Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SoccerPrime, Dec 3, 2012.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Bumping because at a recent Star Trek convention this was voted the worst Star Trek movie ever. Yes they are Trekkies, but they are also onto something. This movie was empty calories. Previous Star Trek movies have at least tried to be something more.

Darkness made the 3rd Bourne movie seem ambitious.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I'd be really surprised if I watched Into Darkness again and noticed something that I missed the first time. On the other hand, quite a few of the episodes from all the series (let alone the better movies) have something that comes out on a second (or seventh in the best cases) viewing.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    #178 JohnR, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that they rated Into Darkness below Final Frontier, Nemesis and Insurrection speaks volumes how how bitter they are. Those three movies are FAR worse than Into Darkness.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes and no. Those movies suck. They were bad at what they tried to do. But I'd rather watch them tha
    n Darkness, because I don't care about what Darkness tried to do.

Damn. I'm a Trekkie. :(

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I don't care what they do either. I don't care about was it really ST did it go with the star trek banner. I guess I don't think of myself as some sort of blogger or super critic. I just go to enjoy the show. Not to compare it to other shows. I think? I've seen all the ST movies and watched the TV show since birth (no, not mine)

I just know I enjoyed this one as I did the others and pleased that my money was well spent. I enjoyed the performances of many of the actors.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ricardo Monetebahn could kick Sherlock Holmes's butt.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I will provide a longer write-up once I have given it more thought, but the screenplay displayed a tenuous grasp of Trek conventions at best. The entire pre-title sequence proves that Abrams and Lindelof don't even properly realize what exactly the Prime Directive entails. :ROFLMAO: That entire mission goes against it, not just the fact that their ship is seen by the pre-Warp civilisation.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's why Kirk was busted down to first officer and had the ship taken away from him.

As for the mission itself, there were episodes where Starfleet was on the ground observing a planet from a safe distance. Remember Insurrection, plenty of instances where the observers get caught.

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

"Snakes. Snakes for the Garden of Eden."

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Let me explain my problem with it.
    Whilst the operation in the volcano is going on, Spock's only objection is the possible detection of their shuttle (and later the Enterprise itself) by the indigenous people.
    Yet the entire operation itself is a violation of the prime directive. Even if the volcano threatened the survival of the local humanoids, they had no business interfering under the directive. If Spock is really so devoted to protocol, he would know this and object to the undertaking in its entirety, not just the possibility of detection.

So my issue is not with Kirk ignoring the directive (there are indeed plenty of examples of several of the captains who have bent or even broken this rule) but Spock's behavior suggesting that his understanding of the directive is flawed.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're issue is Spock's behavior, which went against the missions parameters. They were there on a mission, then they got sidetracked, and Spock might have had objections against Kirk changing the parameters, we don't know. Spock also would stick to protocol and Kirk might have given him a direct order, hence Spock's reaction to including what occurred in his report.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Rich Corinthian Leather?

-G

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My issue is the nature of Spock's objections, which were limited to the possibility of discovery and did not include their tampering with the active volcano, which was as much in violation of the directive as any possible sighting of their ship by the natives.
    Which means one of three things:
    1. We are to believe that Spock is okay with some violations of the P.D. but opposes others;
    2. We are to believe that Spock has only a tenuous grasp of what the directive entails;
    3. The screenwriters have an incomplete understanding of the directive.

I'm going for option three, since the first two would be total fails in terms of characterization (at least any characterization that aims to be true to the character).

But expanding my appraisal beyond the first scene, I would have to say that I preferred Abrams' first crack at Trek.
    Its attempt to pay homage to Khan actually does the character a disservice. The performance itself is fine, but I never felt that I was watching Khan. I wasn't too fond of their choice to mirror one of the best scenes in Wrath just as a gimmick. This movie drowns a bit in failed self-reference, whereas at least in the first movie, there were attempts to tell a new story.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not wanting to hop onto the Lindelof bashing bandwagon too enthusiastically, but it makes perfect sense to me that the same man responsible for Prometheus wrote this. It shares much of the "oh look how clever I am but just don't look too far underneath the hood" traits of the Alien prequel.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    #191 JohnR, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    Simon Pegg goes off -

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/simon-pegg-goes-rant-criticising-star-trek-haters/1997373/

Simon, old boy, you made a lot of money from the two Star Trek movies because they weren't Star Trek. If they were Star Trek, they would have sold less and you would be less wealthy.

So count your money and let the Trekkies complain in peace, OK?

Oh, and you are MUCH better than James Montgomery was. Actually, almost all the new actors are better than the originals.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I agree that the new cast is actually quite good (though I wouldn't go as far as saying they are better than the original cast).
    Which makes it a bit of a shame they don't try to make actual Trek with such a quality group of actors.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, it's a different kind of acting called for today. Pretty much every 60s TV show looks "unnatural" to us. I suspect in 40 years or so the acting that strikes us as natural (say, on the high quality cable series) will look a bit odd to people just like some of Shatner's mannerisms strike us as strange today (of course they struck a few people as strange when the Original Series was on the air... mainly because acting styles were in transition then)

I've said it before, but one of the things that I think the reboot does fairly well is link the characters to those of TOS. For instance, Scotty is frequently hungry and/or snacking. Given Doohan's appearance on the last movies... good call.

Ismitje and usscouse repped this.
  19. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Only things I didn't really like:
    • Stupid new Start Fleet hats ... too much like the huge Soviet Army hats (and yet Star Fleet seems to overwhelmingly speak English, so it would seem to be more natural if their hats evolved from US Navy hats). And if everyone else is wearing them at the end when Kirk is giving his speech, then why wasn't he? Sure he's got nice hair, but we just watched it for the whole movie - he should have been hatted too.
    • [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Kirk having to climb awkwardly to the place where he could realign the warp core - they don't build maintenance access ladders anymore?
    • Spock running after Khan - he just looked weird, as if the hair/makeup was going to fly off or something
    • the idea that a"superhuman" from 300 years ago would be able to assist in designing technically advanced weapons
    Things that didn't bother me - Duvel's Prime Directive complaints above. See the original series' "The Paradise Syndome" where the Enterprise, and Spock directly, attempt to divert an asteroid from colliding with, and destroying, a planet and it's pre-warp, never been contacted, civilization. Sound familiar? They never even mentioned the Prime Directive in that entire episode.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Duvel? :D

I can live with that I suppose. :p

Ismitje and Norsk Troll repped this.
  21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never got around to watching this movie in theaters but finally saw it recently. However, since it was quite a while since I saw the previous movie, I decided to have the full experience and read both movies' official prequel comic book trade paperbacks and then watch both movies (via DirecTV HD Video On Demand and DirecTV HD pay-per-view, respectively).

In order:

• Read Star Trek: Countdown
    • Read Star Trek: Nero
    • Watched Star Trek
    • Read Star Trek: Countdown to Darkness
    • Watched Star Trek Into Darkness

They were all pretty good and I'm glad that I did all that. :thumbsup:

Also, whoever said that Star Trek Into Darkness is the worst Star Trek movie ever is definitely smoking crack. While it's not the best Star Trek movie ever, it's nowhere near the worst (the only truly cringe-worthy ones being Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier).

-G

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think the issue is more in how far you can regard Abrams' take on the series as real Trek.
    He'll probably be a much better fit for Star Wars.