Alert: Stadium News & Speculation: A New Hope, or Lucy with The Football

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Interesting. Another factor in the 20th century was air conditioning. In the 19th century and before, New Orleans was the big southern city because, as somebody else said, you just need a big city there. Other than that, the south was largely agricultural and there weren't other really big cities because nobody wanted to live there. Once air conditioning was introduced and the region became more habitable, Atlanta, Miami and Houston really took off. Houston became the center of the oil industry, Miami took over as the gateway to Central and South America. No new industries moved into NOLA, and now it struggles to be seen as "major league." And then the population growth all over the south helped lead to the homogenization you refer to.

It's still sort of under the radar, but NOLA is starting to do pretty well in that regard. It's attractive to educated 20-somethings, so it is now a popular location for startup companies.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/232360

http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orleans-Magazine/January-2013/Startups-Flourish-in-New-Orleans/

Young professionals also seem to like the city.

http://www.504ward.com/

So if you are young, single and (dare I say it?) hip, or if you are a highly paid professional who can afford to send his kids to a private school (plenty of good ones) and live in a nice neighborhood, NOLA is a desirable place to live right now. If you have a "working class" job and want to send your kids to public schools, well, NOLA just isn't the place for you to move to right now.

2. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

3. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main reason the south didn't have large cities is because it didn't industrialize until after WWII. Agrarian economies tend not to grow large cities. The cities in the south were typically commercial hubs and ports that serviced the agricultural economy, but cities like that tend to stay relatively small.

Good point about air conditioning.

4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope that should you ever, through some terrible happenstance, find yourself in the South, the residents' natural Southern hospitality and graciousness would stay them from beating the living shit out of you - and then offering you a glass of sweet tea.

5. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Sure it is. Them's the holes in your skin that makes you sweat.
    People in Nawrlens know all about that.;)

asitis

6. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Again, 'generally' and 'comparably.' I'm sure many Southerners are quite delightful. It doesn't change the fact that what I said was accurate in each case again generally and comparably- since not everyone is obese, and not everyone dropped out of high school and not everyone is a climate change denier or creationist etc.

Also, the whole 'Southern Hospitality' thing is a stereotype in it's own right. People are pleasant and unpleasant everywhere.

onefineesq repped this.
  7. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are "climate change questioners" more socially acceptable? Or are those people just called skeptics? Is that better than being a denier? I don't keep up on these things.

And what is a creationist anyway? You say it like it's a bad thing.

8. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    That was just a statement of 'not everyone is X or Y given their region of living.' Not everyone in the South loves Nascar, and not everyone in California is a surfer hippy. Whether or not they are socially acceptable or not wasn't the point there :p

9. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Climate change denying surfer hippies who love NASCAR though.

Well, you be the judge.

10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what your are saying, because I have this stereotype of northerners being curt and abrasive. But yes, not all of them all of the time. And I have this stereotype of certain westerners in the ranching and extractive industries as railing against the federal government while prospering by using federal lands for their purposes at well-below-market rates. And so on.... But one regional difference I will defend unto death is the superiority of Southern cooking; particularly as practiced in places like Charleston, Savanna, New Orleans, et. al.. Arrayed against the "cuisine" of the American Heartland is not a fair fight.

Winoman repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone everywhere loves NASCAR.
    It's like soccer that way :D

I read your posts and all I can think of is Ohio and Idaho, which looking at a map aren't very southern, but exhibit all the same stereotypes (except people there are not at all hospitable).

Hospitable people in the South have developed a phrase for folks who talk like you .....

Bless your heart.

12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Using the word cuisine with American heartland is like using the same word with English.

Winoman repped this.
  13. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm sure such a cultural platitude would sting me to my core :p I am in fact a sensitive sort.

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) such phrases have been known to give well-sired gentlemen a severe case of the vapors

shammypants and Winoman repped this.
  15. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu

Darth Norteño and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    This thread is getting sort of surreal..resisting the impulse to view ignored content...

17. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If you are worried, don't be. There is absolutely no stadium content here.

18. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    I only skimmed the New Orleans stuff, but I gathered that the Army Corps of Engineers is building DCU an underwater stadium.

mosca, fatbastard, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Resolutely sticking to the subject is so....unimaginative, don't you think? Surreal flights of fancy should be encouraged, the better to untether our minds from the shackles of the everyday, banal conventions of discourse.

20. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #2070 TheJoeGreene, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Um, no my point is that you threw a quote out there that completely ignored its well known context. Tennessee Williams was gay, NY/SF/NO were the only cities truly open to allowing his sexuality at the time, and he made a statement that showed his appreciation of them for it. It had nothing to do with the relative merits of the cities on any other front.

21. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bless his heart

(edit cause fatbastard beat me to it)

fatbastard repped this.
  22. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Stadium finished yet?

Falc repped this.
  23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    takes a humble man to put words in T. Williams's mouth. "It was really all about the butt sex ... the city itself was actually a total shit hole"

song219 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2074 Bootsy Collins, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    Yes.
    No. He did have a solid group of gay friends in NYC and NO (especially NYC), but that's a long way from the cities' "being truly open to allowing his sexuality". The Stonewall Riots were a couple of decades after his main time in NYC; not that things changed immediately after, but the point is that there were still decades of strong and institutionalized anti-gay discrimination to go.

No. Williams adored New Orleans across the board, referring to it as his spiritual home. He wrote letters to his mother about how enraptured he was with the city's look and feel, describing hours he spent just walking around and looking at/listening to what he found in the city.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    They are entering the preliminary stages of wondering whether or not a preliminary deal will be drafted for evaluation in the preliminary stages of preliminary prelimination etc.