News: St. James' Park is back. Wonga! Wonga! - NUFC News 5.0

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by JaredSS07, Oct 9, 2012.

1. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If true I'd shove Ba back out on the left of a 4-3-3 and leave him there until January.

I have the stones to do it does Pardew?

2. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle were drawn away to Brighton in the FA Cup third round next month.

Brighton currently sit 8th in the Fizzy Pop league and are just 2 points out of the playoff race. The draw could have been worse, but it could have been a little kinder as well.

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    We lost there in the 4th round last year. And I believe it's the longest possible trip for the fans.

Aside from a ManU/City/Chelsea tie, it couldn't be any worse for our paper-thin squad.

Thx,

Jay!

4. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SEEDED for Europa League knockout round.
    Fenerbache, Dnipro Dnipropritovsk, Rubin Kazan, Lyon, Metalist Kharkiv, Chelsea, CFR Cluj, Olympiacos, Benfica, Liverpool, Bordeaux, Viktoria Plzen, Steaua Bucharest,

UNSEEDED for Europa league knockout round.
    Borussia Monchengladbach, Napoli, Inter Milan, Sparta Prague, Bayer Leverkusen, Zenit St. Petersburg, BATE Borisov, Dynamo Kiev, Ajax, Newcastle, Atletico Madrid, Stuttgart, Anzhi Makachkala.

TBD (later today)
    Lazio/Tottenham/Panathinaikos
    Genk/Basel
    Hannover/Levante

Draw for first and second round is in two weeks. We'll be away first leg first round. Can't be drawn against Chelsea or Liverpool (or Tottenham if they win the group..) in first round.

5. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SEEDED: Lazio, Genk, Hannover.
    UNSEEDED: Tottenham, Basel, Levante.

Also, Uefa says on its website that the Champions League seeding will be "confirmed in due course". If they're going by points won this group stage the above will hold. If not, well, whatever.

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Or Bordeaux, right?

Thx,

Jay!

7. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Basically have 13 potential opponents.

To recap (unless Uefa alters the CL seeding)

Our potential opponents: Fenerbahce, Dnipro, Rubin Kazan, Lyon, Metalist, Cluj, Olympiacos, Benfica, Plzen, Steaua, Lazio, Genk, Hannover.

Chelsea, Liverpool, Bordeaux also seeded.

Potential opponents had we won the group: Gladbach, Napoli, Inter, Sparta Prague, Bayer Leverkusen, Zenit, BATE, Dynamo Kiev, Ajax, Atletico Madrid, Stuttgart, Anzhi, Levante, Basel.

Tottenham, us also unseeded.

And now you know why I was hoping we wouldn't win.

8. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah wow. That's sort of backwards in expectations.

9. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No wonder we barely even tried last night.

tigerdave repped this.
  10. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only downside is we're first-leg home so we're probably going to just try and keep a clean sheet and score in the second leg. Pretty much have to win 2-0 first leg to have the hammer.

11. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's it, AP if officially losing it. He had boards placed all around the training grounds to block people's view of training so they can not report back to the opposing team or press who is injured, what tactics they're practicing, what formations are being used in training.

I can just hear the phone call now:

*ring* *ring*

"Hello, Derek Llambias"

"Derek, Alan. I knew they were out to get me. There is a van sitting in the parking lot taking pictures of my practice. Do something Derek!"

"Alan, calm down. Are you sure?"

"Am I sure. Why do you think our results have been so poor! They're out to get me and telling everyone about my tactics and who is playing. They're trying to make sure I fail Derek!"

"Who is this 'They' you keep referring to Alan?"

"The press, the other coaches, the fans, everyone is out to make sure I fail! I want you to put a wall up around the training field so they can't see in any more."

"Just around the field Alan? What if they fly overhead and watch you. I hear their spaceships can hover in one spot for hours."

"Oh, I hadn't thought of that."

"Oh nevermind. Look Alan I'll put up a fence but that's it. Goodbye"

"Derek? Derek? I knew it, he's working with them. He gave in on the fence too easily. They are going to be watching from the sky. Oh well played Derek, well played. I won't be lulled into a false sense of security with your fence Derek. Oh no, I'll be watching, I'll be watching."

tigerdave and JaredSS07 repped this.
  12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Maybe they're working on a new set piece. God knows the ONE* we have right now isn't working.

Thx,

Jay!

*Lump it forward to Willo on the left side of the box, he either heads it across the face of goal to someone or is beaten for it.

13. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Aren't you happy ;) Also, there's this: Mathieu Debuchy set to join Newcastle United in January.

Thx,

Jay!
    Evidently it's in the transfer thread, too. While I have posted in it, I'm actually not subscribed for it. Thanks Big Soccer.

15. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Pretty apologetic piece on ESPN's website on the Coloccini saga.

Not sure how much is damage control and how much is accurate.

Thx,

Jay!

17. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it's mostly both.

18. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it all comes from the Chronicle, weirdly Lee Ryder has been bitching for the last few days that Colo hasn't spoken to the local media (i.e Him) for the last six months, and saying things like "Colo needs to tell the fans the situation". Then all of a sudden there is an exclusive interview with Coloccini in the Chronicle, and Lee Ryder is championing the "it was lost in translation" aspect of the open letter to San Lorenzo etc. Seems like it was engineered by the PR department at NUFC to me. Lee Ryder gets his exclusive, Colo gets a pretty positive write-up, and we all go about our business thinking "ah he didn't REALLY want to leave anyway."

Of course I may be way off... can't imagine this all becoming a matter of local press politics. :rolleyes:

19. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much of a joke is Lee Ryder? I know loads of people who hate him more than any other journalist... (I refuse to consider Piers Morgan a journalist.)

20. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My sources inform me, that the word is and I can reveal that Lee Ryder is far better than Anal Oliver ever was...

21. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryder basically only writes what the club tell/allow him.

22. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can understand why people get wound up by Lee Ryder, he's got a very similar writing style to Anal Oliver. It's always going to be difficult for a local journalist in terms of keeping on the right side of the club. Granted Ryder usually is too fullsome in his praise, and lacking in genuine criticism. As the local hack though... You upset NUFC, they can ban you from the ground etc.

23. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just reminds me of the Swedish Chef SportsCenter commercial.

25. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looks like Tiote is heading back for the Spurs game as Nigeria knock the Ivory Coast out of the AFCON.