Sporting KC Preseason 2013

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Jan 2, 2013.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I definitely agree on wanting to see more Saad and Dwyer in first team games. We've had several break out players the last several years. If we are going to make a serious push for MLS Cup this year, those have got to be the guys to do it this year.

2. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Saad and Dwyer get time in competitive matches, whether it be with us or with Orlando. If they're ready to do it for us, great, bring them on... but if not then Orlando is going to be a very beneficial experience.

If they get the time, I think they'll make the jump.

3. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Shreveport, LA (temporarily displaced from KC)
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So. After the NCFC game today I don't hold much hope of seeing Kei again for a few years at least. Where is Bunbury in his rehab? I didn't notice him in Orlando, is he training/rehabbing with the team?

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's started running without a ball, but it's still probably at least summer til he's playing again.

5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Man, you guys are sounding like USMNT fans after a loss in Honduras that no one expected us to win.

You are forgetting one big factoid: It's February. Kei's loan ends in May and the memory of one game could be long, long, LONG gone by then. I certainly don't want Kei to do poorly in England, but this by itself in no way cements a tenure there.

6. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, I wonder if the bromance between Sapong and Kamara is waning since Kei has found a new dance partner in Sebastien Bassong?
    [​IMG]

Unak78 repped this.
  7. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's a broloan.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  8. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Did I miss video of the Bieler goal or does it not exist?

9. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I saw that Convey didnt play last preseason game, 2/23, v TFC. Anyone know his status for March?

10. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    OK nevermind. Just saw KC Star article where Convey says hes basically in the best shape hes ever been entering a season.

11. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Shreveport, LA (temporarily displaced from KC)
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Convey:
    He came in for a few minutes against the Rowdies. He basically stayed high and left and let the forward passes come to him then crossed them in. He looked good but wasn't getting after it. Figure he wouldn't be in if he wasn't feeling ok. He did NOT warm up with the other guys, just sat on the sidelines, before the Rowdies game.

12. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Hmm. Sapong. Bassong. Maybe the moves are all in the name.

No but you have to be prepared for it. In his first two appearances he's done pretty much all that they wanted from him. Especially considering that Norwich is a team that is starved for goalscorers. The fans already love him for his persistence and acrobatic play. He's even won over the ones who doubted him bc of his legendary miss a few years back. Now half of the City fans are doing heart-shaped hands.

Any sign that he might give them a spark in games that he's in will make it more likely that he stays there and he's pretty motivated by the fact that this is, for all extents and purposes, an extended trial. It could all go wrong, but for the moment, he's looking like a man who takes every minute on the EPL pitch like it may be his last. And considering that he's at the tail-end of his 20's and the fact that his national team isn't highly ranked, he knows it.

One big ? mark is, how will he respond if they ever decide to start him. It's one thing to come into a match for limited minutes, knowing that you have to go all out for a goal and what the mission is, and another to manage a full 90-minute effort where you also have to manage your touches and hold the ball. He could give a very different impression in a full match where too many wild attempts or overzealous touches is seen in a different light. Also an opportunity for more mistakes. So we'll see. I doubt they put him in the starting 11 though. The reason they got him is bc he gives them a change of pace and style.

Although the fact that they're already singing songs about him after TWO GAMES...

...no pressure huh? So if this thing turns on him, it will be really really bad considering that he hasn't exactly slipped in under the radar for a club like Norwich which badly needs heroes.

13. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [quote="Unak78, post: 27314176, member: 118827"

Although the fact that they're already singing songs about him after TWO GAMES...

...no pressure huh? So if this thing turns on him, it will be really really bad considering that he hasn't exactly slipped in under the radar for a club like Norwich which badly needs heroes.[/quote]

This is freaking hilarious,,, less than 90 minutes total on the field in 2 games and they are singing songs about Kei Kamara... and I though we were desperate for a goal scorer...

Unak78 repped this.
  14. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    It's kinda like meeting a really hot chick who you're into, but then getting weird when she's already talking about marriage after two dates which consisted of driving her home and sharing 10 pc nuggets at McDonalds.

There's alot of truth to the fact that some of the older players like Keane come here in part to avoid this.

15. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another "in studio" version...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21631550

I hope these discussions of Kei won't need to move to the alumni thread, but at this rate....
    I know we just met last week and boy those McNuggets were good... do you wanna meet my folks?

Unak78 repped this.
  16. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Ugh, poor Kei. I do not envy him. Even in SKC, the fans have never put this type of spotlight on him. On BBC, no less. You try to keep expectations low in this situation bc it's still a tryout... he's gotta be cringing at his flat or wherever he's staying at. I hope he can handle this type of pressure. They already expect him to score against Man U.

17. siskoeva

siskoeva Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    so the Norwich v. Man U game is on ESPN 2 HD tomorrow unless you are Streaming

18. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    That is a game worth tuning in for.

19. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Rewatching the full highlights of that Man U game showed that Kei had a good showing. Giggs, Scholes, Wellbeck.