Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SoccerPrime, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Did you see the DVD extra where they have scenes from the un-released pilot featuring the actress that Kate Mulgrew replaced? I didn't think it would be possible for Genevieve Bujold to be so terrible. Ah: It's on youtube:

2. king alan

king alan Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    This star trek franchise more and more back to the past,

3. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Maybe if she let her french accent run free and her sole line had been "We surrender!" ...

What were they thinking? That was atrocious!

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I enjoyed it but all that getting beaten up leaves one tired and breathless. Then the reverse rolls of Spock and Kirk, it was Kirk's turn to die of radiation poisoning....But still it was fun.

Then I had a shitty morning and yours was the closest post for me to have a go at, at lunch. Just ignore me I'm not always an ass. In fact one day last year I was in a good mood.

Ismitje repped this.
  5. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Jeez, and I thought Kate Mulgrew sucked with that voice of hers. I'll still stay away from it.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yes I saw that.
    She barely wants to be there, based on that performance.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Still waiting for his apology for most of "Prometheus"...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2013/may/21/star-trek-into-darkness-writer-underwear-scene

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Zoe Saldana spend basically the whole movie prancing around in a mini skirt that's supposed to be a uniform? They could start there.

Don't get me wrong. Saldana's legs just about make me swallow my tongue every time I see them, especially since they match so well with the rest of her, but an outfit that makes an officer have to worry about not showing her deep space undergarments every time she sits down to translate a little Klingon strikes me as gratuitous.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well in fairness, the original Uhura uniform was possibly even shorter... :unsure:

10. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh absolutely. I used to watch star trek reruns after school (grade school) and her skirt made me crane my neck every time somebody started shooting photon torpedoes at the Enterprise and bounced the crew all over the bridge.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So they can justify that particular wardrobe choice as a nod/homage to the original series.
    Not sure how they can defend or justify the Alice Eve scene as it is described. Though in retrospect, Shatner's Kirk ran into a lot of scantily clad women himself...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they make a Zero G brassiere?

Edit: I mean, it seems to me that in some situations instead of a push-up bra they might need a push-down bra.

Edit again: or even a push-sideways bra.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That's what the artificial gravity and inertial dampers are for. ;)

bungadiri repped this.
  14. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lindelof is an interesting guy. He can be a very good writer at times, but he can also make some baffling decisions. Thing about him is, he's very open to criticism and engages those fans who hate him with something like empathy. He's very cognizant of his own faults. This interview on Grantland gives you some insight.

Belgian guy repped this.
  15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Thanks for that, will read it when I have a bit more time.
    As for his apology in this particular example, I refuse to believe he wasn't very much aware of what he was doing when he wrote that scene.
    So if he is really preoccupied by the perception of misogyny, why not leave the scene out altogether?

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did it really bother people? Seeing Alice Eve's perfectly chiseled body?

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I have not yet seen the movie.
    TBF, I think the apology bothers me more, just because of the hypocrisy it entails.

18. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing a beautiful woman's body doesn't bother me at all, per se. But the way it was presented just felt really cheap, obvious, and cynical. It was as though a 14-year old boy was brought in to do re-writes, and felt he had to insert a scene of a woman in her underwear.

bungadiri repped this.
  19. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Nor have I, but I suppose this is what they are referring to:

[​IMG]

My only concern is the choice of underwear - I would think that the selection of boy shorts and a racer back sports bra would be more appropriate to the rigors of space travel.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That would suppose that the matter of practicality came into consideration when conceiving this scene. ;)

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Pretty much. There is a similar scene in "Man on a Ledge" that is equally gratuitous. The problem isn't that they include a scene where a woman gets down to her underwear but that they go out of their way to include such a scene regardless of it fitting in or having any other value.

22. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Hey, another crew of Enterprise wore similar:

[​IMG]

Now "Enterprise" really threw in the occasional scene of gratuitous flesh - usually with T'Pol. And it's not like Seven-of-Nine's body suit wasn't entirely gratuitous.

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well as I said above, the scene itself doesn't bother me as much.
    It's Lindelof trying to weasel out of owning it that annoys me.

Seven's outfit is 100% gratuitous, it's so form-fitting that it might as well have been sprayed on!

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There was a "decontamination tank" scene in the pilot, which pretty much led to us giving up on the show from the start -- largely for the reason Fischer mentions (Too bad, because Enterprise got to be fairly watchable for several stretches).

25. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The American sensibility. It's somehow shameful to look upon a woman's scantily clad body. But it's Ok to see a body shot to hell or blown into raw meat.
    Oh well...:)

Alberto, Dante and chad repped this.