Stay Tuned to FC New York

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by R0bbyB0ggio87, Aug 17, 2009.

1. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are we comparing anything to that of the Rowdies - this is a different team. Lets not worry what the Rowdies are doing and if there site has content or not! Let them be!

Yes - we have heard that USL is notorious for not announcing plans until late - so I guess we will have to wait and see but Marquis - so you know - we would be fine with that if...as stated many of times....we werent promised other.

I was personally told at the LI coming out party that "I would be very happy in the next two months" when talking about a European Partner - taht was supposed to be announced a month or two after the April 1st Events.

Then we were told that over the summer "expect to see players walking around Grand Central to promote the club, or something like that" - yea we were told that.

We were told - face to face - all of this would be sorted out by now.

Personally - I dont care - I want to see who their coach is, I want to see players - I want to see FC turn into a good squad and get into queens, but as a fan, i can see the frustration of all tie lies!

Regardless - can we please move on and get over all of this shit - I come on the boards hoping to actually see news on the club - instead its back and forth.

Cmon FC - git to Queens!

2. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially if you want to become the team of, the marketing/press capital of the world.

USL1 teams never cease to amaze me at their bush league abilities.
    [Disclaimer: we in Rochester were thrilled with the 14 year old's modification of clip art that became our logo for a year...or is it still?]

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    yeah, I mean it doesn't matter if you are a freaking bodega or a multi-national corporation. It's about best practices. If you announce the team, and have a ridiculous web site, and the ten people who see the article in the Daily news excitedly look for more info see the web site and they are lost as potential fans, that's a failure, and an unnecessary one.

I mean look, I'm a founding partner of a 5 member law firm. We are not exactly big shots. Still, when we have done press, which we have done successfully, we have made sure that our web site is a positive reflection of the image we are trying to promote of ourselves with the ultimate goal of getting the type of clients we want. So that when one of our names is in the newspaper or on television, an interested person sees a quality web site. It doesn't cost a lot of money, and takes just a little time.

This is just basic. If USL club owners want to be seen by the public as something above bush league, the first thing they can do is to present themselves otherwise. FC New York, and I suppose some other teams, do themselves, their league, and their investment a great disservice when they present themselves in a completely bush league manner.

4. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange Member

North Carolina FC
    Apr 7, 2008
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, there is a brief interview with Doug Peterson(?) of FC New York during halftime of the RailHawk/Miami game on 8/26. Probably no new information to folks following the team, but it sounds like he's been making the rounds, seeing USL matches, and talking to other owners.

Go to the usllive.com archives, the interview is just after the 1 hr, 7min mark of the feed.

5. longislandsoccer

longislandsoccer New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    There is one of him in Rochester but it seems to be blacked out (8/6 vs Carolina)....and there is also another interview from Montreal a week later against the Timber. So yes he has been making the rounds and continues too make them as far as I know. And as NYC_Cosmos is saying, there is probably going to be a lot of news released come the fall.

If you got a kid or a friend ages 14-18, FC is holding an event at Mitchel Field from 3-6 on Sept. 2nd and 3rd with the US Army (a sponsor). Its going to be like a conditioning Boot Camp. If you wanna talk with Doug or some of the staff, or break a sweat, I am sure that is the best place to go.

6. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfs1DnSdaJY"]YouTube - Doug Petersen Interview at Rochester[/ame]

Rochester interview

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice post - thanks for that

Good to see he is in Rochester - lets not forget - that the Rhinos went through some of the same issues FC might face in building a stadium..and from my experience on april 1st - i know they were gunna look to them for assistance - so happy to see hes up there hopefully picking the brains and getting ideas because that is a really nice facility!

However, he has to stop the RB digs - totally different league! To me - its Petty

8. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool! Thanks for the post. Even though the channel was posted earlier, I completely forgot FCNY does YouTube.

I personally liked the aspect of "NY's team" with Rochester. Yeah it's a little petty, but what are you gonna do when you're competing against a team in a higher league with the premier venue in the country.

I hope to see more interviews and more news!

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Good job for petersen. I don't know how many new york city people are "vacationing" in the Rochester area, but besides that, it was a good PR opportunity well done.

10. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    This is the video I should have posted for you Metro

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQqiuynMwCQ"]YouTube - Arnold Schwarzenegger is the Party Pooper[/ame]

11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I appreciate you indulging trash like me with some humor. Thanks.

12. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Us rich spoiled white kids from Nassau can get clever at times; right buddy?

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I said it was humorous, not clever. Now you're giving yourself too much credit.

14. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey at least you loosened up a bit ..now if you spoiled rich whiteboys from the North Shore can find our way into the big bad city. Maybe you'll see what we're talking about.

Look at Seattle and Toronto in the MLS. They're doing GREAT. Why ???
    One their stadiums are located IN THE CITY . Not in the burbs. Right downtown . Two they cater to real soccer/footie fans. Not soccer Moms. Thats the model FCNY should be looking at

15. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    off topic but props to seattle for winning the open cup. great job by mls to pick up seattle as a franchise

16. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Frankie - both sets of those supporters are Euro style supporters - :eek: focusing on those supporters wont do us any good!!! :D

Props is right - my boy said it last night - respect to DC but Seattle is turning into the model MLS franchise

17. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    well just to clear the record, I am probably worth less then any of you guys... so I am not rich, although there are quite a few rich people on the North Shore of Long Island. I am white though - well I'm Italian...as I think several of you guys are...lastly, I personally want a stadium in the city, and a team that caters to the football fan aged 18-40. BUT, that is simply my personal opinion - not taking into consideration all teh red tape and money involved in doing something like that.

Lets talk about the soccer mom crowd...shall we...
    They don't sing, they don't stand. They don't come to games when it is raining out. Yet sadly, they make up the majority of ticket/season ticket holders in the USL and probably MLS (with the exception of Toronto and Seattle)
    You might go, " Ah Montreal is awesome, packed house every night!" Well no, Saputo stadium is empty when it rains, because the tickets are mostly sold to youth teams/academies and their soccer mothers/fathers.

Soccer in general is poorly marketed in this country, with the USL being the pits in this regard. I am not sure about Toronto, but in Philly and Seattle, supporter's groups seem to be heavilly supported by the teams themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if the aggressive bar hopping - "let's tell the world about the Sounders!" - campaign Sounder's fans ran before the start of this season was orchestrated by the team itself.

I know there is a population in the City that only wants to support a team if it truelly plays within the 5 Borroughs, but I am willing to say that, although large, the soccer fan base in the Metro area is huge but also very soccer savy and thus will only support a team in the 20,000-80,000 capacity week-in and week-out if they had a super star.

I believe that after next year, (especially if there is a sale, and the name changes) the NY Red Bulls will draw in crowds just as large as a MLS2NYC team would within the 5 Borroughs. (that is to say NYRB don't sign a big name - my point)

Just a little theorycrafting, maybe you guys can show me how I am wrong.

18. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you hit a lot of good points which are fair

although i just will say

1) Im an American first and foremost - I have an Italian and Polish Background but im an American :D Proud of it - I dont have a Rossi Complex

2) We know the stadium will not be filled with singers and standers - we know you gotta do what you gotta do to help sell tickets - but thats why we offered to help bring in the singers and standers and let FC worry about the others - and we were ignored - as we have said over and over - not trying to beat a dead horse

My big question for FC is what is going to happen with the USL - I hope Dougie and Ms Treiber didnt buy into a league advertising they were in great shape only to have them sell before FC even kicks a ball. The USL is a mess - the sales is going ugly - teams looking to start their own league. Vancouver, Portland and Montreal (most likely) are all going to MLS - lets not try to sugarcoat this - things are ugly right now! What is going to even happen!

PS - Come to Queens, where the streets are paved of gold and im sure we will all be friends again haha!

TWO US GAMES COMING UP - MY OFFER STILL STANDS! YOU KNOW WHERE WE WILL BE!

19. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Trust me, I would love to come. If I ever get a minute man!

It looks pretty hectic with this USL vs TOA stuff doesn't it.

I read somewhere that both the TOA was thinking of a Aug-May schedule (has its pros and cons)

But I have also heard a rumor that the TOA and USL are considering bringing a penalty kick shoot-out and a 35 yard off sides line to "add excitement"

Lo and behold folks; the reason soccer can't seem to grow properly in the States, it is controlled by a bunch of idiots.

I'm no longer affiliated with FC New York ...I was there to see the office a couple of times, and that is about it....

You know, the USL and the MLS will never EVER merge. They simply cannot, not when one league has a franchise fee of $750,000 and the other a franchise fee of $40 million. With that in mind, there is nothing for the two leagues to do except compete with one another. This is not a good idea...the AFL basically collapsed as the NFL eventually gobbled up the "good teams" so too was the story similiar in the ABA with the NBA. It seems that MLS has already gobbled up the teams that were worthwhile (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Toronto [which had poor USL attendance] and Montreal) leaving secondary markets and New York....if FC New York is a success, then MLS might want to gobble that up too before USL totally collapses...thats why I stress supporting this team, and starting a grassroots movement in the city to foster support. This is the closest chance you guys got to an MLS2NYC team! This is planning for the long term. If FC New York is drawing 15,000 at Hofstra, the MLS will take notice, but first and foremost the revenue to build a SSS will become available. Everything will fall into place.

To snub this team because you felt snubbed is fair, but you guys should be selfish, you guys should try and make this big, for your own motives.

get out there and tell people about the team..start bar hopping. Make flags, go to PDL/Tournyments and spread the word. You guys are the grassroots movement.

20. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    I don't know how rich Doug Peterson and Mary-Jo Treiber (?) are, but if they had the money to buy into MLS I'm pretty sure they would have done so already. And no matter how successful FCNY may turn out to be, MLS will not "gobble" it up unless it has very deep-pocketed owners. FCNY would have to do what Seattle did; attract some big time rich investors to get Don Garber's attention. Drawing 15K at Hofstra, or even at a stadium in Queens, is not enough.

21. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im willing to state we got off on the wrong foot and personally I will be out at a bunch of games - but its gunna be tough to get season tickets while at Hofstra - which sucks for our movement!

As for MLS2NYC - while it seems like we are a long way off - things are not dead. We are involved in plenty of things right now, and things on the MLS2NYC front are not dead.

If FC New York has the goal of getting gobbled up by New York City, they will for sure want to take us seriously.

We are the grassroots movement trying to get New York a football team so the City can get Stuck In - and we will be doing that!

22. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Anyone interested in helping form a F.C. New York Supporters club please contact me at kickingit@ireland.com This wil be a fun group that wants to show support for F.C. New York in the USL and we are planning road trips to Rochester and Montreal. Thank you

23. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    :rolleyes:

24. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    But if you alienate this group, you're dead. The Silverbacks found out real quick what happens when you diss your biggest block of ticket buyers, and they never recovered. It was a slow burn, but it ultimately did them in. Better to have 8000 soccer moms, family types, and so-called "supporters," than just 50-75 of the latter. You want singing and standing? Go to a revival meeting. :D

Gotta reach 'em all, dude, not just one particular group.

25. longislandsoccer

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli