Spurs in Turmoil, the Dutch Are On Life Support -- The Other Teams Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Val1, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks m8, high praise indeed from a man of your stature. No sarcasms...

I think that because Rafa's game is most centered on his physical abilities, that he will probably have the worst decline of the big three unfortunately. His shot placement is amazing but he relies a lot on his ability to out-run and out-work his opponents, which is a very punishing style in the long run (also why I think Andy Murray's window for winning a major is not particularly large).

It might be Roger who has the most graceful decline, seeing as how he relies least on physical abilities--or at least was the most physically deficient of the three.

Andy Roddick's an interesting player because in many ways he's a throwback to the old serve and volleyers, but he doesn't have as good of a net game as they do. I don't like watching him play because he's that worst combination (for me) of big serve, not much volleying. There isn't much to his game--big serve, run around backhands to use the big forehand.

Having said that, he did reach quite a few finals and won a major, so credit to him. But he accomplished most of what he did while the rest of men's tennis was still in flux, post-Sampras, and was still dominated by the boring big servers like him, Phillipousis and Marat Safin. But again, credit to him because he has continued to have decent success for a decade after his major win.

And all credit and praise goes to any man who comes home to Brooklyn Decker.

thebigman repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    safin was my favourite player, he could've dominated but was insane lol

huge amounts of power, won 2 majors though....

roddick has such a horrible backhand, aethetically and when i played, i love single handed backhands....it's one of the reasons i like roger fed and had a soft spot for sampras/rafter back in the day as well as henman

3. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    off-topic forum is right up there.... be clever and create a thread for it.

hughmanatee repped this.
  4. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, modern coaching is phasing it out. But, you're right, it's a thing of beauty. But, there's nothing wrong with slicing your backhands deep, as longs as they're angled properly and you capitalize on your opponent's trouble with them (which Roddick doesn't do).

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blame me for starting it. :)

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Murray is just unlucky to be playing in the Federer, Nadal, Djokovic era.
    Djokovic may become the best player ever but for now it belongs to Federer. When in form, like he was the last couple of days, the Swiss is simply irresistible. He has so much variety in his game. the dude is a joy to watch.

7. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    thanks

8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming back to topic..... Chelsea shopping spree is still going on. They have already added Hazard and Marin and are chasing Modric and Hulk. They may spend north of £ 100 M on players this offseason. Just insane.

" Chelsea appear to have beaten Tottenham Hotspur to sign the highly-rated Brazilian midfielder Oscar in a deal understood to be worth more than £22 million."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...spur-in-race-for-Brazilian-prodigy-Oscar.html

9. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy shit. They're just itching to spend whatever they can, now.

Was the Hulk signing ever confirmed?

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see that Suarez is playing in the Olympics. Good - I hope he tuckers himself out.

11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not confirmed yet. Apparently they will meet with Porto this week. £40 M fee asking price.

12. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    loved Rafter, Santoro, Michael Chang and Hingis

nowadays back Gasquet, Federer

thanks, ya'll for posting about the changes in technology. I always wondered what happened to those gunners

edit: can't front I thought Henin was a genius

13. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She has to be in the conversation of most talented player ever. What she was able to do in the era when women's tennis was taken over by Amazon women was credit to her ridiculous skill. Funny though, I never liked her on a personal level, but her game was brilliant.

14. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Are all the mods on holiday ?

TxTechGooner repped this.
  15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    she is a cheater. I dont care for her at all. She cost Serena that 2003 french open by cheating, and those French pricks cheered her on.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? You didn't see my Brooklyn Decker comment?
    :p

Oh well, yeah I suppose if folks want to continue discussing tennis, it'd be better to do so in an NSR thread.

17. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sent you a PM

18. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    though I am assured he is a fine gentleman of good breeding, I don't believe I've had the pleasure of Mr Decker's acquaintance and neither has Arsenal Football Club ;-)

19. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you wanna talk about football so bad, say something about football.

And Henin seems to be the Sergio Busquets of tennis.

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Miles, meet Brooklyn.

Brooklyn, meet Miles.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    she put her hand up and u think she cheated? u can't blame the loss for that, what a terrible scapegoat lol

she had the best female single handed backhand i have ever seen too

quality player

serena williams isn't exactly perfect herself

henin was much more talented but injuries killed her career sadly, same as hingis

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    that was Serena's first serve, the ump missed Henin putting her hand up and Serena hit it into the net because she didnt want to hit a player who called time.

The ump asked Henin if she put her hand up, and Henin stayed quiet to say that she didnt put her hand up.

Serena was up 4-2 and serving to go 5-2 up and that threw her off completely, along with the crowd being over the top for Henin.

and Henin admitted to cheating that day in an interview last year. So yes, Henin is a cheater and she had many other incidents of this too.

she had the best female single handed backhand i have ever seen too

Henin was more talented than Serena? nah, that crazy talk. Serena is the most talented tennis player ever. I stand by that statement.

Henin was a great competitor but she was a very dirty player. Comparing Serena abusing an ump (which isnt good) to Henin actually cheating is not a good comparison either.

and Hingis failed a drug test, iirc.

23. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In football news, Mario Gotze seemed very excited during his recent vacation.

24. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rangers application to the Scottish 1st Divi needs a majority vote. It stands as 2 yes, 13 no, 14 undecided -2 abstentions. First to 15 wins.

UEFA has warned Wilshere for tweeting he had bet on a teammate to score. Wilshere said he was joking and had not placed the bet for the game. It was back in December.

25. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw the tournaments. This looks like a winner to me.