Sporting vs Montreal 4/19 7:30 p/i/p [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Apr 16, 2014.

1. nbtc971

nbtc971 Member

Dec 26, 2006
    I'm an FC Dallas fan, but was watching the highlights of your game on MLSLive when I got this screen capture...

[​IMG]

Don't tell my wife, but I think I'm in love. Sporting KC is now my new favorite #2 team. ;)

2. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, we are known across the world for our crazy little women.

I'm kind of amazed at how quickly Montreal has turned into a walking bag of suck. (Oh, wait, Klopas. Nevermind.) Anyway, the second half of that was fun. Dom was getting manhandled all night long, so it was fitting that he shoved it down their throats, twice.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that's just a little twinge for Collin. Dude was a beast again tonight.

3. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Is it just me, or are tight little jean shorts that show your butt in for the ladies this fashion year?

Awe, Sporting Park. So much better than that old baseball field.

@nbtc971 I hope you're in high school (note, the junior patch).

4. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first half was a bit uninspired, but they made up for it in the second half. What I am impressed with is the trend of the last couple of games in shots vs shots on goal for SKC. They used to shoot a bunch and struggle to get a couple on goal, but now they are getting about half their shots on goal. Less attempts, but more quality shots is good for building a more potent offense. I like it.

5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, the final result pretty much precludes any complaints I might have. I was hoping to see more of Bieler and possibly any of Dovale, though the injury to Collin might have thrown that off.

Still, always good to see Dwyer getting goals. Anyone have an idea of when the last Sporting player to get a hattrick was? Has to have been years.

6. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still prefer Bieler in most situations. Dom had a great game though.

Our best CF is still Collin though - a goal and an awesome dummy to set up another... and was the pressure in the OG.

7. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Have we had one since the Diop game?

8. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    OMG diop that guy we either suck or score multiple goals

9. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank god for that OG... it made Montreal have to come out a bit from their shell (which they did very well with, when they were doing it).

10. nbtc971

nbtc971 Member

Dec 26, 2006
    I refuse to answer that question. :p

11. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, that first half hour or so had Chicago flashbacks written all over it.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still stand by prior statements that Bieler is the better striker and think he should be starting.

No.

Oobers repped this.
  13. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Agreed with the others, that game didn't do a whole lot to change my opinion on who should be starting. Of course, who knows what Vermes' plan is. Shame to have such talent sitting on the bench.

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Four years ago? Man, that's nuts. I mean, sure, SKC have never been a team built around a single scorer, but you'd think it would happen once in a while. Trying to think... last year, in league play, I remember a few braces at least: Zusi, Myers, Saad, Bieler, Kamara, Sapong. That might be it. And funny, I'm not entirely sure if the Zusi brace ever was last year. Hm.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. no way he puts it off of the keeper's face on his 1v1. dom did well tonight, no question, but he could be absolutely awesome if he'd finish like a striker should.

buzz, get in your little stat machine there and find out when the last time was that we won by 4 goals... or better yet, 4 goals to nil. goddamn that's good stuff. more please.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year vs Chivas.

kcscsupporter repped this.
  17. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

KopRules and Soccer7947 repped this.
  18. DemDave

DemDave Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    75% possession in the first half is unreal. But nothing to show for it other than an own goal.

Second half was another story...thankfully.

19. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This again. Last night: 12 shots, 7 on goal (58%), 4 goals (57%). Take out the own goal and it was 11/6/3 (I think?) Regardless, those are good numbers. My neighbor and I shook our heads when, somewhere around the 20' mark, we still had zero shots but all that crazy possession.

And this. We agree.

20. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to say a couple of things about Collin's performance.
    1) On the play where he made the stop at the goal line: He was excellent. The TV replay doesn't do it justice, because the field of view was so narrow. He was clearly in a 2 on 1 and he tracked to the middle, while staying within challenging distance of the player on the right with the ball - slowing the play just a little and preventing the pass to the player charging down the middle-left. Then he pulled off to the line when they got to the box, and was in position to block the shot once Kronberg challenged the ball and forced the attacker to pass. VERY well done, IMO.
    2) His goal: Nice strike. Lots of credit to Dom and Olum for the hustle, work, and more hustle. Tenacity made that goal happen.
    3) The dummy play for Dom: He went forward on the free-kick from just inside midfield and it looked like Seth and Matt were not happy with it... they were calling him back, but he just asserted himself to be in an attacking position. Again, this wasn't visible on TV - they were focused on the yellow card issuance. Then he was there as the ball went wide and came back in across the box... and what a dummy. Glorious. He immediately grabbed his hamstring after the dummy... Please, please, don't let that be a problem...

All in all... MOTM.

vividox repped this.
  21. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that title belongs to yoga pants.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently it was "tightness" that pulled him off. Hopefully that's all it is.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Felipe completely disappeared in the second half after Romero subbed in for Mapp. It almost looked like they switched to 2 forwards, but he was non-existent in the second after causing us tons of trouble in the first.

24. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the stats are 12 shots, 7 on goal (58%), 3 goals (43%). The own goal followed a Besler long throw and did not count as a shot by SKC.

Vermes specifically said during the postgame press conference that his major halftime adjustment was doing a better job of closing down Felipe. Hard to say how much of the difference in the second half is attributable to that vs. the Montreal sub.

25. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Felipe was number 7, right? Because he was the only danger man Montreal had last night. Guy made some brilliant, scary runs. Good work on the defense on stopping them up.

When Jack Mac came in, though, I knew the Impact weren't going to score. He just never seems to me to be much of a good counterattacking striker. I think he's going to have a very long and frustrating season. Gotta be hard to be a good poacher for a team that is always stuck in its own half.