Alert: Stadium News & Speculation: A New Hope, or Lucy with The Football

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Jul 24, 2013.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First mayoral "the United" comment - drink!

second!!!!!! Drink again!

2. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is ok .. breathe easily ... what I like most is the most emphatic statement Gray made was that the team was STAYING in DC. That seems like it really meant something. ....

3. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If the stadium gets built with the condition that we change the name to THE United, I'm all for it.

Ooooooooo THE United! Ooooooooo THE United! O-o-o-o-o! Hey Hey Hey!

Shopping Cart Man and Boloni86 repped this.
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NEVER!!!!!! :D

5. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gray gives kudos to Levien ... nice speech by Gray ..

now to Levien.

6. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    'dynamic' is apparently in the talking points today.

7. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No DK in leadership, adios Dave Kasp... oh mentioned, lucky him :devilish:

8. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not watching, and you never know with these things, but I have been watching government move very closely for several years now, and in my experience, you learn to get a sense of when things are virtually a done deal, despite all the caveats and shouting.

I don't get that sense with this-- but I'm close. I'm leaning.

Government is a strange beast, and everyone knows DC city govt is even stranger, but there is usually this... feeling you get about projects that are announced. I don't know what it is, but sometimes you just have this hunch that the check move has already been worked out and it's just a matter of getting all the pieces on the board in the right places. And like chess, the more complex the moves are and harder to follow, the less likely people will be able to make sense of it.

That's not to say it's always a bad thing, because it's not. Having worked in government, I've seen that often times the "PR" of making something good happen is often more about carefully managing the process rather than letting it become it's own beast. There's always a reason to complain about everything.

Seeing what happens immediately after this announcement, and then over the next 3 months or so, should decide it.

9. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CSN YOU SHITHEADS!!!!

10. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Wouldn't be DCU without technical difficulties. is Kasper running the feed?

11. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    technical difficulties, oh boy.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This execution of this announcement isn't giving me a lot of confidence about this project!

From the lack of seats or a dais for the officials to the feed going tits-up, it's pretty mickey mouse.

That said, if the deal goes through, none of this will matter. But for now, this is all VERY modern DC United.

13. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Levien finishes (feed basically gone - argh!) ... ... I am somewhat optimistic .. seems like the business and political sides have addressed all the key angles .. key is the Reeves center construction ... that must have broken this open and why it was so complicated and took so much time to bring it together.

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the CSN guy is pretty good at sitting there :)

Winoman, Sandon Mibut and BBBulldog repped this.
  15. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lew giving a whole lot of credit to Levien and the new ownership being a game changer ...
    talking about this being about development and jobs and the lack of taxes involved.

Barbieri repped this.
  16. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know they were doing the presser at the Plex.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Did Lew just say "zillions" of opportunities for businesses?

sitruc and Barbieri repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from dcunited.com: An open letter from the bosses

When we first introduced ourselves as investors in D.C. United last summer, we said we believed there was a pathway to a permanent home for Major League Soccer’s most storied club. We promised that along with the District of Columbia, we would use machetes to achieve our goal.
    One year later, we are excited and proud to say that D.C. United has accomplished a significant milestone towards having a venue of its own.
    The agreement reached between District Mayor Vincent Gray and D.C. United is the critical step toward a soccer stadium for the District of Columbia located at Buzzard Point in Southwest Washington. It will generate jobs for District residents, and it will bring life to a growing part of the city. It will be financed privately, built without new taxes or additional burdens on the residents of the District. Matching and exceeding the best attributes of venues that have come before it, the stadium will be a world-class facility that will match the distinction of the city it will call home.
    It will also strengthen the bonds between D.C. United and a city to which it has always been steadfastly committed. Programs provided by D.C. United and United for DC, the charitable arm of D.C. United - such as United Builds, United Drives, United Reads, and United Soccer Club - remain at the heart of D.C. United’s mission to win championships and serve the community. They will be strengthened by the security of the team’s future.
    The realization of a soccer stadium in the District is a reflection of D.C. United’s role within the fabric of the city and the sport. Our club and our fans forged traditions to anchor Major League Soccer in its infancy. This accomplishment will add to our rich history, leading to a venue in our nation's capital unlike any other in our league.
    There is plenty of work ahead, but we are determined to collaborate with the District of Columbia government until this comes to fruition.
    Thank you to Mayor Gray, City Administrator Allen Lew, the D.C. Council and all of those who have helped turn D.C. United’s longstanding dream into a reality. Most importantly, we would like to thank the fans of D.C. United for their continued commitment to the club and for their determination in making its supporters the best in North America.
    Sincerely,
    [​IMG]

sitruc repped this.
  19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.

20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Thanks for not using word franchise. I was about to hurl from hearing it used so much lately :D

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    "The" United is better than Levien saying "lended" rather than "lent" and he did it twice!

22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Uh, oh. Someone get Barry a briefcase full of cash, stat!

Boloni86 repped this.
  23. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was Barry trying to ask, obviously to stir something up

Barbieri repped this.
  24. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody at the press conference mention a pending deal with Pepco for their land?

25. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The center that Akridge will get has Barry's name all over it. He has always been an ego guy. He needs to be assured that whatever gets built of fixed at that place will still bear the Barry name.

Barbieri repped this.