there is a world of difference between the tactics we were playing and how good a keeper is going to look.

Most of our goals conceded were counter attacks were the attacking players had so much time to focus and finish with ease. Totally different and the reason why any keeper would struggle playing how we have done in the last 2 seasons.

12. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    agree. playing a high line makes certain goalkeepers look bad, which was what happened with us under LE and zeman. same thing happened with cech when villas boas took over. doesn't mean stek/cech are bad keepers. it's just what they're used to. some keepers play better with a deep defensive line. some play worse with a deep defensive line like goico and de gea when they have to deal with crosses

13. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Your typing tone leads me to believe that you're a bit angry at people's general opinions of Stekelenburg for the past 1.5 years

14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

I tried explaining my opinion at the time but most couldn't see the bigger picture and were like nah he's crap, rubbish, so over rated etc...If we ever were going to play a balanced style again, of course he was going to look great as a keeper.

People can talk down a keeper like Valdes for example but very few could play step into his shoes.

15. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What people expected was a top 5 goalie in the world and when he couldn't adapt it didn't help his reputation.

Now that its more him hopefully he keeps his form.