Spurs v Benfica - 1st leg / Europa League [R] 13 March

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Mar 11, 2014.

1. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I thought AVB should have been fired, but I can agree with your point because of this: Levy had no one lined up to replace him. #levyout

2. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    Every team that beats us is a class above, so it's ok.

electrickeeper repped this.
  3. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has got to understand that he needs to hire someone with similar views who can run this club as a club and understands what that takes. He is great with the money, but the team is so unbalanced with no coherence. Good to great players fill the roster, but it's setup all wrong and if we had just done things a little differently things would look brighter.

The more and more I think about it AVB's sacking had to be a clash of personalities. Doesn't go well if we are to bring in Van Gaal who ten times the personality that AVB was. Hope things can get straightened out if that happens.

SPUR-ious repped this.
  4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked it better in he FSC days for BPL. While on occasional weeks the Spurs match was not shown, most times it was, either live or delayed. I could record 5 to 8 games a weekend and watch matches through the rest of the week. Now, I can record between 3 and 5 matches each weekend because they are all shown live *and only live*. I have to carefully monitor the recordings to ensure the Spurs match is recorded because the auto recording features won't always catch the Live Extra channels for NBC. It's a pain. The quality of the broadcast is better, but not by enough compared to what I've lost as a consumer. And, I never paid for Fox Soccer Plus! If I'd paid for it I would have been able to catch all but a bare handful of Spurs matches each season, and several more matches of other teams. I decided I watch enough soccer and didn't need to pay extra for the few more games when I could stream (ugly usually) Spurs matches for those few cases.

5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that sucked. What are we playing for now, Levy?

6. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Hehehe, the Peter Principle.

7. B_G_92

B_G_92 Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Watch their 3rd goal again. Why didn't Verthongen fly in with a block feet first? He just ran up to him by that time the ball was lashed into the roof of the net.

8. Raffaelo

Raffaelo Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Wandering the Desert
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I wasn't able to watch this one live. Is there any reason at all that I should watch it, or will it just depress me even more?

9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Objectively, I thought we looked slightly the better team until their first goal, which was really well taken. After that we sort of gave up. Knowing the result in advance, you probably won't be too bummed out. I'm still debating whether to watch the Chelsea game, myself. :sick:

10. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now we play the f**kers... ugh

Lloris and Vertonghen are as good as gone and I don't blame Eriksen for trying to leave either. Levy HAS to get the next manager PERFECT or we are done for a while, we don't have a Suarez to Bale us out of this one

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well, that sucked. and i am mortified for sunday.

that said, there was a somewhat interesting bit. my mate chris and i stopped in for a pre-match pint (technically three) at the antwerp arms. as he had gone up to the bar for the third round, this fellow walked past who looked familiar. it took me a few seconds to place the face ... 'who is that?' ... and then it occured to me ... 'hey up, tim!'.

it was tim, the 'mate' from the away days videos. :D we chatted a bit about the videos (and spurs), and i asked if there were going to be any more. he shortly thereafter introduced me to dan, the guy who makes them, and he said they were planning to do benfica away. of course that was 'before' ... i didn't inquire as to whether they'd still do it if we were effectively out of the tie. :mad:

nice fellas, though. once he found out where i was from, dan started banging on about indiana, as he's apparently a colts fan and gets over for them occasionally. not exactly surreal, but i sure didn't see it coming. anyway, it would've been a nice addition to a wonderful white hart lane experiene ... if it hadn't been such a shit white hart lane experience.

BalanceUT and phoenixhazard repped this.
  12. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow - I love those videos, funny as hell.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip pook...

BalanceUT repped this.
  13. Raffaelo

Raffaelo Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Wandering the Desert
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Cheers.
    What a depressing season.

14. Merck

Merck Member

May 7, 2007
    Buford, Georgia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It won't matter who the manager is if Levy doesn't give him the time to implement their plan. To expect top 4 the first season under a new manager is a bit unrealistic.

15. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this was my argument with sticking with AVB till the end of the season

16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    AVB had to go, he clearly wanted to go and as bad as it is under Sherwood, it's still been better than it was under AVB. Just got to make sure the next appointment is correct, although given the track record of appointments under Levy I'm not wildly optimistic.

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    to be fair, if he'd stayed, we'd probably be saying the same thing, but replacing 'sacked' for 'stuck with'.

i have no confidence, whatsoever, that we'd've come good with these players under AVB. i've no confidence we'll do so under tim. obviously, we'll never know what 'would have' happened. but in the end ... whatever.

just put in a shift today, boys. please.

18. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol this is just typical of spurs this season

Tottenham have defensive problems as they seek to overturn a 3-1 deficit in the second leg of their Europa League last 16 tie against Benfica.

Younes Kaboul is suffering from an unspecified injury, while fellow centre-backs Vlad Chiriches, Michael Dawson and Jan Vertonghen are also out.

Defensive midfielder Sandro might have to play as a makeshift centre-back.

England right-back Kyle Walker may also miss the trip to Portugal because of a groin complaint.

19. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just rest the entire squad so we are fit for next season

20. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, we gave up on the Europa

dashiel repped this.
  21. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Will there be any antics from the joker Benfica manager tonight?

22. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dem subs, though.
    Hopefully he can be a bit more gracious in victory tonight.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    my only sliver of hope for this match lies in the fact that I've got to go to work tonight, and wouldn't be able to see what would be one of our more glorious European nights.

24. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ;)

A prize for the first person who posts this if a *certain* sub is used.

25. Tim1975

Tim1975 Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Stick a fork in, we're toast now. :oops: