Children's Mercy Park / New Member Info

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Apr 7, 2011.

1. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done.

2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Also edited out all the dead links in my OP. Apparently the virtual venue is the only link that remains.

3. shawnvb

shawnvb Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys. I guess I should introduce myself here since I'm new to the board...

I'm a big Sporting fan, live in Lee's Summit, sophomore in high school so I am probably one of the younger ones here (at least I am on the other boards I've been on). Hope to have some good SKC discussions!!:)

ETA: is there any reason that avatars have to be so small (file-size-wise)?

4. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welcome. unfortunately, this forum is half of what it used to be, but it still can muster up some good discussions every now and then.

5. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did everyone who has season tix in the members' stand get the email about the changes to the seating down there? they're now going to be hole-punching the stubs and using stamps on people's hands before you enter the seating area. that should slow things down really nicely.

6. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    They have to do something about people sneaking in to the members club.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I wish they'd do it at the doors to get into the club not to get to the seats, cause that'll be a major pain, especially at halftime.

dgb09 repped this.
  8. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think the seats would be faster. That's what, 6 or so lines of people who may or may not leave as opposed to two. Though, this will be a pain for anyone who breaks the seal in the first half. ;)

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But at the door you only get checked once (twice if you go to the main concourse and come back) instead of potentially multiple times for food, beer, bathroom, etc.

10. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That makes sense. I think I read it wrong. They only punch/stamp if you leave the MC, not coming in the first time, right? Because that would make sense.

11. DemDave

DemDave Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

They punch it when you leave the MC heading out to the bleachers. So you enter the club as you have all season. But when it's time to go out to the bleachers, they'll punch your seat locator/ticket and stamp you. If you leave the bleachers to go to the bathroom or get a burger, you'll need to show your UV stamp to re-enter the bleachers.

Right now, someone could collect several seat locators from people already in the MC, leave the MC, and hand the seat finders to their buddies who have tickets to sit elsewhere so they could gain admission. Then you'd have an over capacity MC.

A bit off topic: While they're messing with the way ticketing works in the MC, it would be nice if they would print the words "General Admission" somewhere on MC tickets. I can't count how many times some noob has tried to argue with someone because they have an MC ticket with a specific section and seat on it.

12. KC1996

KC1996 Member

May 11, 2013
    This may be a dumb topic but do you think Sporting Park will ever dedicate a stand to someone in the future? Like if Peter Vermes stays with SKC for another 10 years and wins multiple trophies can you see ownership having a "Peter Vermes Stand"

13. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Vermes Coors Light Corner?

PezJunkie repped this.
  14. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    New here, 1st post. Been lurking here since about May. I am in Army at Fort Leavenworth. Been a huge soccer fan/convert since 2002 when I was lucky to be stationed in Korea. Went to every USMNT game and a few others, from what I can remember it was one of the best months of my life.

Originally from Connecticut, so I am a big UConn fan as well.

This is my second time living in the KC area. In 2009 I attended a bunch of Wizards games at Community America.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow night!

jtreg, vividox, AdamRS and 3 others repped this.
  15. Luke Campbell

Luke Campbell Member

May 16, 2013
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Welcome aboard. Will you be at the match tomorrow night?

16. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome. Your experience at Sporting Park should be night and day compared to CAB.

17. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You bet. Taking a buddy of mine since my girlfriend is out of town.

18. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It really is. I've actually been here since last spring. Only been to about 8 games since moving back, if you count the All Star game. I actually scored the best kind of tickets for that one, FREE haha. I was on a trip back from Portland and on my leg out of PDX, I was sitting next to a guy from the Timbers front office, we chatted about MLS the whole flight and I ended up with some turned back corporate seats.

But I am kicking myself now for not getting season tickets!

19. Southwest Sport

Aug 25, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hello. Worthless n00b here wanting to know more about SKC, the game itself, and hopefully something better than those idiots at One Arrowhead Drive have been "giving" me for the last decade-plus.
    I lived in KC for 20 years, but I'm in Albuquerque now. I feel KC is a great place and deserves a winning franchise. I've gotten so fed up with the "Please don't hurt the QB league", that I'm seeking new options.

Please don't shank me.

Thank you.

20. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Welcome to the forum, @Southwest Sport. We've got a pretty knowledgeable user base who can answer any questions you have. Also, you'll be happy to know that shanks are down 37% from last quarter.

21. Southwest Sport

Aug 25, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

lol. Excellent.

22. Southwest Sport

Aug 25, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So, where could a worthless n00b, such as myself, go to start learning the nuances of the game? It's one thing to read The Laws, but quite another to see them in action. Any good sites where I could bone up?

Also, I noticed that per Law the refs are given quite a bit of discretion when it comes to fouls. How concrete are the laws in this regard, and has this level of judgement cost a club the game in a superfluous or questionable manner?

23. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bunch of videos here that where done for the World Cup - http://commoncraft.com/soccerguide#the-offside-call

Or just ask away -- plenty of "experts" around here :)

Southwest Sport repped this.
  24. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, you don't even have to ask. We offer our "expert" opinions freely. :D

Southwest Sport and kopiteinkc repped this.
  25. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your best bet is probably to watch some games with someone who knows all those nuances. if that's not a realistic option for you where you are, you just need to put in time watching games. you'll pick them up. it's no different than any other sport in that regard. i know non-soccer fans are conditioned in this country to think that soccer is a simple game where you just run and kick a ball, and the fact that you already recognize that soccer is tremendously deeper and laced with nuances is the best first step you could possibly take.
    i'd recommend watching shows like 'match of the day' on nbcsports (usually every saturday night and sunday afternoon) for highlights and analysis of english premier league matches. it doesn't matter if you're not a fan of any of those clubs. they do a pretty good job of breaking some things down in many of the games. also try to watch 'espn fc' on espn (it's on almost every day on espn2, i think, right around 4:30pm or 5pm... i can't remember specifically, my dvr just records all of them). it's usually a half-hour show that shows highlights from many leagues (including mls) and has some good discussions (and sometimes not-so-good discussions, but it's easily fast-forwardable). sometimes the show really drags when they spend way too much time talking about real madrid or barca over and over and over (or any of the really big clubs that hog attention), but sometimes they really get into some good meat when they analyze "what went wrong." take yesterday's show, for instance. two of the guys on the panel went step-by-step in showing how liverpool's defense made a complete mess of how to handle the attack that manchester city was throwing at them in their game on monday.
    now, of course, it goes without saying that you should try to watch every skc game you can. many people on here recommend picking up the mls game package through your internet/cable provider. i can't speak to that,though, as i don't have it.

the laws themselves are very concrete and quite specific. the discretion comes in the ref's head when he's looking at something and deciding on interpretation. has the ref's judgement ever cost the club a game? ab. so. lutely. it could easily be argued that it cost kansas city a championship back in 2004.

Southwest Sport repped this.