Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by SoccerPrime, Dec 3, 2012.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The reboot was the best thing to ever happen to Star Trek.

JeremyEritrea and TheSlipperyOne repped this.
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is it Khan or Gary Mitchell?

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    This thread rather proves the point that Abrams made a Trek movie for non-Trek fans.
    The people who have expressed love for the reboot are (largely) the same group who expresses disdain or dislike for the TV series and the original movie franchise.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not buying it. It's seems to be only a few that don't like the movie and are Trek enthusiasts. I consider myself to be quite the Trek enthusiast and I enjoyed Abrams reboot. Perhaps it's because I've never had a blind loyalty to Roddenberry's vision.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not sure, either. My wife and I have the complete run of every series (except Enterprise) and all of the movies on DVD (plus, we've recently watched seasons 2-4 of that Enterprise). We thought the reboot was pretty decent and with some qualifications (most of which Demosthenes earlier summarized), we're looking forward to the next one. Now, that trailer isn't promising, and the painfully unidiomatic "detonation" of the fleet suggests that the wheels, which while I'm not ready to predict that they're going to fall off, might be pretty loose. But we'll give Abrams a chance to overcome earlier shortcomings.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say except for the destruction of Vulcan, I really enjoyed Abrams Star Trek. I also thought the actors were spot on for the roles with Pine, Quinto and the guy who played Mr. Scott.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That covers my position.

Plus it's a pretty good (if not perfect) rule that the Star Trek franchise alternates strong releases with weak.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw the extended Trek trailer before Hobbit. It was awesome. I can't wait for this film now.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now? As in, before you were on the fence? ;)

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pseudo Batman ripoff promo poster made me skeptical. But that trailer was awesome.

12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Since I never cared for the original ST, I was never going to like the reboot. In fact, I hated it, for much the same reasons that spejic enumerated. I'm not going to pay money to see this one either... However, you are right in the casting of Pine, Quinto and Simon Pegg, Abrams and crew nailed it.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Was it JK Rowling who once did something similar for a dying kid?

14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pixar did it for a 10 year old girl with vascular cancer who wanted to see Up, they flew an employee with a copy of the movie to her house for a private viewing. The employee brought a bag of stuffed animals of characters and a movie poster along as well.

The girl died 7 hours after the movie ended.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Star Trek reboot is two parts good Star Trek (that is, like old Star Trek but without the preachy sentimental SMH material) and one part Starship Troopers.

I'm not sure if the overall result is better. Probably not.

18. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    So if JJ Abrams, a Star Wars fan, goes and ruined the Star Trek series, does that mean we (Star Wars fan) actually won?

19. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's not true. I watched Star Trek from the beginning, when it was broadcast on prime time on NBC. I wrote letters along with several of my grade school classmates to NBC begging them not to cancel the series. They brought it back.
    I watched Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise.

I saw all of the films in theaters too. A big F U to Robert Wise for making Star Trek the Motion Picture. It was terrible. He completely missed the intent of the series.

I have no issues with the reboot and I thought they did a great job of capturing the essence of the original characters.

20. old timer45

old timer45 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Just watched the newest trailer, all I can say is, bring it on! I do have to say though, maybe they showed to much in the trailer, IDK, maybe it's just me.

21. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Since it's turned into an informal survey, I too have always been a ST fan, back to the original series, then the cartoon series, and all series afterwards. I built Star Trek models (Enterprise, the bridge, Klingon and Romulan ships, K7 Space Station, the Galileo 7, phaser, tricorder and communicator, Spock shooting a three-headed snake). I thought Persis Khambata was one hot bald chick (though I thought the movie was boring). Heck, I think I VCR'ed all episodes of ST:TNG and later series (not that I ever watch them, but I think they are still in a box in the basement) [remember VCR's?]. I've had a discussion with Patrick Stewart about my favorite ST:TNG episode, which happened to be his as well. I've studied and written about a few original series episodes in a Human Rights class in Law School.

I liked the reboot in general, though I too had some issues with certain things.

sitruc, Belgian guy and Dante repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well? Come on now.

Watching Patrick Stewart now, as Sejanus in I Claudius. Stewart didn't change much in becoming Jean-Luc Picard, just wiped the smirk off his face and injected Picard with a bit of human crankiness (Sejanus is loathingly calculating and smooth).

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And you're not telling us which one because...?

Unless you're afraid of provoking epic bouts of nerd rage, which is understandable.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My vote is for Yesterday's Enterprise.