Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SoccerPrime, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Pine came out as being gay? When? I was just reading an article on him where he talks about playing a gay character.

2. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently he called up usscouse to tell him, because the Internet doesn't know.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I just learned that his dad is Robert Pine, the Sgt. on CHiPs

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    [​IMG]

5. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    "It is not logical that your mind is blown, since Star Trek is in our blood."

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Dante repped this.
  6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First I ever heard of this. Got a link?

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he was just on the cover of Out magazine, or whatever its name is. He was just on Ellen and my wife was watching it (honestly, I don't watch Ellen... no really).

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Pine is on the cover of Out and talks about doing gay movie roles, but I don't believe that he is gay.

9. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    He just broke up with a supermodel last month, and judging from this interview, it doesn't sound like Pine is changing teams.

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    [​IMG]
    I got it from an impecable source...My wife. She'll never admit to a mistake...but I would..Ooops! :)

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I looked up his ex. Man you ain't kidding. In my next life I'm coming back as a 32-year old Hollywood hunk.

12. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. They'd exhausted all source material for the original universe and if they reboot and shot the same stories fans would get upset about everything that wasn't exactly the same because it'd screw up the canon.

This is something I never considered. Star Trek to me was always Captain Jean-Luc Picard and crew due to my age, although I saw Star Trek VI around when it was released. What did Trekkies think of the movies as they came out. I know the odd vs. even number movie rule, but I've never known the opinions of Trek fans to movies as they came out as opposed to how people view them now.

My thoughts, I enjoyed the movie although it takes a lot to get me to hate a movie (e.g. Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Cobra Commander, damn you!)

-when I think Klingon I'm used to Worf, if they wanted to reimagine Klingons to look different I guess allright, but when the patrol leader took off his mask and that was what he looked like I was a bit let down, Worf looked like he had better makeup and this movie has a lot more money
    -thought the death scene at the end with Kirk and Spock just didn't look right, Kirk looked perfectly normal in spite of the fact that radiation was destroying his body
    -thought Khan did perfectly well for what screen time he was given, nailed cold and calculating, the "battle of logic" between him and Spock to get him the cryotubes was well done
    -my favorite humor was the Uhura and Spock dating problems :lol:

[​IMG]

Regarding "women in Star Trek always being window dressing", I think that's why Uhura has such a large role in the movies compared to the TV show because the movie people looked at it and realized "uh, we need female characters".

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Shocked and delighted to see Star Trek the Movie, even though it was bad. Nobody thought Star Trek would come back in any form. Absolutely delighted with Star Trek 2. Disappointed in Star Trek 3. Happy again with Star Trek 4. Thinking when Star Trek 5 rolled around that the retirement home was beckoning. Delighted to hear about this Next Generation thing.

14. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I've always wondered regarding The Motion Picture, considering Roddenberry's known views on religion, how did he let a movie get made that was an allegory of man's search for God?

I could see fans at the time hating Star Trek IV, did some feel that way?

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The original ST was preoccupied with deities ... it had Greek gods, various beings with godlike powers, computers that became godlike, Kirk was seen as a god in one episode, etc. It didn't have a Judeo-Christian God, but there were ongoing searches for God/gods.

Not so with the future series, they are just about completely secular in viewpoint.

There was a subset that found it too jokey and light, but for the most part people appreciated the Kirk/Spock dialogue and the easier touch. The ST movies took themselves soooo seriously, they really were ponderous at times.

16. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't Sisko a Bajoran prophet?

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Emmissary of the prophets

( wife and I are halfway through season four of DS9)

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Alright I spoke a bit hastily, I don't know DS9 very well. Was thinking of Next Gen and Voyager.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DS9 is only going to get better. It's my favorite series by far. I've watched the entire series three times now.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Check your com badge. Worf and Chakoty are trying to get through to explain the role of vision quests in Klingon and Inter-galactic Indian religions.

I like it quite a bit, too. Just got done last night with the episodes where the Dominion infiltrates earth. The upcomng war increasingly becomes the focus of the series, leading to a great final season. Interesting how Sisko puts down a Federation-based militarization of earth, and then as the war goes on, increasingly makes decisions that become nearly as ethicaly dubious than that of the Admiral he thwarted.

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gods in Star Trek have always turned out to be aliens - the Bajoran prophets were atemporal wormhole aliens, Q is a powerful alien and there are other Q out there, etc.

On the one hand I agree that this reboot is good for the franchise, but on the other I don't see why people think these movies are particularly good. They're fun and that's about it. All the "Star Trek" content in it is empty fan-service, it's like a Where's Waldo book where the "depth" is in pointing at things you recognize in the crowd.

That's sort of the issue with the women in this reboot too - women were window-dressing in the original Trek because it was TV in the 60s and (as pointed out above) execs would consider attempts to give them real roles unbelievable. So Abrams sort of gets it right - he reboots with the miniskirts and all the nostalgia and sexiness is there - but he definitely gets it wrong too as there is no depth and the women characters are just more "Where's Waldo" sorts of moments (oh Carol Marcus, a reference to ST2:TWoK! Yay do I get a prize? EDIT: Bad example cause it's been out there forever, but there are tons of "Easter Egg" type things).

Having said all that, there's a problem inherent in Star Trek and that's that it has always been more about the myth and the progressive dream than about the actual content. Because frankly a lot of it is just bad TV. But some ideas stood out, some episodes stood out and it became this legend. It's hard to blame a non-Trek fan like Abrams for doing a reboot that gets things right superficially and loses all the supposed depth.

Finally, since I never miss a chance to say it, DS9 was by far the best Trek. It's a precursor to most of today's serialized TV, it has real characters, not just window-dressing ones who we have to project real personalities onto (Riker, Troi, well tons of them really, but perhaps the best example is Tasha Yar!) But even it has some horribly campy (but not in a good way - Vic Fontaine, the Risa episode ... ), throwaway stuff that you have to ignore in order to speak of it in this way.

TLDR: The new stuff is fun, superficial Trek but Trek's depth was always greater in the fans' imagination than in the actual show, with the exception of DS9 which roolz.

22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I passed after a couple of DS 9 episodes, It just didn't cut it in my opinion.
    Voyager...well I just couldn't get past the Janeaway? character and that ugly voice.

I've watched everything else ST have tossed at us though...Oh, except anything that involved the thing that is "Q" Those episodes bored the crap out of me. It did save on laxatives though.

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Well that probably the only thing you didn't say but then I got tired of your rant.

So, what did you think of the show the thread is all about?

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I've been re-watching Voyager.
    One thing that struck me about Janeway upon this renewed viewing: those times she and Chakotay have a disagreement about a command decision, Chako is almost always in the right, beit a matter of tactics, morality or even protocol.
    Janeway is a great captain but her fatal flaw is her stubbornness and proneness to hold a grudge.
    Of course, there are times when this stubbornness has been to the benefit of the crew (like when she decided to keep Seven on Voyager even though all her senior officers and her second in command were opposed to the idea).

25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's just a fun movie. I don't think it's particularly good and to me the Star Trek part is pretty much window dressing. It's not bad, it's just... missing a lot I guess.