STANFORD UNIVERSITY - 2014

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by eefallen, Jan 24, 2014.

1. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
  2. wowow

wowow Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Two super interesting matches and a kinda-interesting one. I wonder how the coaches will patch things up before the arrival of what is supposed to be a good class. I hope undertapped talent (Maya!) gets a shot and a strong foundation for fall is cemented early on.

3. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
  4. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Extremely sad to hear Jay Cooney is leaving Stanford to take a position as GK Coach for Sky Blue FC. Jay is a great Coach, Motivator, excellent recruiter and an all around really nice guy. I wish him nothing but the best. He will be missed at Stanford. #allclass

Metline repped this.
  5. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good hire for Stanford. Hideki will do a great job there to follow Jay Cooney. Must be a happy day for him, could not have been an easy gig at Oregon with an underqualified female coach and now gets to coach at one of the top 5 programs in the country.

6. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Stanford topped San Francisco 3-2 in the first spring scrimmage game for Stanford. Nice weather (58-65 degrees during the match). They played 3x30 minute periods. My recollection is that Ryan Walker-H scored all 3. As the team is returning many players that played a lot of minutes last year, there's not much difference from what we saw last fall. My recollection is that only 14 field players were available today.

7. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Stanford played three 30 minute periods and defeated Nevada 1-0. I am pretty sure it was Walker-Hartshorn who got the goal. The other ten players were LaBonita, Romine, Schmidt, Ubogagu, Uhl, Liedle, Bauer, Campbell, Cox and Turner. Those 11 player played the entire game. There were 4 on the bench but they did not look like they were suited-up. It was not a fun game to watch.

8. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    I agree with that. After Rosen got hurt with about 25 to go in 3d period, Stanford just played 10 v 11. If Nevada had not missed the PK in the 3d period, it probably would've been a bit more interesting. Lots of number switching. I thought this was the line-up:

Ryan-Taylor-Chi
    Turner
    Lo-Rosen
    Cox-Schmidt-Romine-Donahue
    Cox

Hopefully, after they get the U20 campers back, they'll play better vs. Santa Clara on Tuesday.

9. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Now why did they switch jersey numbers? Was it to confuse
    the Nevada team or spectators like me?[/

10. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Santa Clara has just announced that the 4/22 Tuesday game with Stanford has been postponed. My guess is that since Stanford played the last 20 minutes of Saturdays game with 10 players they can not put together 11 healthy players for the game with SCU.

11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    It happens in the spring. Several years ago UNC had to play keeper Anna Seiloff at halfback for couple of games.

12. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Stanford 2, Cal 1 in a game played as part of a charity event in San Ramon on a windy and cool evening. Cal got the first goal on an excellent through-ball to Cal's star forward who finished beautifully, Chi tied it on a set play from a DFK. 1-1 at half. Uhl got the winning goal about mid-way through the 2d half when a Cal defender (who was under pressure) made a bad pass right to her 10 yards in front of goal and she finished it nicely. Overall, Cal looked like the better team for about the first 70% of the game, but Stanford looked better at the end when they started playing over-the-top direct. Fairly wide-open game, not too chippy but there were 2 yellows shown. It was fairly consistent with the fall and spring games, which is to say it lacked excitement. 14 players got minutes for Stanford.

13. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agree with the post above. I thought Cal controlled the play quite a bit of the game and could have had another at the end of the first half if not for a great extension save from Campbell on a crossing ball. Great atmosphere, probably 2500 fans and a great cause.

14. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Cal dominated? Really?? Their goal was a simple counter attack from a turnover by Stanford MF's. The wind dictated how the game was played, and both teams had their chances but Stanford had to connect twice the amount of passes than Cal did. Apparently I wasn't watching the same game

15. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Two people can describe the same game differently and both can be right. That's why different points of view are always welcome. For example, if one characterizes the game in terms of quality chances created, then the reader will get a different sense of the game that they would get from a poster who characterizes the game by the positioning of the back line. Rarely is anybody going to post a detailed account of a spring scrimmage, so summary comments will likely be less clear than the summaries we'll see in the fall games.

16. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    The Stanford/Santa Clara spring game, originally scheduled for April 22 but postponed, will now be played Fri., May 2 at 6 p.m. at Buck Shaw Stadium. Santa Clara has topped Stanford in each of the last three spring seasons.

17. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Who said anything about "dominated"? Lighten up...yes it was windy and both teams had to deal with it Simply stated, Cal had the better of the run of play...its spring, they play a lot of inexperienced players and it was fun to watch.

18. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Stanford 1 -- Santa Clara 0.

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Former Card - Ali Riley in Pet Sanctuary:

20. MDMonarch

MDMonarch Member

Jan 31, 2008
    I thought Samantha Bruder was going to Stanford but she went elsewhere, shame she is really good. 2016 recruit

21. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    I think she is going to USC.

22. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I understand the team was there to see press score her beautiful goal against Switzerland. Welcome to nc ...may the best team win...always a good game.

RPVCard repped this.
  24. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Congratulations to the Stanford team and their fans! Tonight's game was great fun to watch and well played by both sides. Lots of full field pressure and pace from Stanford for 90+ minutes. At the end of the day, I think the Stanford squad just had a bit more gas left in the tank, and created several great scoring chances in the overtime. Not often a team can claim to have worn down UNC, but I think that was a component in our loss tonight.

There were a few awkward patches on both sides, but that is to be expected at this point in the season. Congratulations to Stanford on a great early season game win , and on your first victory over UNC! Hope you don't plan to make a habit of it!

RPVCard repped this.
  25. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Very enjoyable game to watch. Hope the player who stayed down for a while near your defensive end line is ok. Very nice win and I thought the Tar Heels played quite well.

RPVCard repped this.