Alert: Stadium News & Speculation: A New Hope, or Lucy with The Football

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and some percentage of those folks that flock to the new thing will fall in love with the fan culture, the game and the experience and will become true fans of the team. That's how you grow your fan base. Several of my friends had never been to a soccer game until I brought them to one and we stood with the SE. Some of them never came back, but several of them go to 3 to 5 games a year.

People wanting to go to United games is undoubtedly a good thing.

2. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    fyp

danKohner repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I do hope you realize United has done all of that continues to do that without a shiny new stadium.

Shopping Cart Man and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...this sums up my feeling quite succinctly...

5. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, this is a good day but there is lots left to do to avoid this being scuppered.

I am excited and cautiously optimistic but still too concerned about the remaining hurdles to completely exalt.

That said, I feel better about this than I have in years and, perhaps, ever.

Lastly, congrats are due to Levien for doing what Kevin Payne was unable to do.

Winoman repped this.
  7. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so, here's the plan. Once the stadium deal is finalized, we push for trolleys from and to lot 8 on game days, so we can still tailgate appropriately...

Or am I getting greedy?

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is how you handle good news I'd hate to see your reaction to bad news.

Vamos!

dadman, Sandon Mibut and bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. mdr227

mdr227 New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, tailgating would be very limited, not impossible based on where you park, but certainly different from what is done at RFK. However, being in an urban setting would offer many more alternatives such as going to bars and restaurants before and after, locations along the riverfront that are existing and/or will be developed and also far more options for things inside of the stadium like there are at Nationals Park in the outfield concourse for pre and post-match festivities. Streets adjacent to the stadium could also be blocked off for pre-game concerts and other activities.

If this does happen it would give DC United one of just three true urban soccer specific stadiums in the US (Portland's and Houtson's being the other ones) where they are integrated into the urban neighborhood as they are so often in Europe (vs being built in the suburbs with massive parking lots and nothing else around or being built in urban areas like RB Arena that aren't particularly close to anything).

I hope the capacity is closer to the 25,000 as some are reporting vs the 20,000 others are reporting as that would give us one of the top three SSS in terms of capacity in the US along with Home Depot (Stub Hub) Center and RB Arena and surely would put us near the top of the list for big National Team matches and other international friendlies.

Love the design too of the stadium from the images, will certainly rival any MLS stadium.

Shopping Cart Man, Kempa and Boloni86 repped this.
  11. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In fairness to Kevin Payne, I think Levien did have about 300 million more dollars to work with than Payne did.

Any idea what sort of time table we're looking at before we know whether the deal is actually approved?

onefineesq and tab5g repped this.
  12. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize in advance if you know the person who penned that, but it has two major problems.

1. It's not a $300M stadium, which the headline clearly states
    2. It raises an issue, with absolutely no discussion of the issue, so it's basically pointless. That makes it either not well thought out, or simple click mongering. There is a lot to discuss about the attendance issue, and IMO, most of the evidence is that it's not an issue-- but there's nothing further about it one way or another.

Fail.

13. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crossposting from the old thread... but these need to be in the new one... at least until this deal falls apart too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dadman repped this.
  14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    The Nats didn't truly start packing them in until last year. Attendance this year is the first to be on pace to be over their all-time high set in 2005, their first year at RFK. I expect DCU might draw close to the max, but not every game. The most we ever averaged was 21,000 in 2001 and I'll bet there were some double headers in there.

No one will be stopping you from tailgating in Lot 8 before the games. Just bring a bicycle or some fishing poles and you can party along the Anacostia to your hearts desire.

I can think of at least three "stadium announcements" in the past 10 years or so. I'll wait until the shovels hit the ground to consider this a success. Even then, it could go all Metro on us after ground is broken.

Thx,

Jay!

15. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean a post full of blatantly wrong information? I know, I'm shocked, too!

dadman repped this.
  16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, what? This is so, so wrong.

The Nationals never averaged under 20k a season at RFK. In fact, their lowest attended year was the last, at 23,998. The first year at RFK actually averaged more fans than the first year at Nats Park (because the team in the first year at Nats Park sucked).

This is DC. Unless the team is named the Redskins, fans only show up if the team wins. Having a new stadium will help, but if the team's winning at that point in time, the fans WILL stay.

17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look how well dressed those people are. We're going up-market!

uniteo repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  19. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    People didn't " flock" to Nats Park until last season, when they started winning. Even then, you could get tickets to most games with just a little bit of advance planning. You've overstated your imaginary problem.

Plus, sporting events are way better in front of a full house than when you have 40% capacity rattling around a venue.

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, HKS really went all out with the stock people. Too bad whoever shopped them in didn't get any of the shadows right. Apparently the sun is at 3 different angles simultaneously.

Good news though, I spotted jade1mls. Can anyone else find him/her/it?

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hey look, it's....

http://www.hulu.com/watch/19280

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    this is true, Payne also rubbed a lot of people in the District the wrong way and by the end of his tenure had become an impediment to getting a deal done.

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    They probably got at least 1/3 of the shadows right.

(And for DC United related performance in 2013, that's relatively outstanding.)

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe for how they look on TV, not for actual fan experience :) And if you're only watching on TV, who cares about you anyway ;)

I am cautiously so excited my skin is tingly ;) It will be interesting to hear if there is anything new to hear in the press conference. In today's world, there really seems to be no need at all for press conferences as they always leak all the info the night before.

Try as I might, I cannot figure out what he restaurant or store or whatever is next to the stadium with the red lights on it - this is now all I care about, so someone with younger eyes help me out here :D

dadman repped this.
  25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Probably true.

Also, the influx of cash from the new ownership group probably was the most important new ingredient/non-impediment -- more so than any "proper rubbing" that needs to be done of "people in the District" -- toward getting this deal (apparently) done.

AEK and onefineesq repped this.