"Stadium" at Mile "last chance"

Discussion in 'Milwaukee' started by Epikoinos, Jul 30, 2007.

1. olderandwiser

olderandwiser New Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Whose expectations do you want to manage? Yours? Fair enough. Supporters? Good luck!

2. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, when this first was being tossed in the public opine, while the Brewers (then owned by Selig and company) were all for there being another major sports team in Milwaukee, the Bucks (and the Bradley center board, for that matter) were completely against the idea of a soccer team. The Bucks are stilled owned by the same person. Why then, would they even consider teaming up to help establish a pro soccer team?

3. MU88

MU88 New Member

Sep 19, 2005
    I don't recall the Bucks being against soccer per se, but agaist a stadium next to the Bradley Center. The Bucks wanted to retain the land for increasing their potential income. Remember, the BC was going to put a 5000 concert hall next on that land. However, the WC beat them to the punch and remodeled the Auditorium. WC could move quicker because it had taxing authority as a ready source of funds.

Why would the Bucks be in favor of this project? They would get the arena with all its added revenue streams for free.

I still think a downtown TIF district has the most promise. I think the public could have supported a developer funded arena and stadium. Oh well.

4. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason for the opposition was a fear of additional competition for large events, i.e. concerts.

5. sprovi

sprovi New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Where I breathe
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, they were against both. The GM at the time stated that they don't want to have to compete with another sports franchise, that Milwaukee is saturated the way it is. So while that's not soccer specifically, in was in reaction to a possible MLS team here (and yes, it did go in hand with the concert venue - and what a great venue that turned out to be :(:().

6. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    I don't like the idea at all....would MLS accept something like this??

If they would then I guess I am ok but it kinda sounds iffy. A stadium w/ Marquette was our best option....to bad thats gone now.

What about joining w/ UW-Milwaukee?

7. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    They said yes.

They said no.

8. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    This is a great idea. Heck, feature the race track, and some Harley-Davidson tie-in would be awesome. Great location, fantastic access points, ready-made parking. How can anyone not see this is a win-win?

9. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I understand that bringing a mls team to milwaukee is in no way an easy task, but why are other soccer groups/organizations like fc milwaukee, marq, etc. excited for this possability? Dont they have a prospect of gaining money by bringing a team to milwaukee? It is not like they have so many people attending their games that they have attendence to lose, if anything a milwaukee mls team would create soccer fans that would go to their games. Especially if the team would play at their stadium. If the mile works though I am all for it. There also I dont see why they wouldnt want a team playing there, how much more revenue could they generate by hosting mls games when it would be empty anyways.

~Whatever it takes. 2010~

10. K-sWeise

K-sWeise Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I understand that bringing a mls team to milwaukee is in no way an easy task, but why are other soccer groups/organizations like fc milwaukee, marq, etc. excited for this possability? Dont they have a prospect of gaining money by bringing a team to milwaukee? It is not like they have so many people attending their games that they have attendence to lose, if anything a milwaukee mls team would create soccer fans that would go to their games. Especially if the team would play at their stadium. If the mile works though I am all for it. There also I dont see why they wouldnt want a team playing there, how much more revenue could they generate by hosting mls games when it would be empty anyways.

~Whatever it takes. 2010~