Stanford University 2011 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cachundo, Jan 8, 2011.

1. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG] Santa Clara 0 – 2 Stanford [​IMG]

On a warm summer night, the Card quieted a boisterous crowd and quietly score 2 goals of their own.

Seems like the gametime, Sunday @ 2000, was set up to accommodate freshman convocation or something like that. 20 minutes before KO, a spirited mob filed out of Leavey Center, band and pep and all that shebang. The downside to such a “late” start is that most folks consider it a schoolnight, there were hardly any kids in the stands. I Usually find the kids more vocal supporters than the student body.

SCU came out with 2-up, 4 in the back, and utilized a seldom-used player to shadow T. It was effective in the sense that the Card were hesitant on passing to T because she was always shadowed. As a result, the attack was somewhat disjointed. LT dropped back more than usual, but she is not a good ballhandler, will dribble straight to traffic, and will usually lose the ball with just a little pressure. Still, she provided more value to the attack than her running mates.

Rat let the tactical wrinkle play itself out, then made a substitution after 20 minutes that put Cami in midfield. Cami provides penetration with the ball at her feet that no other mid can provide other than T. 10 minutes later, the goal came when Cami dribbled straight at the heart of the defense, salvaged a botched give-and-go, and Cami scored. It is not unlike the same play that resulted in the PK in the Portland game.

SCU huddled in what seemed like an eternity, and discontinued their gambit of shadowing T by making subs, and played Stanford straight-up with 2-up. Kudos to them for finding a way to neutralize T but Cami changed the game, and they had no response to that.

Marjani came in a few minutes later, and scored within 5 minutes. She was fouled about 40 yards out, T did a quick restart that caught SCU by surprise. T played the ball in to the space in front of Chioma, Chi toed the endline and centered a pass, and Marjani slotted home the ball. Wonderful goal. Jerry must be very disappointed with his crew for getting caught sleeping with the quick restart.

H2 was a mixed bag, final score in terms of quality chances should have been 1-5. LT sent a ball into outer space on an 8-yard sitter, Chioma twice missed on breakaways, the last one was most frustrating because T was wide-open at the far post. Has a long way to go before I can become half-convinced that she is indeed wowow’s future best Stanford player ever.

The outcome was never in doubt, the defeaning silence in a full stadium every time Stanford scored validated what was on everyone’s minds as to who was going to win that game.

Slightly amused at pundits’ prognostications about Jerry being a tactical genius. If SCU had the horses to run with Stanford, they wouldn’t resort to gimmicks the past 4 seasons and would have played us straight-up. Remember, these radical out-of-the-box tactically ingenious systems were not deployed even against the 2007 edition when O’Hara and Press were playing, and those two ran riot on them that night and the two had more shots between them than the rest of SCU put together. If Press’ crossbar hits were considered goals, she would have had a hat-trick that night, but instead that game ended up as a 0-0 2OT tie.

The addition of T & to a lesser extent Cami in 2008 changed the equation in Stanford’s favor. Never before had Stanford had 2 quality mids who had the ball control, passing, and penetration that was required to feed the horses up top. They played us straight-up in Buck Shaw in ’08 and we slashed them to pieces, 1-5 IIRC. That score could have been much much worse. After that, SCU never again resorted to playing Stanford straight-up in competitive play. If playing with the resources at hand is what’s considered genius, then the Pacific coach should be honored with such accolades with his more profound tactical gimmickry. i.e. man-marking all 10 field players.

Not criticizing Jerry at all, props to him for thinking of ways to change the equation in his favor, and working with the cards he was dealt with.

Talking about geniuses, how about that Ratcliffe guy? Never saw him as a tactical genius but he had the Midas touch this game. He let SCU’s tactical wrinkle play itself out, then made a sub 20 minutes in that put Cami in midfield. 10 minutes later, Cami scores. Puts Marjani in shortly thereafter, and 5 minutes later, she scores. How’s that for genius?

If I had a minor quibble, is why doesn’t Marjani start in place of Sydney. When the ball goes to Sydney, the attack literally goes backward. With Marjani, the ball goes forward because she wants to stretch the field with the ball at her feet or by chasing it, thus, leading the line and opening up the attack for her teammates.

Pac play starts next Saturday night against Arizona. Hmmmmm ……. Let’s see ….. consistent cellar-dweller ….. winning 4 grueling games against playoff teams, including last year’s champion ….. winning the past 2 weeks against programs that have 6 national championships between them ….. oh and school starts joy joy seeing old friends and making new ones, moving out of the dorms ….. what??? We have a game this week against who? ….. perfect set-up for a trap game.

See you all Saturday.

2. multisport

multisport Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Speaking of Santa Clara not having the "horses" to keep up. A couple of years ago when Region IV was held in Denver, I saw Jerry Smith on the sidelines making a wisecrack about recruits sending him letters and maybe there is a decent player or two around that he would go watch. The same year one of those kids he wouldn't even watch went to SC anyhow and walked on, getting a start. Most kids aren't so tenacious as she was. I had seen her play club and was pretty surprised at all that.

3. paltrysum

paltrysum Member

May 19, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole world is wondering about this at this point. Well, at least those of us who pay attention to Stanford soccer. I can't fathom why he hasn't made a roster change at this position yet. It makes no sense given lack of production, turnovers, heck even a lack of competitive fire.

Good write-up as usual, Cachundo.

4. Dabeautifulgame

Dabeautifulgame New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Most coaches are blind, even the better ones. If they only took objective stats to assess players, that would be a start. The stats don't lie. Passes that don't connect, lost 50/50 balls, etc. They need to yank out the player that makes the same mistake and tell her to go back in, here is what she needs to do. Leaving a poorly performing player on too long, no matter if its a junior or senior or a "favorite" only hurts morale. Everyone sees what the coach doesn't. He or she is only fooling himself...or herself!

5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the entire Stanford team is hospitalized, AND Arizona plays its best game of the year, they might score and win 1-0.

OK, I exaggerate, they're not THAT bad, but they haven't won a game yet and might not. They are 1+ seasons into recovery after a near-dismantling of the team, I don't know the details but a large number of players left and the assistant coach got promoted and handed the wreckage. This year there is one senior, the goalkeeper, and lots of freshmen and sophomores. They have played some good teams fairly close (including #8 Pepperdine) and are not easy to score on, but they don't score themselves, having done so in only one game. I really do hope they win one (Anybody But Colorado), I just can't imagine it being this one.

6. wowow

wowow Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Derbarkasmann 1, Cachundo 0...Stanford mauled the Cats. The score could have been even more lopsided if the Cardinal hadn't fallen asleep at the wheel for 40 minutes in 1H. In fact, the game was 44 minutes of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and 46 minutes of !!!!!!!!!!!! TM's great goal at the end of 1H broke Arizona's back, revitalized Stanford's engine and set the stage for a 2H clinic.

I wonder why Arizona's coach used the same three-pronged strategy that failed Santa Clara last week: drop the lines very deep, man-mark TN and pray a lot. After figuring things out against Santa Clara, the Cardinal easily did so again against the Wildcats. TN just pulled her marker out of the centerline and opened spaces for the likes of MN and especially CL after PR made the obvious tactical change again. CL is much better penetrating through open spaces than KZ. Not much else to analyze. Everyone played and showed very well. Great bonding game.

I really like this year's team, even though (and maybe even because) it doesn't have the counterattacking potential of the previous two editions. Great team chemistry, phenomenally diversified stats and the best brand of soccer I have ever seen Stanford play. KO and CP were killer sharks and great counterattackers, but they limited the team's versatility. This year, coach PR is (so far) allowing the team to play the game differently, with a collective style based on skill and vision that is a load of fun to watch. Our little home-grown Barca.

7. cardinalfan

cardinalfan Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I think what you are seeing is a natural progression of learning how to play the game in this fashion.most of the players come in to this system with no clue how to play possession soccer. hundreds of hours of practice and at least 5 years of dozens of players learning, thinking, and trying to play the same way has allowed them- even the subs- to be better and better at it. of course the talent level has gone up substantially in those 5 years but they have all come in and had to learn PR's system. the older ladies know exactly what is needed and the frosh each year learn from them. it may not always beat the long ball/more direct approach, but the days of Rachel Buehler kicking the long ball to the forwards and hoping they win it and do something with it is pretty much gone!(5 losses and a bunch of ties that year ,before current streaks started)

8. XHCreus6

XHCreus6 New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    SJ
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wowow, our little home grown Barca?! i love it. i have so much fun watching this team. We don't have a WPS team in the bay area anymore? no problem...this Stanford team can beat any of those teams anyway. And...i truly believe that. I mean by the time they were already up 4-0 Ratcliffe subbed out his entire lineup and they still scored another 3 goals and still maintained a clean sheet. Also, I have to say Kristy Zurmuhlen has seriously grown on me. That girl NEVER stops moving! definite example of a work horse! wow. even after her goal when everyone came to celebrate with her....she was first to get back. still running! haha i love that!

9. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG] Stanford 7 – 0 Arizona [​IMG]

The Card score a TD & a PAT, but it wasn’t until 30 seconds left in H1 that they sealed the deal.

Sydney was at the right place at the right time to snag Chioma’s rebound off the post.

Chi has now hit more woodwork than she has scored goals.

Chi was 3 steps ahead of the defense on a breakaway, and 20 yards from goal, inexplicably cut the ball to her favored left foot, only for the shot to fall perfectly on the GK’s arms. Didn’t even have to leave her feet. It’s not unlike a 1-v-1 layup situation, but you pull up to hit a 15-ft jumper.

Given the opportunity,
    almost every soccer player can shoot the ball,
    but very few strikers can actually take a goal.

For most of H1, the Card showed they can shoot the ball, with not too much accuracy, and without much creativity. Stanford finally showed their panache when Marjani held the ball long enough to allow T & McCann to get behind everybody. McCann had the presence of mind to let the ballhandler get ahead of her, allowing the GK to commit, and T effortlessly lateraled a pass to a wide-open McCann. Good guys 2-0. game over.

A goal is a goal, but not all goals are the same. That 2nd goal, with 30 seconds left in the half, killed whatever hopes Arizona had in getting a result. The brilliance of the play that involved 3 players to execute was breathtaking and sucked the life out of the visitors.

3rd goal was a massive header by Z to the near-post. You could see it coming from where I was sitting, it was just perfect.

4th goal seemed like a speculative 40-yard pass by Kendall to Quon streaking to the far post. It sailed over the GK’s head and went in.

Goals by LT & Marjani are now a blur; Marjani’s happened so quickly.

Great game overall, albeit against a hapless team.

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/index.php/article/2011/09/no._1_soccer_team_slaughters_wildcats

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2011/09/26/w-soccer-six-players-score-in-rout-of-arizona

which leads me to look at this game a little more objectively. This wasn’t just any team, this is one of the poorest Pac teams I’ve ever seen. Fact is,the season is at its half-way point, and Arizona have ZERO wins, and have scored a total of TWO goals. For more perspective, Marjani scored the same number of goals all by herself in this game just 90 seconds apart than Arizona have scored all season.

Anybody can look good playing against Arizona. This game was no measuring stick by any means and the feel-good posts look good, but perhaps need to put things in better perspective.

The season will get more difficult. The most grueling road trip will take the Card to the Palouse on Friday and Seattle on Sunday. Everyone hopes to knock off #1 because that’s the ticket they need to punch to the big dance. Hope that the Card continue their winning ways on th is grueling roadtrip.

10. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while.

Y'all probably know this but I don't ... Who is cachundo? I would guess a former player and an English major, given the exceptional soccer knowledge and writing ability.

11. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Referring to derbarkasmann 1, cachundo 0, not Stanford 7, Arizona 0.

12. paltrysum

paltrysum Member

May 19, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your answer is probably a click away.

As for her/his major, aren't all Stanford grads and students geniuses and therefore articulate? :)

13. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  15. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. paltrysum

paltrysum Member

May 19, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big game on Sunday vs. UCLA. Any predictions?

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stanford has given up 4 goals so far this year. UCLA has given up 5.

0-0.

18. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  19. QUICK AS A FLASH

Dec 8, 2010
    Determined Bruins

They may not be scoring but their opponents are finding it hard to get into the final third. The passing game (especially T) will be the key.:cool:

20. wowow

wowow Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Good win against a hard working USC side on a beautiful night at the Farm. The Trojans were limited by an inexistent front line, but I was impressed with their discipline, shape and lion hearts. Stanford managed the game proficiently, but I was disappointed with the team's lack of dynamism on the ball. Too many plays were too predictable and slowpaced for my taste.

Still, green lights to AG, RQ, KR, TN, SP and subbies. RQ's goal was the game's highlight, off a beautiful combo mambo with TN. Those are two of the best soccer heads and finest technicians in college today, imo, and seeing them figure things out is worth the price of admission. Together with AG, they guided the team to safe harbor. AG has become the teams rock of Gibraltar and I still don't understand why USSoccer agreed to lose her and TN to Mexico. KR and SP made some mistakes, but managed to stay focused and effective most of the night. Finally, hats off to the subbies, who put the nail on the coffin on a nice NG breakaway.
    My best wishes to LL, I didn't like how she went down.

Yellow lights to CU, KZ, MN, and CL, who competed against each other for the Worst Pass of the Night award. I thought this was CL's weakest game, she looked drained.

Red light to LT. Really, really bad outing. I could see her frustration mounting as the game wore on, but she created most of her own misery by tracking back too deep, overcomplicating her every touch, losing a ton of balls and playing a very selfish game. I hope she snaps out of her lethargy come Sunday.

EO could have used the game to catch up on her sleep or homework.

Sunday's game vs. my alma mater UCLA promises to be an epic defensive battle. I can't wait. Go Cardinal.

21. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG] Stanford 3 – 0 USC [​IMG]

The Card score 3 goals on a beautiful night down at the Farm.

1st goal was credited to Sydney, who conveniently got in the way of Z’s sure-fire goal.

2nd goal was a beautiful combo between T & Quon, who penetrated through the middle catching the Toejams offguard. Her rocket hit the bottom of the post, and the rebound clearly was in.

3rd goal salted the wounds inflicted on the visitors from the ‘hood. With less than a minute left and nothing to lose, they let their GK launch a FK from midfield. Bad idea. The defense quickly cleared the ball and Natalie used her speed for the breakaway and shot past the scrambling GK. Great goal for Natalie. She should have taken another goal for a breakaway earlier in the half but passed to Shelby who was in a much better position only to let poor ball control get in the way of the desire to take the goal on a breakaway.

Congratulations to Ratcliffe for a milestone 200th victory. Nice story on the Palo Alto Online

The Card seemed to be cruising on 3rd gear the entire game, undoubtedly with an eye on Sunday’s game against UCLA. UCLA were held to a scoreless tie up in Berkeley, so will be motivated to get a result on Sunday. Seems like it will be the most important game to date, with the winner having a firm grasp on the Pac championship. Projected to sell out so get your tix early. Off to hunt some Buffalo, see you Sunday.

22. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
    Last night was the first game we could make in person for Stanford (we watched the Notre Dame game online after dad - that's me - stupidly didn't think to buy tickets in advance!).

It was a good game - Stanford dominated the ball in the first half, and USC was always playing catchup. We actually thought USC played better than Stanford in the second half, but just couldn't put the ball in the net. Of course, the game was really never in doubt, but wowow is right - USC played with a lot of heart.

One big disappointment for us was watching Stanford play leapfrog in the middle of the field after the RQ goal. I've been a fan of RQ since we first saw her two years ago - I'm always impressed by her calm, not-fancy (in a good way), proficient and unselfish play. So I was happy to see the ball go in for her - not sure I've ever seen her score a goal.

But seeing the leapfrog game in the middle of the field after that goal was disappointing. The thoughts that came to mind were "Act like you've done this before" and "You may go undefeated and win the final game in the college cup, but you won't be true champions in my mind after that display." - Sorry, it was just classless.

23. paltrysum

paltrysum Member

May 19, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed the game so I can't comment on the celebration but I absolutely loved Mariah's "shoot em up" celebration after she scored on Notre Dame. Very creative. It only took about 5 seconds to execute so it didn't slow the game down or anything.

In much of the world, celebration of goals is expected. From Rooney sliding on his knees to Landon Donovan's dive, it's pretty common to whoop it up after a goal. I suppose there's a limit to what is tasteful but personally I like to see the kids enjoy a good score as long as it doesn't slow down the game much.

24. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
    I enjoy the celebrations too, especially when they are spontaneous and come from pure joy.

This seemed pre-planned and over the top. Just my opinion, of course. We're primarily Santa Clara fans, but Stanford comes in a close second in our house - always enjoy watching them play and their ability to dominate other teams. That's probably part of why I don't like the pre-planned, contrived, over-the-top celebration - they're good enough that I don't think they need to do that - I think they should let their dominating play speak for itself. I don't think the pre-planned, contrived celebrations show respect for the other team or the game.

Again, just my opinion.

25. wowow

wowow Member

Aug 31, 2009
    What a great win against an outstanding UCLA side. 1H had to be one of the most fun bits of college soccer played at the Farm since I've been around. The 1H score didn't reflect the seesaw flow of the game, and the Cardinal had to be thankful the ball bounced their way when it counted. Something like 1-1 or 2-1 would have been representative of what happened on the field. 2H was a bit duller as both sides showed the wear and tear of the weekend. The Bruins had the handle of the game for much of the half, but their hill was just too steep.

Fantastic performances by EO, AG, RQ, TN and CU, who deserve bright green lights. EO is my day's hero, with that unbelievable save at the beginning of the game. Gamechanger. AG turned around a sloppy start into a masterful day, shutting down everyone and everything in 2H. RQ hit the pause button at the end of the USC game and unpaused it with the opening whistle. A fine, fine show from the most technically gifted outside back ever. And TN, wow. The field marshal at her best. Does she have an extra set of eyes on her head? Vision, composure on the ball, unmatched technique and extraordinary game awareness. I don't think she misplayed a single ball all day and even found the time to thrill the fans with twirls, swirls, over-the-head heel passes, scoops, megs. Geez. Since I like to predict greatest evers, TN may get my vote as Stanford's greatest attacking midfielder. And what about CU? Yeah, her right leg is only good to keep her from falling down, but that magical left foot is Martaesque.

The rest of the starters were more than adequate, save KR and SP. KR continues to struggle with decisions and execution, and SP was technically out of her league. Except for the massively efficient MHG, the subbies also struggled with their physical, technical and/or tactical limitations against really much, much better UCLA players.

Wowow's are hosting a soccer party next Friday night. Family and friends will be glued to the 7pm telecast on FSC, as the Cardinal take on the Wildcats on national TV. Then it's back to Cagan Field in two weeks. Go Stanford.