Stadium News, Speculation & Possible Truthiness XXVII: This time with less Zzzzzzzzz

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Transatlantic

Transatlantic Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  2. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    If anything, this might be good news.

Consider: there are folks up in Maryland who almost sound a little worried that DCU might *not* actually leave DC. Did the previous 2010 study have any "DCU payback" clause? If it did, we never heard about it.
    That's new.

Is this change due to the growing feasibilty of Buzzard Point or just the bean-counters in Annapolis playing CYA this time?

3. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Well, it does suggest that Maryland doesn't want to be used as leverage in negotiations with DC. As for United it means they're coming close to a decision point. By agreeing to cover the costs if they don't make the move, they're taking the steps needed to move forward with a proposal on the Westport site -- from their end, and the state's end. Moving forward with plans sets up United with a realistic option, so it will also force the District's hand. It's put up or shut up time. United has a two-year lease, I'd guess they've pretty much determined they need to know where they're going next before they sign a new lease.

Hard to know exactly what United wants from the city right now, but it does seem that the team is prepared to put up a lot of change to build the stadium at Buzzard's Point. They do want some help from the city, and it's surely more than just the land the city holds at the site. Maybe tax-increment financing, maybe help procuring land from Pepco, paying for new infrastructure, zoning changes, maybe a tax break on revenues from the stadium, parking, movie theater, pub and restaurant complex the team has planned. If they want money from the city they won't get it, but they might get the other stuff. A weakened Mayor Gray probably doesn't help, but if he's forced to quit, the next mayor might not want to start out by letting a $150-200 million project and a popular sports team walk away. On the other hand, if Gray isn't implicated, he might try to reach out beyond his base to the Latino and Caucasians that supported Fenty in large numbers. If he can make a case that helping United with its plans won't end up costing the city, agreeing to the stadium might help him withstand a challenge from Evans or Wells. Honestly, I doubt this stadium project would not be a big deal for voters either way, but if it paved the way for the 'Skins to return to the city? That would make the Mayor a hero.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  4. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, if Gray isn't implicated, he might try to reach out beyond his base to the Latino and Caucasians that supported Fenty in large numbers. If he can make a case that helping United with its plans won't end up costing the city, agreeing to the stadium might help him withstand a challenge from Evans or Wells. Honestly, I doubt this stadium project would not be a big deal for voters either way, but if it paved the way for the 'Skins to return to the city? That would make the Mayor a hero.[/quote]

An excellent quote. I hadn't seen that angle. We can only hope that United and the city have a good strategy to present it in a way that it helps the elected official. We're also now in a better environment in that the Nats are winning and filling their stadium.

5. United Fanatic

United Fanatic New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Accordingly to Craig Stouffer on Twitter (about 2 hours ago):
    DCU just introduced at end of practice to Erick Thohir and others who are here at RFK. Status of potential investment in team? Not sure.
    #DCU not commenting on Thohir appearance. Notable, at least to me, that Chang not present. Could mean nothing, though.

6. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i remember his name being thrown around a few months ago... definately worth noting that he was actually at RFK... hopefully goffinho or somebody can scrounge something up about this visit.

7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'd expect him to show up at a match instead of a practice. I guess he's busy Saturday night...:rolleyes:

9. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the guy intruduced to the team? Or just people standing around?

10. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was the guy intruduced to the team? Or just people standing around?

11. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man if he is *at saturday's game*, some one should scrap up some tifo for him. Sell it baby!

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I doubt he'll be here today. He's got a game that's a wee bit more important up in Boston.

Thx,

Jay!

13. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Thohir and Will Smith could invest in the real MIB?

stangspritzring and drink.mingusdew repped this.
  14. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is it Jay, really? The last important game for the Sixers was in 1983...

15. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Or 2001. The Sixers have been to the Finals more than any team not named the Lakers or Celtics.

Thx,

Jay!

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I have money on AI sneaking on the court after a timeout.

17. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    double post

18. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

19. traversunitedfan

Apr 29, 2007
    Hollywood MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think i saw him with a big group of people when i was in the tunnel at RFK before kickoff.

20. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    My understanding is that Erick Thohir was not there but his employees were. Also, the best thing people can do to help out is to show up for games.

21. traversunitedfan

Apr 29, 2007
    Hollywood MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe i just saw his employees...oh well. Thats almost as good.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Go ahead and say they all look alike. We know you want to...:p

23. traversunitedfan

Apr 29, 2007
    Hollywood MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States