Spurs in Turmoil, the Dutch Are On Life Support -- The Other Teams Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Val1, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    I remember commenting when I saw the Low/ballboy one that it was an incredibly relaxed thing to do at the time. Makes sense now.

2. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    As the official lover of Corinthians on this forum, I'll just say how pleased I am, to be finishing work, just in time to watch the second leg of the final today!

WoodDraw repped this.
  3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So were Keane and Scholes in 1999, but they made the choice not to join in the trophy celebration. It doesn't make what Terry did wrong, but I still respect Keane's and Scholes's decision more.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. He wasn't a part of that match because of a stupid decision on his part. He should have to always explain that.

4. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Creepy to hear Arsenal fans defend John Terry. The Tuesday Club crew even praised him on Armchair Euros the other day (I think it was mostly Alan Davies, not to tar them all with the same brush).

5. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    in purely footballing terms, he IS a good defender. on almost every other level he is an ass, or worse.

hughmanatee repped this.
  6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He is an ass.

I'll repeat that. John Terry is an ass.

However, I think he is a crucial player/leader/captain for Chelsea and I don't begrudge him for celebrating with the team.

I can see where you draw the line, Yoss, re Keane and Scholls. I guess for me, this sort of decision, and the differing choices made by different players isn't something I respect, or disrespect for that matter. We talk about winning all the time, that's why we play the games after all. Not having won anything above a couple of scholastic district titles, I don't really know what it must be like to lift the CL trophy. I'm not going to judge someone for how he celebrated.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he is chelseas tony adams

except tony adams banged caprice.....

8. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Please dont ever compare Tony Adams with John Terry

Ever

charlie15, WoodDraw and hughmanatee repped this.
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    haha u know what i mean, their lower quality and lesser human being talisman centre half

10. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Inexcusable.

11. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dare I say it, Rangers should pretty much go tell the SFA to shove it and try to get membership into the English system. That would really cool to see. Perhaps they can go to League 1.

12. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Beautiful, Beautiful, football played by Corinthians today.!!

It really was a pleasure to watch. Pass completion stats must have been amazingly high,
    for Corinthians, though I didn't see the final stats.

Boca had the lions share of the first leg, [1-1] in terms of passing, so..one might have expected Corinthians to play like the current England team....

.....but there was none of that.

I should mention that my interest in Corinthians, stems from the Brazilian bartender
    at my local.

They really are a joy to watch, and will be playing Chucking Felsea in the World Club Cup.

Another reason to like them.;)

fari repped this.
  13. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So what you think a club that is a tax dodgers, dodgy former own, can't get their house in order should leave Scotland and join the lower leagues of England? What club in their right mind would vote for that. Second, it isn't that the SFA doesn't want Rangers, the teams are pissed(and rightly so) that Rangers cheated and think they are above the law. Third, you must be a closet hun as your views are like most have I heard: Scottish football can't survive without Rangers. We deserve to be punished, but the punishments being handed out are too harsh.

14. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i think you'll find most rangers fans are as prepared as they can be expected to be to start at the bottom (do the right thing, take their punishment, etc), but don't think the other clubs are voting this way as anything other than a "get the knife in now, as hard as we can" so they have an opportunity they might not get again to try and win something by beating just 1 big team instead of 2.
    i'm no fan of either of the old firm, they've both poisoned scottish football (and society to a degree), not just morally but in ruining fanbases of smaller clubs, but now that it's too late to change it, you have to acknowledge that they are needed, even just to keep the other in check.
    in some ways rangers and celtic joining the english league could be a good thing in the very long term for the smaller home nations. it might open the doors to a proper uk league system and (from a purely selfish pov) could mean the inclusion of scottish and northern irish players back to being classed as homegrown (though just based on travelling logistics and costs i'd be very doubtful of NI teams playing tons of matches on the mainland. they'd need to actually club together and form a new team and all the problems that entails). the historical worry about a uk league was always the safeguarding of the individual national teams (fifa have always wanted rid of them and any uk league might give them leverage to push that agenda again).
    i could see the likes of hearts and motherwell slipping quite easily into a mid-championship level with extra income, extra player attraction and a bit of time. plenty of obstacles and history to overcome before any of that happened though, no doubt about it.

15. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lamb, I was referring to the Ranger supporters that I know personally. Some have been sensible, but others have 'they are out to get us' view. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the clubs that voted no did so as you had stated. I know Motherwell let the fans vote and that would be how they would vote(119/18% said yes Rangers could stay, 542/82% said no with 247 votes not returned).

The Old Firm balances each other out to a degree, but it will be interesting to see what happens with one of them out of the Scottish Prem. I say lets see how this season goes and then maybe make calls to change things up.

If one of them goes to play in the English league, then the other will need to follow. The problem then you have is what teams will agree to be relegated to make room for them or do you have one league with 22 teams, and that isn't including the traveling costs that some of those teams would have to fork out just to travel to Glasgow. You are looking at at least £600 for a bus alone.

16. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wrote it without thinking but kudos for pointing out the unintentional comedy in it.

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think this is an issue for the kangaroo court. This is worse than rooting for Arsenal and Chelsea at the same time. :)

18. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i'll start at the end. the likes of liverpool and manchester are almost the same distance to glasgow as to london, so anyone from, say, sheffield northwards isn't doing anything they already aren't. they may even prefer the shorter trip to glasgow or edinburgh than to portsmouth/southampton/brighton/norwich. eg. newcastle to edinburgh is half the distance of newcastle to london.
    it's fair to say the taxman WAS out to get rangers. while what rangers did was blatantly wrong, there's no doubt they would be "the example" and hit hard as possible to send a message. it's not hard to see why some of the rangers fans might develop a bunker mentality.

19. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Yes the Northern English teams might like it more, but can you see say League 1 going to a north/south type conference?

I blame Pompy for not being made an example of. However when you issue two contracts to players and only one that the tax man knows about, yeah the tax man will be out to get them.

20. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. generals soccer

Feb 7, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a moment too soon either.

22. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yay! No we can take a deep breath, and start pushing for video replay....:whistling:

23. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    BREAKING NEWS: FIFA will immediately amend the laws of the game to include the use of goal-line technology.
    BREAKING NEWS: FIFA approve the use of goal-line technology at the Club World Cup, Confederations Cup 2013 and World Cup 2014.
    just wait for the first time it goes wrong.........
    isn't it just more complicated bs that'll make it to the elite leagues and then the cost will be forced on lower leagues who can ill afford it?
    and while i'm at it, why in god's name weren't they looking at reverting the offside rule back to how it used to be (and last worked properly)? or the plague of shirt holding (esp in the box)? or how about educating some referees that the sport is still a contact game and the clean shoulder charge that (i think) hummels got a card for is still allowed.

24. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i missed the match. i am glad corinthians won. i've heard some talk about romarinho. did he play any?

25. Copperhead

Copperhead Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a closet Hun? Pathetic to believe that but moving on. I only said that from a very neutral perspective. However, the SFA doesn't want Rangers that's why they kicked them out. They don't want them because of the mess they were in. Also, I'm sure that the other teams have an ax to grind with the Old Firm so they saw this as the opportunity to kick one of them out. It would be foolish to not believe that they were all friends with Rangers and if they had a chance increase their opportunity for trophies and European football they wouldn't take it. The same would happen to Celtic. Scottish football is all but dead with them and hopeless without them or Celtic. The only SPL matches I would watch all year was the Old Firm derbies (they were always interesting) now that it's gone I won't be watching another match. All that said, I would love to see Rangers return to glory and give the middle finger to everyone else.