Stanford University 2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cachundo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. cardinalfan

cardinalfan Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Um- sorry to get you all riled up. I really just wanted some opinions from folks who have seen both of the teams play lately- i have not this year, other than an early stanford game. sounds like you have, so your input is appreciated , if your tone is not. I do not see any comments about opponents in this post- Santa Clara is always a good opponent. My BYU comment in the other post was more tongue in cheek-(meant to be funnny)you have to admit they are not normally a team expected to be there. but I was not trying to dis a team I have not seen play.
    as for being smug, when so many wins this year are one goal affairs, it is clear that a game could easily be lost to many different teams. certainly not over confident, just optimistic.
    by the way- welcome to the PAC-12!

2. paltrysum

paltrysum Member

May 19, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game could go either way. Stanford should win it but Santa Clara has what it takes to unseat them regardless of the outcome earlier this year. I don't take the Stanford-Colorado game to be too much of an indicator of present success or failure. Colorado played a great game that day, countering nicely and executing very well on corner kicks (one of which they scored on).

The main thing is Stanford's identity this year. Stanford's four straight final four teams were very invested in the possession game. I don't think there has been a better possession-style team than Stanford over the past four years. This year's team is a little different. They can play a little keepaway but this team's real identity is that of a "power" team similar to some of the east coast teams. They overbear their opponents with size and strength and have been very good at executing set plays.

However, that "power" identity is not always as effective at scoring goals. So Stanford sometimes gets locked into knock-down, drag-out, "fisticuff" games where they establish control of the game but aren't able to produce a lot of quality chances.

Only teams who can match Stanford's physical strength can compete against this team for 90 minutes. Any physical team that can defend set plays and minimize its mistakes has a shot against Stanford. Santa Clara can definitely play the physical game. It's just a matter of whether they can create quality chances for themselves and keep the Stanford set plays to a minimum.

goaleemama repped this.
  3. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A big fat OOPS !! I done did a misinterpret. I apologize. I thought the "are you concerned" comment was a dig at SCU, I thought wrong. I hereby eat my "smug" comment, pass the ketchup.

You've seen pictures of Snoopy thumping his foot when he's overjoyed? That was me when I heard that CU was moving to the Pac-now12. I grew up following Stanford sports (parents let me decorate the 1951 Cadillac when we drove from Salinas to the Big Games, I still have pictures, wish I had the car). The old fat guy in the Colorado Soccer hoodie at the Stanford-CU game next year will be me, stop by for an in-person apology.

cpthomas repped this.
  4. RPVCard

RPVCard Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Any time you play a team more than once, it's that much more difficult to win. They would have learned what to do better from that game, they know each other better now, they know Stanford better now. It was the 1st game of the season for both teams, & both were missing starters from the U20 tournament. The 6-1 score is really flattering; we played crap in H1 & they could have scored more had they been quicker to pounce on a GK mistake. We came alive in H2, our goals came in a flurry, after 4 goals their body language suggested that they have conceded the outcome.

Tonight's game will probably be played on a slick field which would level the playing field somewhat. The weather conditions might increase the probability of mistakes, and they can be costly at the end. I expect the opponent to defend deep & not let Stanford get behind them & concede CKs &/or fouls which will lead to dangerous dead-ball situations.

It wasn't so long ago that Santa Clara kicked Stanford's butt every time in the Tournament. It was painful to see seasons end at Santa Clara from '03-'05, not to mention losing most of the annual regular-season match-ups. Then their cycle bottomed out and ours ascended. I thought our cycle would end this year but maybe it could hold off for another year.

For the last 5 years, Stanford have been ranked at or near the top, but to be regarded this highly at this time of the year with THIS edition is really amazing.

This edition is playing just 5 starters from last year's championship team. And there should be 5 new starters tonight that didn't even start against Santa Clara in August.

This edition is a shell of the high-octane editions we've had in the past. We're not really burying teams with a ton of goals but methodically win nonetheless. Because we're light up front and not scoring a lot of goals, we had to find other ways to win. That will to win, and registering victories coming from behind - against Santa Clara, at Penn St, at Colorado, at UCLA - is what differentiates this edition from the 4 earlier editions that made the College Cup.

Hopefully, this edition plays well tonight and get results from here on out.

from the Daily: http://www.stanforddaily.com/2012/1...s-for-second-round-match-against-santa-clara/

from paloaltoonline.com: Stanford, SCU women renew their NCAA soccer rivalry

6. cardinalfan

cardinalfan Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Denver!! my mind contains an awful memory of losing quite unexpectedly to this crew in Boulder a few years ago. we were newly ranked number one at the time as I recall. too bad none of the women on this years' team were there and could gain revenge. It appears that perhaps Courtney is developing some of her old ball striking skills again- which is really needed now. GO CARD!

7. RPVCard

RPVCard Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stanford steams past Santa Clara, Denver, with UCLA the last roadblock to College Cup http://buff.ly/WrRMko

8. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    from espn.com: Previewing the NCAA soccer quarterfinals

9. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. cardinalfan

cardinalfan Member

Nov 21, 2009
    wow- those are fightin' words! would love to be there (peering around the tree) for this grudge match.
    come on rachel, courtney, alina, mariah, and the rest of the seniors! go out winners!!

11. Kylie Z.

Kylie Z. New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    For Stanford Fans thinking about going to the Final Four this weekend....

We booked two rooms on our time share and will not need one of them. The room runs from Friday Nov. 30 - Dec. 7 . It is at the Four Seasons in Carlsbad, CA, just north of San Diego. We are asking $700 obo for the week. It has a queen and sleeper sofa so you can have up to 4 people. This is a very nice resort and would be a great place to stay. please email with any questions or if you are interested. lzwieg22@yahoo.com

12. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    from the Daily Bruin: UCLA women’s soccer ends NCAA run after falling short to Stanford

from The Stanford Daily: http://www.stanforddaily.com/2012/11/23/w-soccer-stanford-advances-to-college-cup-over-ucla/

Post-game interview

from the Daily Tar Heel: Dunn sends UNC women's soccer to College Cup

I would have to agree that Stanford are not accustomed to playing against UNC's high-pressure style of play. After watching the BYU-UNC game, I think that if Stanford are unable to solve UNC's style, it will be a long day. This edition is not an exceptional ball-handling team, so if they are unable to impose their own style of play, they'll be chasing UNC shadows and mirror the over-the-top run-and-gun style. Personally, I'm not a fan of UNC's style of play, but their multiple championships speak vor themselves. Stanford have NEVER won against UNC, precisely because they are unable to solve high-pressure.

Solving high-presssure is just like tackling a problem set girls. And you have until Friday to solve it.

Should be an interesting game, if not just for the contrasting styles of play.

13. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Personally, I think Stanford will be fine. BYU was a terrible matchup for UNC because BYU cannot string more than 3 passes together. They can't play simple or release pressure with a backwards pass or a one on one move to create space and a pass. They can't do it against bad teams, let alone athletic teams. Stanford, while not technical marvels, can play simple, release pressure and keep the ball for more than a moment. It will be tough for sure but they have the weapons to be successful against 3 in the back when and if they can do it.

14. paltrysum

paltrysum Member

May 19, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to disagree with you there. I have watched BYU play a few times this year (thanks to increased TV coverage of women's collegiate soccer) and they can move the ball pretty well. It could be the competition they faced. As you know, UNC runs a high-pressure attack and it probably through them off their game. I watched BYU against Oregon and Marquette and in both games they exhibited a sophisticated passing game.

As for how UNC's high-pressure attack will work against Stanford, it's hard to tell. Thinking back to the games I've watched this season, Boston College was most successful at sustaining high pressure on Stanford and the result was a 1-1 tie. I think UNC has a very good chance to win this game. UNC has so many talented offensive players that it will be tough to stop them. Having four players with 7 goals shows a diverse attack. Should be a great game!

15. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    from ussoccer.com: 2012 Young Female Athlete of the Year Finalists

=====

[​IMG]

from sfexaminer.com: Nina Watkins makes the most of her chance with Stanford women's soccer team

16. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    from chapelboro.com: Tar Heel Women's Soccer Heads West For Final Four

from chapelboro.com: UNC Women's Soccer Will Be "Completely Fine" In College Cup

17. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Congratulations to Stanford on an outstanding season, and on a very spirited game tonight!

I can't say I am sorry about the outcome. I will say that it was a real pleasure to watch such a talented squad work so hard and do so well to try to win a result. You guys are one exceptional program and will be a real force, not only in the last several seasons, but in years to come.

You should be very proud of what you have achieved! It was a pleasure to watch you play! I look forward to your future success in any encounters where you don't meet UNC (unfortunately, that is where the compliments need to end...).

Well done tonight, and my compliments on an excellent season and an excellent run in the NCAA!

cachundo and RPVCard repped this.
  19. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC