News: Sporting KC to host Manchester City on July 23rd

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Mar 18, 2014.

1. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If City win the league I am not going, if Liverpool win the league, I will be the full kit wanker dressed all in Red!! ;) :D

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if they both shit the bed and Chelsea wins it? :D

3. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoon will be unbearable?

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I must not think about the unthinkable! :)

5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, that would be super lame. I don't really have a dog in the fight (I'd prefer Everton, I guess, but I might as well be rooting for the Royals to win the Super Bowl), though Liverpool winning sounds more interesting. Also, Stevie G.

6. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mobile email is too complicated for me. That or gmail wigged out. I'm going with the latter so I don't look so bad.

7. andrew74354

andrew74354 Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cauldron tickets went on sale at 11am they still have some left cost me $124 for my two.

8. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be the first friendly I am not going to buy tickets for in the last 15 years. The costs are just too high for me.

9. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That is hideously expensive. Maybe I'll get lucky and snag an SRO like for the All-Star game last year. Shame, though, as City is a pretty interesting team.

Hard to get too excited about this, though, as the Open Cup timetable was just released and I realized that, yes, I'm ten times as excited to (hopefully) go to Sporting Park to watch SKC take on a lower-division team than I am to see them play one of the premier clubs in the world.

Uppa 90 repped this.
  10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Me too. I am skipping this one.

11. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's costing me $200 to fly to Chicago for the chi/SKC game. I'll gladly pay that, but not this.

That said, I hope Robb & Co. achieve their objectives with this friendly (whatever they may be). I'll happily watch it indoors with air conditioning - if tv is an option.

12. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. Love sitting in the Shield Club for games that matter, but I'm not paying that price to watch our scrubs take on a Man City side that will almost certainly be missing anyone who went to the World Cup.

Maybe I'll grab a single closer to game day if I change my mind.

13. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My rep called me last Friday to remind me that the tickets were on exclusive pre-sale... I have exactly the same feelings as mentioned in the previous posts. Too much money for a friendly against a premier club that likely will be missing most of its stars. Bring on the USOC. I'll read about this one after the fact.

14. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Can't really get excited about this. I'll watch on TV.

15. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I finally opted to not reserve my tickets. Just couldn't get myself to lay down $170 for a friendly.

16. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this lack of support from some core supporters, I would be really interested in hearing how sales are going for it... did this get aimed at a target audience different than the average STM? Or is this one of the first big overreaches for Rob?

And I can't really imagine TV coverage for this, especially if the comments here are indicative of sales...

17. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no desire for it and probably still wouldn't watch it on tv unless it was a background kind of things. Between all the youth stuff I do and regular Sporting games, mid-summer is kind of my down time. After the WC I will be pretty much soccered out until fall.

18. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, teams like Man City and Chelsea can get massive numbers of casuals interested. I imagine it might play into that demo. Didn't City and Chelsea sell out a few friendlies this last year in spectacular fashion?

19. glenthas

glenthas Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got a call offering another chance to purchase my tickets despite missing the deadline so I'm assuming sales are not going well.

20. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I also didn't buy my allotment, so I do think this will require much more of a marketing effort to create demand, unless the non-season ticket base will jump at the opportunity to buy once the tickets are available to the general public.

21. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I feel like these big name clubs bring out the casual fans and the - for lack of a better descriptor - eurosnobs. I don't doubt that the game will sell out and be a success, but I can definitely understand most STMs passing on a friendly when it costs that much. It's more geared for the guy who might go to one soccer game in a year, IMO.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From looking at their roster, Hart, Kompany, Zabaleta, Nasri, Dzeko, Negredo, Garcia, Navas, Aguero, Silva, Clichy, Demichelis, Toure are all guys that could be headed to the World Cup. Doesn't leave much of an exciting roster, but it'll also depend on when some of these countries go out. Cause they'll be playing in the ICC this summer and will likely bring in some later for that too.

23. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Perhaps we should all look on the bright side: at least it's City and not Chelsea.

Who wants to fork over a couple of Benjamin's to watch one of the richest deepest clubs in the world shamelessly defend with 37 players for 1.5 hrs in the heat of the summer ! ! ! !

kopiteinkc repped this.
  24. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bunker Bob Gansler?

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the game is apparently going to be on ESPN2. One of like 5 games being shown that day on TV.