Spurs @ Arsenal - FA Cup 3rd round - 4 January

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Jan 2, 2014.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    when van der vaart ran by theirs, giving it the 'sssshhhhhhh' thing in a very animated manner ... boys, I loved that. and if any of theirs had throw shit at him for it, they'd've been utter, utter assholes.

soccernutter repped this.
  2. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If he scored and was giving the 'shhhhhh,' no big deal. But being stretchered off - aren't you supposed to be hurt? - and sitting up smiling and giving the score, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah walcott did nothing to deserve that. go home scum

4. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definition of trolling right there!

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well, yeah ... that's kinda the point. van der vaart's behavior after scoring against them left some bad taste in some of their mouths, as well. which I loved. and their's are loving Walcott right now for that 2-0 gesture. they should.

don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing you or any of ours for steaming about it. that's normal. but if you'd thrown something at him for it, I certainly would.

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    tell ya what, matey; I'm not sure the first half-dozen words of that post work very well with what comes after. you're absolutely right that such behavior is disgraceful, and yes, the handful who did that are our supporters. but as you're coming into our little home here, a bit of decorum might see you less inclined to tar our support with that brush. some of yours threw shit at adebayor after he scored for citeh. it was just as disgraceful. and most of yours blamed it on the behavior of the player. but then, none of ours came over to yours to imply that you're all a bunch of disgusting pricks. and if we had, I'm guessing yours would've called us trolls.

... so you see what I'm saying here. be nice. you can do it. I have faith in you. simply starting it off with "no offense, but ..." doesn't constitute diplomacy. I mean, unless you're john foster dulles, or something.

7. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    hey pook, you guys bought Soldado for how much?

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    :D

bastard.

that's not really the kind of 'diplomacy' I'm looking for, here, nick.

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's right, though. I thought the same damned thing watching that game... effin' Soldado can't hit the broad side of a barn... I mean, if you think about it, a goal is the size of a small barn's side. So, here's the thing: he can't hit it can he? So, the cliche is now truism about Soldado and that is effin' sad.

We put out our best (but tired) lineup against them and were run off the field.

Now out of two of 4 competitions. What's next?

10. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    #85 Yas-The-Gunner, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
    **video deleted for lack of effort or flavor**

11. Raffaelo

Raffaelo Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Wandering the Desert
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It's the Ricky Bobby gambit - "It's in the Geneva convention"

12. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    I'll say it - today's PL clubs don't care about the FA cup. Sure, when the 3rd round weekend rolls around, managers and players alike say all the right things, usually prompted by English terrestrial tv who flog the "Magic of the FA cup" to death likely in response to not having any live premier league football to show. But at season start the only teams who attach any importance to the FA cup are those going for outright domination ("going for the treble") or those not quite in the elite ("European qualification/premier league survival first and foremost and a good cup run"). Premier League players do not fantasise about playing away from home against lower league opposition; their best case outcome inthese instances is merely to not ******** up.

Giving the FA Cup winner a Champions League qualifying slot would change all this, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

13. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you all know if clubs in la liga and serie A care about their versions of the fa cup aka copa de ray and coppa italia? I think winners of the copa italia are given a Europa spot.

14. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just need to beat them at home in the league like last couple of years, then all their fans and player will magically fall silent as ever. Certainly saw enough to suggest that will happen, just need to tighten up a bit with the lineup selections.

Bentalab is quality, but making his first start in this game? Needed Capoue, which would also have freed up Dembele more.

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    c'mon balance. be fair. a footy goal hardly represents the broad side of a barn. more like the broad side of a large shed. 'soldado couldn't hit the broad side of a large shed' would be fair. or maybe, at worst, the narrow side of a small barn. but i firmly believe, and with the proper software program could probably prove, that soldado is quite capable of hitting the broad side of a barn. on occasion, anyway.

BalanceUT repped this.
  16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He can hit it every time, he just needs to be 12 yards away and dead centre of the area :p

BigEffingGooner and BalanceUT repped this.
  17. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    I’ve zero problem with Walcott’s “gesture”. If it isn’t racist, sexist, homophobic or something that wouldn’t be acceptable off the pitch I’m fine with it on.

BigEffingGooner repped this.
  18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ok. now I try to do well by you lot. I post over at yours, and in no way discourage you from posting on ours. I enjoy the banter. but this just won't do. we've got posters on this board that get fed up with trolling, and whilst I'm slow to get annoyed by it, i am utterly incapable of defending such feeble efforts as this. it has no redeeming qualities or purpose for being here.

it needn't be much - ho meat's last effort is quite subtle, yet perfectly acceptable - so just put a sliver of effort in and it'll all be ok. if you can't be diplomatic, at least be amusing. so step it up, people, or just don't post here.

BigEffingGooner, BalanceUT and Raffaelo repped this.
  19. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    :p

Sad times, dad and stepfamily have left Chicago...no clue when I'm headed that way next...

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    damn, that's no good. lord knows i never get to southern california.

you gonna get over to london at all this spring? i'm about 90% for the north london derby in march. if we beat dnipro (which i'm significantly less sure of than if AVB were still on board), we'll be at home the thursday prior ... and most likely against benfica. throw in brentford on tuesday, brum on wednesday, and sheffield wednesday on saturday, and that's a week of proper english(/european) footy.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In truth, no he didn't. Fans, of all stripes and shades, need to grow up and realize that stupid shit like throwing things on the field takes away from the game. I thought we wanted to kick violence out of football. Well, good job that.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Rose's first start was v. Arsenal...just sayin'

23. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

jeez, that is the first time i have ever been clairvoyant.

Walcott out for 6 months.

phoenixhazard and dashiel repped this.
  24. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stole this but funny :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389034145.476952.jpg

25. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    @leocal11 is a warlock. Try to use your powers for good.