Stadium News, Speculation & Possible Truthiness XXVII: This time with less Zzzzzzzzz

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cecil Fielder for you on line 3.

2. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you're saying is true, but it's also completely irrelevant to what *he* was saying. He wasn't decrying how commercialized those sports are; he was saying he didn't like to sit through lots of commercials in a break between periods of sports action. I find it hard to believe you didn't realize that's what he was saying . . .?!

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    If baseball were a real sport, it would still be in the summer Olympics, like handball or field hockey. :)

That's not to say that baseball players aren't athletes, but their athletic requirements are somewhat limited and specialized, relative to some other sports that require a broader and more encompassing brand of athleticism, imo.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't miss baseball that much, but I do miss softball at the Olympics.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The same could be said for sprinters, distance runners, weightlifters, goalies, offensive lineman, golfers, tennis players, yadda yadda.

Athleticism had a broad definition and certain sports require more of one kind of athleticism than others. Obviously soccer requires more stamina and pace than baseball or some positions for American football. But those sports require more strength and power.

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    of course.

(but one would have difficulty saying the same about field soccer players, for the most part. and overall, I'd argue that soccer players are not nearly as limited or specialized in their athleticism as baseball players are, and therefore soccer players are "better" athletes on the whole.)

I'm not convinced that baseball "requires more strength and power" than soccer.

Baseball certainly requires different kind of "strength and power" (and athleticism), but certainly not necessarily "more" strength and power (and athleticism) on average, relative to soccer.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    We can go back and forth on this all day, so I'll just let it go, especially since we're getting off topic and none of it is helping us get a stadium.

I know a lot of DCU fans feel crapped upon by the Nationals and resent the team and the sport for a lot of what has happened to the club and while I don't agree with all of it, I certainly see why some feel that way and why that may jade their opinion towards the Nationals and baseball as a whole.

sitruc repped this.
  8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    agreed.

I've already started to hate on team tennis, in the off (or perhaps real) chance that the Kastles somehow prevent or hinder United from a getting a DC stadium in the years ahead.

9. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cecil retired in 1998. I think you mean his son, Prince Fielder. And neither of them are particularly representative of baseball players today. The Nationals lineup averages 6' 2" and 206 lbs.

Which is basically this guy (Ian Desmond: 6' 2" 210 lbs):

[​IMG]

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    And I'd put Pontius (or Jakovic, or Korb or Hamid) up against Desmond (or Harper, or Zimmerman or LaRoche) in some or any overall athletic competition, and like the chances of the soccer player to be victorious.

(Although, the best entertainment might be seeing Najar and Lombardozzi competing in the decathlon, or something like that.)

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sort of on (off?) topic.... here is a breakdown of a MLB broadcast:

[​IMG]

Boloni86 repped this.
  12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many years ago ABC sponsored a so-called "Superstars" competition (which began in England), and Kyle Rote, Jr. a soccer player for Dallas in the NASL won it three out of the first four years, beating high profile football players, et. al., handily. The competition included a sprint, a half-mile run, obstacle course, weight lifting, biking, rowing, and several other events. The fact that the winner played soccer (and was the son of a Hall of Fame American football player) was eye-opening at the time.

Winoman, Sandon Mibut and tab5g repped this.
  13. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, no, I meant Cecil -- I'm aware he's retired, but he's from the modern era rather than Babe Ruth's era, and he was enormous. Frank Thomas, the Big Hurt, fit into that category as well. As did Mark McGwire eventually, but some of that may have been the result of, uh, something other than pigging out.

14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's important to note that that's of the time supposedly spent showing the game -- that is, the time when they're *not* showing commercials.

15. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes... amazing really.

16. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --wait, what??

I thought people were signing up to donate $1 for every post in these threads??

Crap.

tab5g and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  17. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose. But the average baseball player probably has the basic athletic skillset to play a pickup game of soccer. I doubt the reverse is true.

18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    A pickup game sure. But why would you doubt the reverse is true? (and does anyone actually play "pickup baseball"? Maybe they do, when they get worn out and tired of playing pickup soccer, I don't know.)

Each sport actually and basically requires quite opposite hand-eye, or foot-eye coordination and skill (and/or practice).

But "skillset" and "overall/complete athleticism" might be and likely are different metrics (especially in a competitive setting, and not just a pickup/friendly). Either way, and this is the rare occasion to say this, I'd want Taylor Twellman on my (pickup) team. (You can have Nomar.)

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I only signed up to donate for the on-topic posts.

Winoman repped this.
  20. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Still got all your money, right?

asitis

tab5g repped this.
  21. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    laroche isn't a very good athlete, dude is slowwwwww. Harper is pretty good athlete though, at the very least he's going to be a hell of a baseball player

22. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    (couldn't resist the lay-up...) If it happens, REVS Soccer will have OFFICIALLY gone to the dogs!

23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I will say this with regard to "athleticism." When I take my son to "athletic training" in the off season, he is side by side with baseball players doing the exact same stuff (which looks like torture to me). Also football, softball, lacrosse, volleyball and maybe some other sports I'm overlooking. I think all these sports now require "athleticism," it's just a different set of technical skills required by each.
    This is completely different from entertainment value, where I think soccer is by far the best. I'm not bothered by advertising on the uniforms, etc., it's the stoppages in play that kill the enjoyment for me. When I reached a certain age, I realized that I only have a limited number of days left on this earth and I would rather not waste an entire day watching an NFL game (for example). Watching a soccer match on TV is less than 2 hours, and most of that is not wasted on commercials.

uniteo, Sandon Mibut, DC06 and 2 others repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States