Stay Tuned to FC New York

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by R0bbyB0ggio87, Aug 17, 2009.

1. frominsidethelines

frominsidethelines New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I want to hear more about FC NEW YORK...take all this MLS stuff to MLS

2. longislandsoccer

longislandsoccer New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I am saying I am too young too remember any "big stars" in the MLS but remember all too well hearing NOTHING about the MLS or soccer in general. Simply put, I don't remember any MLS or Soccer score-tickers on ESPN, nor remember watching any soccer highlights on any of the major sports shows. I don't remember watching any World Cup games on any english TV channels in 1998. I saw my first EPL game on Cable television in 2004 or 2005.... In fact, I remember not too long ago, when major sporting sites did not even have a "Soccer" tab. If you are trying to imply that soccer was just as big in this country in the early 90s and 2000s as it is now, then I think you are mistaken.

fromthesidelines...as founder of the brand new FC New York supporters club; why don't you spark some conversation about the team?...there already is a conversation in another thread about breaking 500 fans in attendance, there is another conversation about people begging for a better logo, a thread about the Latino supporters (Se Hablo FC New York or something...), a thread about the youth academies, a thread documenting all the press the team has gotten....plenty of discussion. This "MLS stuff" is but a minor side-bar...wouldn't you say?

These discussions always start off about FC New York...then they turn to bringing FC New York to NYC, then they evolve into MLS expanding to include a second New York franchise, and finally theorycrafting about the growth of soccer in the USA. Metro, being the good lawyer he is, usually plays the "other side" in these discussions.

3. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I think you confuse the popularity of soccer in this country with the popularity of Major League Soccer.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/132003

MLS is finally more popular then soccer in general. Both are finally beating figure skating. No High School sport should be more popular though....

I am interested to see what this poll looks like in 2012 after 3 years of Seattle, 2 years of Philly, and 1 year of Portland.

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    This is a prime example of youth versus experience.

You are talking to some posters who have seen the game here/been evolved with the game here for 20-30-40 years.

All I can say to you is that the stateof the game is one trillion times better than it has ever been in the US of A. Whether pro, TV, money, players, exposure, accpetance...you name it.

You are coming from a platform where you haven't seen the shit hole that was soccer here, and how it was despised beyond a commie pinko. Whatever you say today is exponentially better. Guess what? It took a long time, and it will continue to take time, money and commitment for it to get better...which it will.

Just acceptt this little fact about soccer here. Big stars have never ever been the answer. Ever. They have helped, they have always been an asset, but nothing close to the building blocks needed. Many have tried. It's never really worked long term. Ever.

Look at it like this. If you follow the league for 20 more years you will see the growth and how much farther it has come from when you started watching.

There will be someone who just started watching a few years earlier wondering why soccer isn't even a step higher than it is, and criticizing one aspect or another, even though the game will be much farther ahead of where it is now. The difference is you will have seen the grwoth an dwhat it is...he will only see now, and that's all he knows, and wonder why it isn't even better/complain, etc, etc, etc...

It is what it is.

For a guy like me the game has come a long way already. For you, not so far.

5. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    You might very well be right. But I have noticed HUGE changes in this decade alone. That is my point. If I am reading Metro correctly, there have been barely any.

6. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So then Beckham, IS NOT the number one away attendance leader? M, I don't know how you can say this, when its clear that he has increase attendance league wide. In some market, they have needed to rent bigger locations simply to hold the Galaxy game.

M, you aren't making any sense. First Becks isn't a draw and now he is? Hit your head? Are you ok? :D

You have names and figures, you first, then Ill tell you if you've got it right.

Last I spoke to Garber he said he would review my plan, when he gets back to me, Ill get back to you. Deal, M?

7. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You are reading me incorrectly, and you're doing it purposefully. The idea that soccer is way more popular now than just 10 years ago is a big exaggeration. You are wrong that there weren't games in english in the 1998 world cup. There were. I think you are confusing your emerging interest in soccer with that of the nation's.

MLS is not the only barometer of soccer popularity in this country, but at least it is a data point. Not sure what your evidence of "huge" growth in soccer popularity is.

There has been growth, and that's great, but just because you were too young to know that thousands of us crowded bars in the early 90s to see soccer at 10 a.m. from england, for example, doesn't mean it didn't exist. The fact that television is showing more soccer these days just shows that the american sports television business is just coming around to what's been here for a long time.

8. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I am pointing out that Beckham hasn't been playing for a "few years". You're either lying or stupid (or both). :D

You've have told me personally many times who you knew, and how many people you know, only to be proven time and again that you are completely full of sh!t. So you'll excuse me for doubting that you're waiting to hear back from Garber on your plan.

See, you can't name these 14 players, that you then must rotate, because your "plan" is complete non-sense. You talk like you know more than the folks with actual responsibility for soccer in this country. Yet, when given simple responsibilities to actually accomplish something for soccer in NYC, you failed. So forgive me for not taking you seriously. :D

9. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/few

1. Amounting to or consisting of a small number: one of my few bad habits.
    2. Being more than one but indefinitely small in number: bowled a few strings.
    n. (used with a pl. verb)

I guess we have to figure out what a "few" means to you. Apparently the above definition of few is different for you.

Obviously you can't pick up an obvious sarcastic remark, or innuendo for that matter. But I know you do this purposefully to try and make your mark.

As far as the people I know, well when you "supposedly" called me out on it, I gave you the numbers and emails of all the people to call. You pussied out and didn't. How do I know you didn't call these people? Because I asked them. So continue with your disparaging remarks, they suit you well.

You are right, because the All Star Game was such a riveting success. Don't be upset with me if something didn't go your way, be upset with yourself.

10. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    So what is it Metro, make up your mind. Has the game grown or has it not. Now you are saying it has, but just not a lot.

To me, more coverage on the television, and everyone I know talking about it and not calling it g@y, is a sign of growth. I am making my observations from what I have seen out here on "rich", "white", "conservative" Long Island. Not NYC, whose demographics are much more - - soccer friendly.

If you are going to sit here and pull your wise ass lawyer bullsh!t for the next couple of weeks because you can't be wrong, then don't bother posting anymore. You must be the only person I have ever talked to that doesn't think there hasn't been a considerable growth in the interest of this sport. Summer of Soccer, 96 world Cup, 07 Open Cup TV ratings...where were you for these? Just because you have been going to Eurosnob/South/Central American bars in a city of 8 million plus since the 90s to watch soccer does not make you more of an expert then anyone else on these boards. Stop using the MLS as an indicator of America's interest in the sport either - the # of people who crowd your bars to watch those over-seas games should tell you why.

11. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Thought there were World Cups in '94 and '98. I think the World Cup of Hockey was in 1996...I guess you meant 2006. Typos can be forgiven.

"The MLS" doesn't exist. MLS does, but "the MLS" doesn't work with the English language. Plenty of people say "the MLS", I suppose I've chosen to pick on you because you were calling out someone else's soccer expertise. Sorry.

12. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Your routine of derisive comments followed by sheepish apologies is getting tiresome.

1. Where did I say that soccer is not growing? I just think you are exaggerating the speed of its growth a great deal.

2. So now you're saying that everyone who watches the english game is a eurosnob. Nice.

3. I don't know much about "rich white conservative" Long Island, but I do know that youth soccer has been popular for a long time out there, and Long Island has produced some great players. Are you sure that you not hearing people calling it "gay" doesn't have more to do with your friends learning to not be nimrods than the growth of soccer? I will stop using MLS as an indicator when you give me a better indicator to use than your friends and their prejudiced, homophobic comments.

4. I don't know what you're talking about when you say the "96 world cup" and "07 open cup tv ratings". But I can tell you this, for a generation now we've been hearing that soccer is the next big thing in this country and that huge success is just around the corner. I don't think I'm an expert, I just think I've been around for a while and I'm skeptical when I hear that.

I think soccer is growing. I don't think it's "exploding". It was supposed to explode after the '94 world cup. It was supposed to explode after our quarter final run in the world cup in 2002. We've been waiting for 25 years for the soccer kids to grow up and become soccer fans.

And this summer wasn't the first summer of big attendance numbers for soccer games. Who remembers the PArmalat Cup in 95? Benfica, PArma, Boca Jr.s and US nats drew really large crowds. in 1995.

The point is not that soccer isn't growing, it is. But I am reacting to the ideas, bad ideas in my estimation, that somehow MLS and US soccer generally is failing to capitalize on the explosion of growth by not spending enough money on super stars.

As a business model, MLS has done pretty well. They've premised their model on slow steady progress, which they have more or less achieved. I'm a soccer fan in the U.S. for the long haul, and I would rather have a sustainable 12th best league in the world than an unsustainable league of "Galacticos". I want soccer to be sport in this country, not spectacle.

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Dude, you don't want to compare what you did for the borough boys, and what I did, do you?

And the "all star game" as we discussed, was confidential. I don't discuss anything you asked to be kept confidential. I'm so glad I don't have to see you anymore. You're really bad news.

14. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wasn't comparing but you always do and never want to be wrong.

I've always kept my side of the bargain, even when I didn't have to and even when I should have opened my mouth. Unfortunately, I trusted you and respected you way more than I really should have.

No believe me that the benefits ARE ALL MINE, on this one. And I'm actually quite happy to know that you were the one that orchestrated the whole affair.

Cheers:D

15. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I would apologize in the past because I was being watched by certain people and really did not belong on these boards saying what I was saying. I don't say anything I regret any longer.

I meant 06 WC.

No I did not say everyone who watches the "English game" is a Eurosnob, but I would put money on it that quite a few of them are.

Don't act like a wise ass when you say "I don't know much about rich conservative white Long Island." It was you who was spearheading the charge a few months back that I was some rich spoiled white boy from the island :rolleyes:

Even gay people use the word gay colloquially. Take a step back and step out of your PC bullsh!t world for just one minute and refrain from calling people I know prejudiced and homophobic. Live a little. But to respond to the rest of that statement: YES, I do believe that when my acquaintances stop calling it names and start watching it and talking about it at social events, I feel that it shows tremendous growth and respect.

You say the sport did not explode after the 94 WC then reference a soccer tournament that was very successful in terms of large attendance numbers which took place in 1995.

I can play this stupid effing game all day Metro. Your not the only wise ass on these message boards.

16. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guys - this is getting 1) Off topic 2) a bit to personal and 3) a bit to dangerous on the content!

just thowing that out there! IM not a MOD - im not trying to be a MOD - just tyring to prevent ugly before it happens!

17. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
  18. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oofah...so ill lighten the mood with a joke.. what do you call a japanese/jewish restaurant? SOSUMI! :p i love that joke..but on to the topic.. any new news about this team? :D

19. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    1. you were comparing, quit running away from everything you say.

2. If you're side of the bargain was to talk big and do sh!t, then yes, you did keep your side of the bargain.:D

3. No one orchestrated anything, I'm just relieved that I don't see you at any more borough boys events, even though you're so "Borough till i die". Whatever.

20. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You're confusing issues here. We're talking, are we not, about american leagues? So when we talk about growth, we're talking about the growth of american soccer. We're not talking about the growth of popularity of the game in other countries.

Which is the point. The popularity of the premiership, the world cup and other such events have not translated into explosive growth of the domestic game, including the US NAts. Isn't that what we are talking about?

And believe me, most homosexuals don't like it when presumably heterosexual teenagers refer to a sport as being "gay" and therefore not worthy of their interest. You should refrain from using that kind of language on a public message board.

21. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Running away??? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA When I stood next to you last time we were together, you DIDNT OPEN YOUR MOUTH. I was available to talk, you chose not to. So please don't bring up the running away comment, its complete and UTTER BULLSHIT on your part.

So now we are getting to the crux of the situation, apparently I was supposed to do something and I failed you? Do you really want to air this laundry out in public?

BULLSHIT, it was ALL YOUR DOING. And with regards to "BORO TIL U DIE", just a couple of months ago you were talking about jumping ship because Metro was coming back. So please, keep your bullshit about "Boro til I die" to yourself.

22. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Dude, you said you would show up at the next borough event to see if I would say these things to your face, and you haven't appeared since. I would love to... actually not anymore, you're not even worth the aggravation.

Yes you were supposed to do something, frankly anything, and you did zip.

And yes, you're right, I am the puppet master and everyone else is my puppet. As flattering as that is, I can't say it's true.

I have worked my ass off for Borough Boys and produced a few results. I want a team in NYC more than anything and everyone I know who has been involved with us I consider a friend and a brother in arms, so to speak, except you of course. But still, I have never said "borough till I die" and never advertised myself that way. In fact, you used "borough till I die" as a way to demand everyone's loyalty to you when you didn't deserve it, but didn't do a god dam thing to back it up yourself.

Anyone can say "___ till I die." Acting on it is another matter.

23. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't flip it. Don't even begin to try and flip it. I stood next to you and you sheepishly said "hello". I thought that you would at least have the courage to say something but you didnt. You didnt say shit.

As far as not wanting to anymore, again you backdown. I'm used to it, this is nothing new. Big talk on the computer, in front of me, nothing, not even to say "i still think you are wrong but ....."

So this is why you are mad? So answer me something, why didn't you call the people who's number I gave you? Seriously, why didn't you call?

Please, I see right thru this BS. Save this line for someone else.

Yes, you have. I've always said so. Don't understand why you need to repeat it all the time?

Believe me that I thank god everyday that you are NOT my family.

Of course not, you were thinking about jumping ship earlier this year, with a rumor about a RB rebrand.

I didn't demand loyalty of anyone. If anything.... do you really want to continue airing this laundry publically? We can continue if you wish?!?!

24. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    We are talking about the growth of the popularity of the sport in this country, not the MLS.

I will say whatever I want on these boards. I was quoting what people say. You are assuming too much..and this is getting too personal.

I feel cowardly argueing and fighting personal issues like this with an old man like yourself. You shouldn't waste your time being so damn aggressive with little kids.

Lets get back to soccer.

25. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chris, Metrogo, if we TRULY want a team in NYC must be absolutely UNITED.
    Unfortunately in the last times there aren't more news about NYC in MLS or Wilpon and this situation makes all us nervous.........