News: State of the NBA suggest grass is not so green on the other side

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fuzzx, Jan 20, 2013.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USOC brings MLS teams to minor league venues amigo.

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the Bulls' game against the Lakers on Monday. It was loads of fun. Way more fun than hauling out to Bridgeview to see the Fire play ugly college+ soccer in a half-empty stadium.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I as well love sitting, cuz the ahole behind me gets butthurt if I stand, all this in my seat 38 yards from the action while Jock Jams is played so us fans know when to cheer our team. Jeez.

4. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have three kids. I'm a pro at blocking out noise.

Nutmeg repped this.
  5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've raised 4.
    Live footy has kept me sane.

6. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    True, the revenue share isn't based on profitability directly, but if you pull the Forbes numbers again, while there are some exceptions, generally the big market teams have higher revenues and are profitable, while many small market teams with low revenues are not.

And it's pretty clear what they were trying to achieve here. Sports Business Journal indicates that "the new plan is rooted in a philosophy of including locally generated dollars from the big-market, high-revenue teams to be spread among the low-revenue teams."

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NBA-revenue.aspx

So, to me, it does look like a "prop up payment", as you call it.

Mechanically, you're correct that payroll does impact this. Sports Business Journal again:

"Sources said that the core of the plan calls for all teams to contribute an annually fixed percentage, roughly 50 percent, of their total annual revenue, minus certain expenses such as arena operating costs, into a revenue sharing pool.

Each team then receives an allocation equal to the league’s average team payroll for that season from the revenue pool. If a team’s contribution to the pool is less than the league’s average team payroll, then that team is a revenue recipient. Teams that contribute an amount that exceeds the average team salary fund the revenue given to receiving teams."

Yet that would seem to me to incentivize small market low revenue teams to keep payrolls low -- below league average if possible -- which would maximize their allocation. I'm not sure how that encourages them to spend money on better players to generate more revenue.

I suspect we'll see some teams drawing money year after year. If so, it will be interesting to see how teams funding this react.

7. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jumping in late here...

Early in the thread, there was a brief debate about whether the NBA should change the rules to make the game tougher for the gargantuan towers that play today's game. My immediate reaction is no, and for a reason that ties right back into soccer.

One of the aspects I love most about soccer is the consistent rules. Everyone in the world plays the game the exact same way. Doesn't matter what continent, club or country, it's the same rules. This consistency is a big part of what makes soccer a unified global institution.

Basketball doesn't have that. It's clear they want it. FIBA desperately wants to be FIFA, but doesn't have FIFA's leverage, in that the world just doesn't care about the basketball world championship the same way they do about the World Cup. So they enforce their rules where they can, while being unable to do so in the one country that truly counts the most: the US.

In the past, the NBA and FIBA didn't get along much, which is why we saw the trapizoidal lane during the Olympics while the NBA stuck with the rectangle. In recent years, FIBA has come around to the NBA's way of thinking. If you watched the games in London last year, or the Euroleague games they're running on the NBA Network, you'll see that the FIBA game is now so close to the NBA that the differences are pretty much nitpicking.

So, we have consistency, but only (AFAIK) because the two organizations are thinking along the same lines. I'd hate to see the NBA make radical changes to the game that would mess all that up. Furthermore, if the NBA did expand into another continent, that could be seen as threat to FIBA and would also be counterproductive.

I love how soccer truly is a world game, and as much as we hate them from time to time, we have FIFA's authority to thank for that. I would like to see basketball develop along the same route -- a truly world game, with persistent national teams, and international competitions for clubs. Right now, it's a silly fantasy, but I'd at least like to continue towards unification of the rules worldwide.

------RM

SYoshonis repped this.
  8. 1Coug1

1Coug1 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I would call allowing players to touch the ball after a missed shot off the rim while the ball is directly above the rim a major difference.

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    There's still a very big philosophical difference in how you play, too. Most international teams are still big on passing, movement without the ball and having lots of players who can shoot the 3 (though NBA teams have really caught on to that last bit). Now, maybe that would all change if Euro teams had insanely gifted one-on-one wings like NBA teams do. But as it is, the coaching philosophies are very different. The way Barca's team moves without the ball, I wonder if the soccer team has rubbed off on the basketball team.

Edit: but he's right on about the rules converging. In addition to the change of the size/shape of the free throw lane (I'm old, I still call it the "key"), FIBA moved their 3 pt line out (so it's closer to the NBA line) and they adopted the charge semi-circle.

10. bnjamin10

bnjamin10 Member

Charlotte FC
    Jun 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Zone Defense was illegal until 2001-2002 in the NBA. See Dallas championship.

Attendance blows in the NBA because because they went all in on "stars", so minus a couple teams (Laker/Celtic/Knicks/old school small markets like Port/SA) no one really cares about the front of the jersey. I find NBA level of play way more watchable then college as someone who grew up watching ACC B-ball. Star treatment isn't nearly as awful as team treatment in college b-ball. And its nice seeing 5 guys with a semblance of an offensive game over 1 or 2 if your lucky in college. Just my opinion.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  11. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilt Chamberlain, look him up. 32 60+ point games including a single game NBA record of 100 points.

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a seven footer in an era when the opposing center was 6'8" n 200 lbs.
    Obviously the sport has changed drastically since 1963.
    Nowadays it has changed again, iso for the best player while the other 4 watch and absolute crap movement off the ball or even more shitastic simple guard play fundamentals.

13. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry, NBA scoring per game has been at its highest level since the late 80s/early 90s over the last 4-5 years. Shooting percentages are in good shape, 6 of the top 20 FT shooting percentage years are post 2000, and 3pt shooting is much better than the 80s. The biggest difference is that there are fewer possessions per game (measured as pace at basketball reference) as teams play much better transition defense than they used to which forces more possessions that take more time off the clock. The pace has improved the last several years after a truly dreadful time from the mid 90s to the early/mid 2000s. Right now the NBA isn't what it was during the Bird/Magic/Jordan (early) years, and may never be again, but it's much healthier and higher quality than it was 10-15 years ago.

But, stick with the tired, bigoted nonsense, it's what you're good at.

sitruc and Totoro repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yep

sitruc and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? Nothing he said about the point totals was bigoted.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  16. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could not possibly agree more.

17. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You keep playing this card for posts that have nothing in them that are racist or bigoted. Do kindly refrain from that behavior going forward.

18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was in regard to Westside Cosmo who has been repeatedly supportive of racist behavior throughout this thread. It's perfectly relevant.

19. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We (and by we I mean everyone reading this thread) are aware of who you were targetting. The simple fact of that matter is that what you appear to be responding to is a post that questioned actual game mechanics and flow. You throw a cheap shot in at the end which was completely unneccesary. That is what I am asking you to refrain from. But you keep dragging it into the open.

I will acknowledge that the opening post from Westside may have been borderline. It is an opinion, and it could have been stated a little more nicely and less sensationally. I am in the demographics he targets with his post, 35+ white male who has tuned out the NBA. Not because of the Tattooed thugs he mentions (the borderline part of his post), but because my perception has been that the league as a whole has become more oriented towards star players, and less focused on team play. I loved the NBA right up until about 1998-99. I have not watched a game since then, I do however continue to watch Olympic and College basketball. Which is to say there is most likely some truth in his post even if the reasons are wrong.

20. fero

fero Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Argentina
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They are working to it

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/186641/fiba-overhauls-major-competitions

but NBA-Euroleague disagree
    http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/186695/euroleague-chief-hits-out-at-fiba-s-reform-plans

Part of what make national soccer team popular is they (mostly) play in homesoil 3 meaningfull games each year; in Bball qualification tournament to WC and SummerOlimpics in 1 host country is puting national basket away from fans.

sorry for the awful long comment.

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Was working out the other night at the gym and ESPNs top ten came on. Don't watch ESPN SCenter
    any more but the comments of the 4 high school kids there stuck with me.

Think seven of the top ten plays were dunks.

Not a comment on any of the dunks until the end.

"That sucked. A bunch of dunks...BFD"', said one.

They all agreed. Remember back in the day when dunks ruled?

22. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SYoshonis repped this.
  23. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about superfluous balls in logos, the placement of that basketball just looks awkward. We know you play basketball, you're an NBA team. (cc: NYRB)

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia