Spring 2014 Bradenton U-17 Residency Program Class

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Peretz48, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team Roster by Position: Detailed Roster
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Eric Lopez (LA Galaxy Academy; Westminster, Calif.), Will Pulisic (Richmond Strikers; Mechanicsville, Va.), Kevin Silva (PDA; Bethlehem, Pa.)
    DEFENDERS (8): Hugo Arellano (Chivas USA Academy; Norwalk, Calif.), George Braima (Crew Soccer Academy; Columbus, Ohio), Nikkye De Point (Revolution Empire; Rochester, N.Y.), Tanner Dieterich (TN Soccer Club; Nashville, Tenn.), John Nelson (Internationals; Medina, Ohio), Matthew Olosunde (New York Red Bulls Academy; Trenton, N.J.), AJ Palazzolo (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri; O’Fallon, Mo.), Alexis Velela (San Diego Surf; San Diego, Calif.)
    MIDFIELDERS (10): Eric Calvillo (Real So Cal; Palmdale, Calif.), Jose Carranza (D.C. United Academy; Manassas, Va.), Kyle Gurrieri (NJSA 04; Totowa, N.J.), Thomas McCabe (PDA; South Orange, N.J.), Weston McKennie (FC Dallas Academy; Little Elm, Texas), Logan Panchot (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri; St. Louis, Mo.), Jaret Townsend (Real Colorado; Highlands Park, Colo.), Devin Vega (San Antonio Scorpions; San Antonio, Texas), Brian Zelaya (De Anza Force; San Mateo, Calif.), Alejandro Zendejas (FC Dallas Academy; El Paso, Texas)
    FORWARDS (7): Pierre Da Silva (New York Soccer Club; Port Chester, N.Y.), McKenzie Gaines (Lonestar SC; Austin, Texas), Christian Pulisic (PA Classics; Hershey, Pa.), Eric Matzelevich (Bethesda-Olney; Washington; D.C.), Elijah Rice (Chicago Magic PSG; Highland Park, Ill.), Raheem Taylor-Parkes (Philadelphia Union Academy; Wesley Chapel, Fla.), Haji Wright (LA Galaxy Academy; Los Angeles, Calif.)

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/u-17-mnt/2014/01/140107-residency-spring-roster-rel.aspx

Pl@ymaker and soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I don't know enough about the mechanics of this program or these players' individual situations to know what moves really mean, but for the record they seem to be:

GK (3): Silva in; Romero out
    D (down to 8 from 10): Martinez in; Palazzolo out; Da Silva was listed as D but is now listed as F
    M (up to 10 from 9): Carranza, Townsend in; Escudero out
    F (up to 7 from 6): Gaines, Matzelevich, Rice, Taylor-Parkes in; Coleman, Loera, Navarro, Teixeira out

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/u-17-mnt/2013/09/richie-williams-finalizes-residency-roster.aspx

Hararea and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    No kids from the Pacific NW, none from New England, none from Georgia or the Carolinas, none from Michigan or Minnesota, none from Houston, one from Florida and he moved to Philadelphia to join the Union academy (and he moved around a lot before that), one from Northern California.

Are we really expected to believe that these regions, combined, only produced two of the top 28 players born in 97 and 98. Seems a stretch.

I applaud them for finding kids from places like Nashville, El Paso and Rochester, but it still feels like huge, densely populated parts of the country with a rich youth soccer tradition were overlooked.

Tom Collingsworth and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Williams is behaving like he's going to be the U17 coach this cycle. Was his contract extended?

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Unless you have specific players in mind these type of regional 'how many' arguments always sound emotional to me.
    You tell us how many then tell us who they should replace. Then the next poster will do a 'how many' argument on the regions you've deleted from. Its statistical futility picking 28 15 yr old players in a country of 316 million people and 3.79 million square miles and think it should have some sort of perfect distribution to it all.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Pulling from a creaky memory bank -- I was under the impression that he had a four-year contract that began 2012. Incorrect?

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think there should be slots per each region or anything like that.

But when large population centers in warm weather areas or areas with strong soccer at the youth level aren't represented, the concern is that the scouting isn't adequate enough or, to take it a step further, that the coaching at the youth club level isn't doing its job as well as could be done.

I realize these things are cyclical and regions go through bull and bear cycles in terms of talent development and production. But it seems almost statistically impossible for densely populated areas to combine for so few players and that suggests something is amiss either in development or scouting.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. DiegoGambeta

DiegoGambeta New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Or perhaps the selection process has a political component resulting from the relationships among US Soccer honchos, DA DOC's etc. The politics at play seem to cycle as well apparently. Wasn't too long ago that a burst of NYRB players into a Bradenton class was raising eyebrows.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. Every time one of these rosters comes out we have this discussion of "why aren't there any players from X,Y, or Z???????????" And it seems we'll complain about a lack of players from Texas one cycle, and then another cycle we'll have "too many" players from Texas. In this team we have players from Dallas, El Paso, San Antonio, and Austin. [Come on Houston, get your act together!!!] I don't know what to make of the whole argument. I don't believe there are any agendas here. I do believe these evaluators are really doing their best to name the best squad without any sort of geographical influence. Do they do a good job? Hell if I know...................it's seemingly a very difficult task, though.

Namdynamo and blacksun repped this.
  10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    We know scouting in this country isn't fully developed because of the status the game has in our country today and the fact the US is so large. That scouting imperfection isn't solved by putting 28 15 yr old soccer players in some equal distribution tables based on regional or state populations. Your scouting concern is legit, its just not revealed in your example as to why.

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Statistically speaking picking 28 of anyone for anything is not going to have equal distribution in the US.
    Our sample size is way too small. If we take everyone invited to a camp or to residency over a 10 yr period we'll see a much more appropriate distribution. Its because we'd have hundreds of data points as opposed to only 28.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The data is right there (or something close to it) on US Soccer's web site. I actually started something like this once, then sort of decided enough was enough. Anybody up for taking a crack at it? I'd contribute, but not interested in doing it all.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think there is a lot to be excited about with this group of players. They have won two tournaments against some very good teams and have room for improvement since a number of key players have been missing of late.

I think this cycle has the capability to win the U-17 WC. They have consistently been beating the best countries in the world. They could also miss the U-17 WC by hitting ten posts in the deciding game and giving up an own goal. Anything can happen in the deciding game, but I think the talent of this cycle is what is most impressive. I thought Flores, Redding and Rubin were exciting prospects from the last cycle, but the amount of exciting prospects on the team this cycle seems to have doubled.

It would be great if they win the U-17 WC and it would be a bummer if they miss the WC, but I think we are really starting to see an improvement in the quality of players. In previous cycles, there was only one or two superstar players, but now there are so many of them. Silva, Barbir, Lara, De La Torre, C. Pulisic, Albelo, Perez, Wright and Gallardo are all super impressive prospects.

14. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Win the U17 WC?!…. woah nelly!!!

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why not? They have been beating teams that are usually pretty good at the youth level.

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    bajansoccer and sammy87 repped this.
  17. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Romero the GK is now in camp w Mexico U17.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  19. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter what parts of the country are going to be overlooked. Plus we do not know any more information about the process. Maybe they invited 3 players from Cali and they said no.

20. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    US U-17 2014 Aegean Cup

soccersubjectively repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    J.R. Eskilson
    ‏@JREskilson
    The U17 MNT will take part in an international tournament in Bosnia/Croatia in early April, according to a source. #usynt

soccersubjectively repped this.
  22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Is it really the best development to have a quick succession of 4 games in 7 days then 2-3 months off then another international tournament. Can't these U16 players play every week vs U18 DA teams throughout the country mostly in SE then go to carefully selected torunaments? They need to be competing week in week out.

bajansoccer repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Serious question: Are they not doing this? I always assumed they played competitive matches on a semi-regular basis and only "told us" about certain ones (international tournaments, other showcases, etc.) when they met a certain standard.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Good Point. They may be doing this and I'm not privy to it. I do surf the net too much to not have read something about it and I don't see them on the US DA websites. I could have missed it but don't think so. http://ussda.demosphere.com/schedules/2013-2014/all.html
    Edit: Above someone posted Raheem Taylor Parkes twitter awhile back: Beat Clearwater u18 today. Played the first half. with a picture of him in his US jersey so its possible. Would love more specifics and transparency for us super fans.

25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I believe they play the Tampa Bay area clubs fairly regularly, obviously they share the same facilities with IMG. Would assume they travel to play some of the other Southeast teams, but still not a consistent enough of a playing environment.